HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Landlords fined $276,000;...

Sat May 9, 2015, 12:01 PM

Landlords fined $276,000; evicted tenants to make vacation rental

Two San Francisco landlords who evicted tenants and then turned their home into a lucrative vacation rental must pay $276,000 in penalties and abide by a tough injunction, according to the terms of a settlement with City Attorney Dennis Herrera.

“There is a steep price to pay for flouting laws that restrict short-term rental uses in San Francisco,” Herrera said in a statement. “Illegal conversions that push long-term tenants out of their homes diminish the availability of residential rental units for San Franciscans, and they’re a significant contributor to our housing affordability crisis.”

Herrera sued Darren and Valerie Lee a year ago on the grounds that they used the Ellis Act to jettison long-term tenants, including one who was disabled, from a Pacific Heights Victorian, and then offered it on HomeAway and VRBO as a short-term rental.

Herrera said a listing described the four-bedroom residence as an “exquisitely renovated home” and charged $395 to $595 a night with a three-night minimum stay.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Landlords-fined-for-evicting-tenants-to-make-a-6246550.php

2 replies, 872 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Landlords fined $276,000; evicted tenants to make vacation rental (Original post)
FreakinDJ May 2015 OP
yeoman6987 May 2015 #1
Starry Messenger May 2015 #2

Response to FreakinDJ (Original post)

Sat May 9, 2015, 01:08 PM

1. I'm torn I guess.

They probably should have done this through attrition. When one tenant leaves turn it into a vacation place. Eventually they'd have what they want without pushing out the renters. You can't do anything you want with your property.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to FreakinDJ (Original post)

Sat May 9, 2015, 02:16 PM

2. k&r

Good.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread