HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Man Brutally Beaten By De...

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:24 PM

Man Brutally Beaten By Deputies 12 Days Ago Agrees To $650,000 Settlement from Taxpayers

SAN BERNARDINO (CBSLA.com) — A Southland man who was beaten by several sheriff’s deputies following a chase involving a stolen horse has reached a $650,000 settlement with San Bernardino County, officials announced Tuesday.

Attorneys for Francis Jared Pusok finalized the settlement with the county in connection with Pusok’s April 9 arrest in Apple Valley, according to San Bernardino County spokesman David Wert.

Pusok, 30, fled by car and then on horse in the desert while deputies chased him on foot after trying to serve a search warrant in an identity-theft investigation.

The county Board of Supervisors unanimously approved the settlement in closed session Tuesday, Wert said.

According to the terms of the agreement, the county acknowledges no wrongdoing and settles all potential claims from Pusok that could stem from the incident.

“The sole purpose of this agreement for both parties is to avoid the costs involved in litigation,” said Board of Supervisors Chairman James Ramos. “This agreement is a fair outcome for everyone involved, including the taxpayers.”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/04/21/horse-pursuit-suspect-beaten-by-deputies-agrees-to-650000-settlement/

I'm guessing since the county admits no wrongdoing, the deputies involved in this will be placed back on duty and his lawyer will get a massive chunk of the taxpayer funded settlement.

23 replies, 1879 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 23 replies Author Time Post
Reply Man Brutally Beaten By Deputies 12 Days Ago Agrees To $650,000 Settlement from Taxpayers (Original post)
951-Riverside Apr 2015 OP
tularetom Apr 2015 #1
BlueCaliDem Apr 2015 #2
nadinbrzezinski Apr 2015 #3
msongs Apr 2015 #4
Trillo Apr 2015 #5
Politicalboi Apr 2015 #6
951-Riverside Apr 2015 #8
Politicalboi Apr 2015 #11
Logical Apr 2015 #9
Politicalboi Apr 2015 #13
bvar22 Apr 2015 #16
Logical Apr 2015 #18
951-Riverside Apr 2015 #19
Logical Apr 2015 #22
Dyedinthewoolliberal Apr 2015 #23
libdem4life Apr 2015 #7
Scurrilous Apr 2015 #15
951-Riverside Apr 2015 #17
lpbk2713 Apr 2015 #10
onethatcares Apr 2015 #12
Scurrilous Apr 2015 #14
libdem4life Apr 2015 #20
PowerToThePeople Apr 2015 #21

Response to 951-Riverside (Original post)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:27 PM

1. If the county settled this so quickly they had to know there was potential for a much higher award

Sounds to me like the guy could have gotten ten times that amount in court.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:28 PM

2. I.O.W., tyrannical, abusive cops get off scott-free - and shift financial burden on taxpayers

with a mere slap on the wrist.

This settlement is horrible on so many levels.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:29 PM

3. I am shocked to find out they settled this fast

and this low. Serious. This should have been in the millions.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:35 PM

4. all "settlements" for this kind of crime should come from the union, not the taxpayers nt

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:35 PM

5. How is it fair to taxpayers?

It's only fair to taxpayers if taxpayers pay $0.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:45 PM

6. So he leads them on a chase

Steals a horse, and is now going to be paid $650,000. He's lucky to get that. He may be guilty of identity theft. He got the same amount of money as those brothers who served decades on death row. He put that horse at risk and he stole it. He deserves nothing IMO. Since the cops were wrong for the abuse, just his freedom should be enough. He's still a criminal.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #6)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 03:13 PM

8. Damn right! He "should of" been executed

Not sayin' that they were right to mildly rough him up a little tiny bit during the arrest especially in front of news cameras but in countries like North Korea, China and Saudi Arabia he "would of" been executed, he's lucky to only get a 50 punches to the body and a few dozen boots to the head. He don't deserve nothin cause he is a filthy horce theif, if you don't want to get beaten or shot, don't run!

Just sayin'

...The country is so fucked.

Reply to this post

Response to 951-Riverside (Reply #8)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:29 PM

11. He shouldn't be executed LOL!

I never said that he should be. I just don't think he deserves all that money.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 03:21 PM

9. Lol, bet you miss the lynch mob days! Nt

Reply to this post

Response to Logical (Reply #9)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:32 PM

13. Did I say he should have been killed?

He stole a horse and he ran. Doesn't deserve a beating, but also doesn't deserve all that money. Cops should lose their jobs, his medical paid, and charges dropped is all he deserves. IMO. Nowhere near a lynch mob.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #13)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:46 PM

16. Is Horse Stealing still a hanging offense "out West" ?

Until the officers themselves are forced to pay the fines instead of the Taxpayers,
the situation will not improve.
The perpetrators of violence on the American People must feel some of the pain
instead of going on paid vacation.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #13)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:49 PM

18. When someone beats you for no fucking reason you deserve money! Wow! Nt

Reply to this post

Response to Logical (Reply #18)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 05:06 PM

19. Exactly!

He laid flat on his chest, he put his hands behind his back, he spread his legs out and they viciously beat the shit out of him.

Unbelievable!

I don't care what he did, you don't beat and torture people who have surrendered in a civilized society and for some people to somehow justify this by using double speak just shows how depraved we've become as a country.

My god! things are going to get real nasty real quick if people feel they could be beaten to death even if they give up.

Reply to this post

Response to 951-Riverside (Reply #19)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 10:30 PM

22. +1000

J

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 11:15 PM

23. Ummmmmmmm no-

there is no justification for a beating administered by several policemen for what turns out to be a property theft. If the cops hadn't thumped the shit out of him he wouldn't be getting anything.
Beating up citizens is for the most part, always wrong....... imho

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 02:47 PM

7. Require police to get individual Errors and Omisions Insurance. That's the quickest way

to ending this gross and unnecessary violence. That plus Citizen's Cell Phone Brigades.

Reply to this post

Response to libdem4life (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:38 PM

15. Agreed.

Reply to this post

Response to libdem4life (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:48 PM

17. +1

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 03:34 PM

10. I hope he doesn't experience any lingering impairments.

He could regret this later on down the road.

Reply to this post

Response to lpbk2713 (Reply #10)

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 04:29 PM

12. you mean like

getting pulled over for a broken taillight lens, or an expired inspection sticker or radio too loud.

those impairments can last a long time from what I understand.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 21, 2015, 08:34 PM

20. I did some checking on private E&O Insurance for police officers.

https://www.travelers.com/business-insurance/specialized-industries/public-sector/law-enforcement-liability-insurance.aspx

This is not cheap...don't know what it costs, but this is an answer to police abuse. I believe that in the past, it has been the situation that you can't sue the police or city officials. That has or is changing.

This is what we should press for...the policeman pays, just like attorneys, real estate agents, insurance agents, doctors, medical personnel, etc. who have the capacity to do far less damage.

This will be my battle cry now. This is something we can take to our "leaders" and insist they carry this because it is not fair for us to pay for the police salaries then pay for their screw-ups/murders. Oddly enough, Robert Bates provided some kind of insurance to Tulsa cops and other public agencies, I read somewhere, where he still gets paid and it's how he got wealthy.

We must insist that the police cover themselves with E&O insurance like everyone else does. Let the insurance company decide...let their premiums reflect their actions. That will weed the bad ones out real quick like, cause when they run out of insurance, they become personally liable. It must hit the pocketbook and there must be another party involved before anything will change.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread