HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Oxfam: 85 richest people ...

Wed Jan 21, 2015, 11:02 PM

Oxfam: 85 richest people as wealthy as poorest half of the world

The world's wealthiest people aren't known for travelling by bus, but if they fancied a change of scene then the richest 85 people on the globe who between them control as much wealth as the poorest half of the global population put together could squeeze onto a single double-decker.

The extent to which so much global wealth has become corralled by a virtual handful of the so-called 'global elite' is exposed in a new report from Oxfam on Monday. It warned that those richest 85 people across the globe share a combined wealth of 1tn, as much as the poorest 3.5 billion of the world's population.

Oxfam also argues that this is no accident either, saying growing inequality has been driven by a "power grab" by wealthy elites, who have co-opted the political process to rig the rules of the economic system in their favour.

Polling for Oxfam's report found people in countries around the world - including two-thirds of those questioned in Britain - believe that the rich have too much influence over the direction their country is heading.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jan/20/oxfam-85-richest-people-half-of-the-world

3 replies, 1090 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oxfam: 85 richest people as wealthy as poorest half of the world (Original post)
ND-Dem Jan 2015 OP
Trillo Jan 2015 #1
woo me with science Jan 2015 #2
woo me with science Jan 2015 #3

Response to ND-Dem (Original post)

Thu Jan 22, 2015, 12:00 AM

1. U.S. Number 1

Rah rah.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Jan 22, 2015, 09:00 AM

2. CORRUPTION. We are ruled by thieves and liars in both parties.

This is oligarchy.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 24, 2015, 06:38 AM

3. kick

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread