HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » When Your Cable Company A...

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 06:53 AM

When Your Cable Company Attacks: Why Comcast Abuses Its Customers

http://www.alternet.org/corporate-accountability-and-workplace/when-your-cable-company-attacks-why-comcast-abuses-its

When it comes to popularity, cable companies rank down there with members of Congress, root canals and Nickelback. Current and former customers agree; they hate the high cost and poor service, and they especially hate the runaround they get from call centers.

Comcast and Time Warner Cable, the two largest cable television providers in the U.S., are consistently at the bottom of consumer satisfaction surveys and are among the least trusted corporations in the nation. Now these two monolithic companies are on the brink of a mega-merger.

The merged company which will be named Comcast would control more than two-thirds of all cable television subscriptions in the country, and some 40% of the home Internet market. The $45.2 billion merger, proposed a year ago, is awaiting approval from the feds, and there are unfortunate signs the merger will be approved.

Survey after survey shows that Americans wholeheartedly oppose the proposed merger. The latest survey, by Consumer Reports, finds nearly three-quarters of Americans believe it will result in higher cable and Internet rates, while two-thirds say it will likely have a negative impact on customer service and that Comcast would have no incentive to improve.

13 replies, 2031 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply When Your Cable Company Attacks: Why Comcast Abuses Its Customers (Original post)
xchrom Feb 2015 OP
Scuba Feb 2015 #1
DeSwiss Feb 2015 #2
marym625 Feb 2015 #10
cstanleytech Feb 2015 #3
dembotoz Feb 2015 #4
jimlup Feb 2015 #6
jimlup Feb 2015 #5
Enthusiast Feb 2015 #7
rurallib Feb 2015 #13
daleanime Feb 2015 #8
marym625 Feb 2015 #9
thesquanderer Feb 2015 #11
TBF Feb 2015 #12

Response to xchrom (Original post)

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:11 AM

1. Kickety kick kick.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:16 AM

2. Of course.....

...this plan of action is on page 1043 of the INGSOC Handbook, Chapter 13, entitled: ''Getting all the media ducks in a row.''

After the dirty deed has been done, INGSOC Ministry of Truth, (Propaganda Division) will soon begin removing any mention of the words ''Time Warner Cable'' from the lexicon. Soon, with more education and treatment, everyone will forget about them.

- After a while, it'll be like they never existed......

K&R

Reply to this post

Response to DeSwiss (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 09:18 AM

10. +1000

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:18 AM

3. This merger will be a nightmare if is allowed to happen imo. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:37 AM

4. moving from att to time warner soon

time warner looks like a cake walk compared to what i am going thru with the death star

Reply to this post

Response to dembotoz (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:42 AM

6. Strong 2nd to that! /nt

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:41 AM

5. I wish I could find a way to fight back...

but they have such a damn monopoly in my area that I am helpless. I have no other legitimate option.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 08:56 AM

7. K&R! You see, it no longer matters what Americans wholeheartedly oppose.

We also oppose the TTP and TTIP. And we would oppose it even more if we knew the details.

Americans also oppose cuts to the social safety net. But that isn't stopping the GOP from proposing these cuts.

Reply to this post

Response to Enthusiast (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 09:48 AM

13. Study recently noted that the only ones that matter are the ones with money

so your statement should come as no surprise.

one dollar one vote.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 09:10 AM

8. K&R....

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 09:17 AM

9. K&R +1000

I really, really, really, really hate comcast. And nickelback is a great comparison.

I saw them at a concert with 5 other bands a few years back. They absolutely sucked and then threw beer on the audience. Just what you want on a sticky, summer evening, to be covered in sticky, smelly beer.

What the hell happened to monopoly laws?

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 09:18 AM

11. The best parts of the article...

...are the parts further down, not quoted in the OP, explaining just what makes Comcast one of the worst companies on Earth.

As for the merger itself, it hardly matters. It's not like there's any competition between these two companies anyway, each has a monopoly in its region. It's not like the merger will reduce consumer choice.

The problem isn't the merger, it's Comcast's very existence.

Maybe there should be a law that the process to cancel a service cannot take more time or be more complicated than the process to sign up for it.

Reply to this post

Response to thesquanderer (Reply #11)

Sat Feb 7, 2015, 09:23 AM

12. Insightful comment -

and one that I agree with on this topic but also many others.

I look at many of the things going on in this country (and this world) and realize we could get bogged down in the details but that the major issue is the capitalism (and any other system that allows just a few to hoard resources at the expense of all the others). That is what we're looking at in the big picture. We've got a world in which there is a global oligarchy and then everyone else scraping to get by. We have very little choice when it comes to cable/internet, but that also is true in many areas of our life now. When they start talking about "freedom" I think "well, yes, but for whom?".

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread