HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Gym Pulls Woman's Members...

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 10:26 AM

Gym Pulls Woman's Membership After She Complained About a Transgender Woman in Locker Room

http://www.people.com/article/planet-fitness-cancels-womans-membership-transgender?xid=outbrain_peoplenews

Cormier says the gym is being unfair to her. "I feel it's kind of one sided," she told Michigan Live, suggesting that the gym instead provide a third locker room for transgender people. "I feel like I am the one who is being punished."

You are, Yvette, you are!!

9 replies, 1233 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Gym Pulls Woman's Membership After She Complained About a Transgender Woman in Locker Room (Original post)
Elmer S. E. Dump Apr 2015 OP
merrily Apr 2015 #1
Elmer S. E. Dump Apr 2015 #2
merrily Apr 2015 #3
patricia92243 Apr 2015 #4
MineralMan Apr 2015 #5
Nine Apr 2015 #6
LanternWaste Apr 2015 #7
Nine Apr 2015 #8
ManiacJoe Apr 2015 #9

Response to Elmer S. E. Dump (Original post)

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 10:46 AM

1. Hurray for PLANET FITNESS GYM in Midland Michigan.

The policy of corporate headquarters is "judgment free."

Welcome to Our Planet

Make yourself comfy. Because we’re Judgement Free. It doesn’t matter if your legs have never seen a squat machine before. We believe how you work out is totally up to you. Take advantage of our unlimited fitness training programs or just do your own thing on the treadmill, we’ll cheer you on either way - if you’re in our house you deserve a little cred just for being here.

We believe no one should ever feel Gymtimidated by Lunky behavior and that everyone should feel at ease in our gyms, no matter what his or her workout goals are. And everyone should have access to lots of nice new equipment and feel comfortable asking for help. With all of these great benefits under one roof, we like to say:

We’re not a gym. We’re Planet Fitness.
The Judgement Free Zone®

Planet Fitness is known for a lot of things – our low prices (and all the stuff you get for those low prices), our Lunk™ Alarm, and of course, our Judgement Free Zone®. We’re fiercely protective of our Planet and the rights of our members to feel like they belong. So we create an environment where you can relax, go at your own pace and just do your own thing without ever having to worry about being judged. This is your Planet. You belong.
Really, Planet Fitness just makes a lot of sense. (And if you think about it, cents.)

They seem to be getting the usual shit from the right, judging by some comments I saw on Google reviews while searching for the address. In my book, that makes it imperative for people who applaud their policy to commend them. (Wish I could find the email address, which is not as intrusive as calling, but I could not. If anyone can, please post.)

Planet Fitness
Corporate Campus
Address: 26 Fox Run Rd, Newington, NH 03801
Phone603) 750-0001

Each club is privately owned.

I'd say call and congratulate the Midland Club, but that might only tie up their phone line and their staff and do more harm than good.

But, if you want to drop them a postcard of thanks, that should not be too much strain on their resources. I am going to bookmark this until I can pick up a postcard.

Planet Fitness
701 Joe Mann Boulevard Midland MI 48642

Please, DU!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to merrily (Reply #1)

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:35 AM

2. It was Planet Fitness Corporate

That answer wasn't enough for Cormier. So she took her complaints to Planet Fitness's corporate office, where she was told the gym is a "no judgement zone" and as such they would not tell the transgender woman to stay out of the women's locker room, Michigan Live reports.

Reply to this post

Response to Elmer S. E. Dump (Reply #2)

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 11:39 AM

3. Thanks so much Then both deserve commendation. I'll edit.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 12:29 PM

4. Why would she care if a person is transgender? Did she think the transgender person

was "really" a man and she was afraid the "Man" would look at her naked or something.

It doesn't make a lot of sense - IMHO.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 01:18 PM

5. Bigotry gets you nowhere, except being kicked out

of places that don't tolerate bigotry.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 03:10 PM

6. Headline is misleading. And policy needs refinement.

Her membership was cancelled for harassing another member, not for lodging a complaint.

That said, while I oppose bigotry against transgender people, I can help but think that this policy is vulnerable to some abuse. The standard progressive viewpoint is that transgenderism shouldn't be defined by your operative state. Nor by the masculine or feminine expression of your clothing (i.e. a transgender woman shouldn't have to wear a dress; she is as entitled to wear jeans and a sweatshirt as any woman born with female genitalia). There are people who identify as "gender-fluid;" they may identify as female on one day and as a male on another day. And, obviously, transgenderism isn't defined by one's sexuality either.

All well and good, but if transgender status isn't defined by the physical state of your genitalia, nor by the clothing you wear, nor by your sexuality, nor even by what you identified as the day before, but only by what your brain tells you you are on a particular day... then it's pretty hard to determine how "sincere" a person who claims to be transgender is. On the other side of the equation are women (and girls) who want to feel safe when they are changing, showering, etc.. I wish I could feel like that side of the equation was being given the same amount of consideration as the other side of it.

Reply to this post

Response to Nine (Reply #6)

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 03:34 PM

7. Headline merely gave timeline, not a cause.

"Headline is misleading..."

Headline merely gave timeline, not a cause. Inference rather than implication appears to be the major culprit in this instance...

Reply to this post

Response to LanternWaste (Reply #7)

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 03:45 PM

8. Weak defense for such a headline.

Any reasonable person would make the inference that the complaint was the cause of the membership being pulled. I stand by my opinion that the headline is misleading, if not technically untrue.

Reply to this post

Tue Apr 14, 2015, 04:06 PM

9. Link to last month's huge thread:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread