HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » RWer digs up dirt on Spoc...

Fri Mar 6, 2015, 10:31 AM

RWer digs up dirt on Spock

after Obama says he likes him.

http://freebeacon.com/columns/i-dont-love-spock/

“I loved Spock,” said President Obama, reacting to the death of actor Leonard Nimoy. Why? Because Spock reminds him of himself. The galaxy’s most famous Vulcan, the president wrote, was “Cool, logical, big-eared, and level headed, the center of Star Trek’s optimistic, inclusive vision of humanity’s future.” Just like you know whom.

The president is not the only writer who has drawn comparisons between himself and Spock. I am also a Star Trek fan, but I admit I was somewhat confused by my rather apathetic reaction to Nimoy’s death. And as I thought more about the president’s statement, I realized he identifies with the very aspects of the Spock character that most annoy me. I don’t love Spock at all.

Not only do Spock’s peacenik inclinations routinely land the Enterprise and the Federation into trouble, his “logic” and “level head” mask an arrogant emotional basket case. Unlike the superhuman android Data, a loyal officer whose deepest longing is to be human, Spock spends most of his life as a freelancing diplomat eager to negotiate with the worst enemies of Starfleet. He’s the opposite of a role model: a cautionary tale.

Spock cares only for himself. He returns to the Enterprise in Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) only because he believes the superior intelligence of V’ger might help him finally purge all human elements from his soul. True, he sacrifices himself for the good of the ship in Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982), but Spock’s renunciation of self is not as total as we are led to believe. He knows he has a fallback position. He knocks out McCoy and—without the doctor’s consent—transfers part of his consciousness to his old friend.

more...

5 replies, 935 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply RWer digs up dirt on Spock (Original post)
Enrique Mar 2015 OP
Thor_MN Mar 2015 #1
hfojvt Mar 2015 #4
2naSalit Mar 2015 #2
Adrahil Mar 2015 #3
Initech Mar 2015 #5

Response to Enrique (Original post)

Fri Mar 6, 2015, 10:53 AM

1. I'd bet this asshole feels "It's a Wonderful Life" is a cautionary tale

where downtrodden Mr. Potter is vilified by the evil townspeople of Bedford Falls.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Thor_MN (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 6, 2015, 12:56 PM

4. coming soon to Fox

"Mr. Potter and the commies of Bedford Falls"

http://www.discussionist.com/1015313720

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 6, 2015, 12:32 PM

2. Well, I say

F*ck'em. They wouldn't know human decency if it was the air they breathe.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 6, 2015, 12:49 PM

3. Fuck this dude. Spock rules. That is all. n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 6, 2015, 03:40 PM

5. I didn't know Spock was an Ayn Rand fan.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread