HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Angry, Armed and White: T...

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 05:43 AM

Angry, Armed and White: The Typical Profile Of America's Most Violent Extremists

http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/angry-armed-and-white-typical-profile-americas-most-violent-extremists

Police in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, say they’re investigating what role racial hatred played in the killing of three Muslim students by suspect Craig Stephen Hicks. They’re saying the 46-year-old, white man had a history of fights over a parking space with the victims—as if the killings could be reduced to road rage.

Meanwhile, Hicks’ social media posts show that he was an ardent athiest who equally mocked Muslims and Christians, an avid defender of the Constitution’s separation of church and state, and gun nut who posted pictures of his revolver. The Associated Press quoted neighbors who say “he always seemed angry and frequently confronted his neighbors” and “his ex-wife said he was obsessed with the shooting rampage movie Falling Down and showed “no compassion at all.”

The Wall Street Journal further reported the father of two victims, sisters, “said this man was hateful. He was picking fights, knocking on their door.” The Journal also said Hicks obsessively called tow truck companies to have his neighbors’ cars towed, and once even met tow truck drivers in the street waving a gun.

What we can safely say is that Hicks fits the profile of the most common type of domestic violent extremist—a white man with grievances and guns.

10 replies, 1556 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Angry, Armed and White: The Typical Profile Of America's Most Violent Extremists (Original post)
xchrom Feb 2015 OP
Enthusiast Feb 2015 #1
Javaman Feb 2015 #2
G_j Feb 2015 #3
Nuclear Unicorn Feb 2015 #5
madokie Feb 2015 #4
uponit7771 Feb 2015 #6
uponit7771 Feb 2015 #7
MisterP Feb 2015 #8
Bluenorthwest Feb 2015 #9
AgingAmerican Feb 2015 #10

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 07:55 AM

1. Kicked and recommended a whole bunch!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 10:14 AM

2. Oddly, I've mellowed as I've gotten older.

I used to be an angry punk back in the day.

Now, meh, I can't get worked up over much anymore.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 10:20 AM

3. so why is a man who met tow truck drivers in the street waving a gun

allowed to still own guns???

Reply to this post

Response to G_j (Reply #3)

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 11:03 AM

5. Because the police are useless at best.

Over 60-precent of gun homicides are committed by people with prior criminal records.

Criminals don't obey the law and the cops don't enforce the law.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 10:22 AM

4. I don't like guns

I won't condemn all gun owners because of the few but I will say that we need some control over what some people can have concerning guns.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 11:39 AM

6. Nah, it's that "thug" that's the problem ... can't be anyone else gottah shoot them thugs /sarcasm

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 11:41 AM

7. Also the "parking spot" that was in dispute was a visitor spot, the victims sister was on MSNBC

... this morning and let it all out...

The person who did the mass killing \execution of Muslims because they were Muslim.... didn't have any rights to the parking space... was reported multiple times to the building manager... was appeased and he STILL shot them point blank in the head execution style...

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 04:17 PM

8. they misfiled it under "Tea Party," tho

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 13, 2015, 04:49 PM

9. I see them as angry straight people with guns, cans of gasoline, baseball bats, tire irons....

There is more hate crime against LGBT people than against any specific religion, or than against all religions combined. All of it done by straight people of various sorts. DU really hates to talk about that. Ignores all the stories of hate crimes against LGBT people. If religion is the motive as it so often is, DU will not even talk about it.
But I'm sure all your straight folks here are really, really opposed to those crimes that you never confront, acknowledge, admit or discuss. It's a silent, elegant sort of opposition...

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 14, 2015, 02:48 AM

10. You left out right wing

nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread