HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why we CANNOT let up on s...

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 12:51 PM

Why we CANNOT let up on seeking accountability on the heels of this torture report:

The bad guys coveted deniability and worked SO hard to build it in - to cover their asses - so they could deny everything and weasel out of any accountability.

Well, irony-lovers, now it's out, on paper, on the record, in public, in this report (such as it extends) and there's NO hiding from it anymore. WE THE PEOPLE cannot hide from this anymore OR deny it OR pretend it didn't happen OR assume it wasn't all that bad OR that the enemy (the other enemy - the al Qaeda contingent, not the GOP) just overstated it or is lying or something.

It's IN OUR FACES NOW. We are tracking this shit all over the national/world carpet on our OWN shoes now. And if WE THE PEOPLE don't take action and INSIST this stop and that serious legitimate penalties are paid by those accountable, then this nightmare WILL happen again, with impunity. There HAS TO BE accountability. Otherwise it sends a clear signal that you can get away with it, you can go ahead with whatever-the-hell you feel like doing and it'll be okay. And I DON'T mean just one or two underlings prosecuted as war criminals - I mean their bosses. The human vermin who gave the orders, designed the strategies and procedures, and green-lighted it.

It has to go up the food chain as far as we can push it, in order for there to be ANY deterrence factor in operation. If there are no consequences, then there are no very-valuable-even-though-painful-and-costly lessons learned.

I called Feinstein's local office yesterday. Capitol Hill was after business hours. She's gonna lose her chairmanship, but she's still in the Senate. I told her staffer, as a constituent, to thank her for having the guts to release this report, and that now we need prosecutions. We need to spread that all over everywhere. EVEN to the deaf-ear crowd. THEY need to hear this, too. THEY SERIOUSLY need to hear this! Even if they disagree, DOESN'T MATTER!!!! They need to hear this ANYWAY. And they need to keep hearing this.

Guys, this is something that can't be allowed to die down and fade away. Our side, shamefully, seems to specialize in losing momentum, or squandering momentum. THAT has to be stopped, cold. We lost the momentum on the Equal Rights Amendment, we dozed off while the opposition to Roe v Wade blossomed and gained ground (to this very day), we lost the momentum after Sandy Hook, the list goes ON AND ON AND ON. If we blow it on this one, then it becomes OUR fault, and OUR sin, and OUR shame.

In case anybody wants it, HERE (besides the TOLL FREE Capitol Hill switchboard office numbers in my sig line below):

DIANNE FEINSTEIN CONTACT INFO: She may no longer chair that committee, but she's STILL there, even after the Senate goes to Hell in January. She's still prominent, still has some weight to throw around, still has media-recognition and credibility, and she still has some clout.

Washington, DC Office:
331 Hart Senate Office Bldg.
Washington, D.C. 20510
Phone: (202) 224-3841
Fax: (202) 228-3954
TTY/TDD: (202) 224-2501

San Francisco Office:
One Post Street
Suite 2450
San Francisco, CA 94104
Phone: (415) 393-0707
Fax: (415) 393-0710

Los Angeles Office:
11111 Santa Monica Blvd.
Suite 915
Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: (310) 914-7300
Fax: (310) 914-7318

San Diego Office:
880 Front Street
Suite 3296
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: (619) 231-9712
Fax: (619) 231-1108

Fresno Office:
2500 Tulare Street
Suite 4290
Fresno, CA 93721
Main: (559) 485-7430
Fax: (559) 485-9689

(reposted in Politics 2014: http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251390078)

24 replies, 1342 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why we CANNOT let up on seeking accountability on the heels of this torture report: (Original post)
calimary Dec 2014 OP
Fred Sanders Dec 2014 #1
calimary Dec 2014 #2
calimary Dec 2014 #3
Scuba Dec 2014 #4
ReRe Dec 2014 #5
calimary Dec 2014 #6
KingCharlemagne Dec 2014 #7
calimary Dec 2014 #9
kentuck Dec 2014 #8
calimary Dec 2014 #18
Oilwellian Dec 2014 #10
calimary Dec 2014 #11
H2O Man Dec 2014 #12
calimary Dec 2014 #13
calimary Dec 2014 #14
Solly Mack Dec 2014 #15
malaise Dec 2014 #16
calimary Dec 2014 #17
LineNew Reply .
Hissyspit Dec 2014 #19
JEB Dec 2014 #20
countryjake Dec 2014 #21
Jefferson23 Dec 2014 #22
calimary Dec 2014 #23
hifiguy Dec 2014 #24

Response to calimary (Original post)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 12:53 PM

1. The GOP Congress and the GOP mass media are on a mission to bury this report six feet deep.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Fred Sanders (Reply #1)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 12:59 PM

2. Of course they are! That's why we can't let them avoid this.

We have to nag, coax, remind, and bother. We have to be EVER-PRESENT. We have to be the gum on their shoes that they can't scrape off or ignore. It has to follow them like the toilet paper they didn't realize is trailing from their trousers after they finished in the bathroom. It has to be there everywhere they turn. It has to be inescapable. If they try to avoid acknowledging it (as they WILL), it has to stay in their faces until at least some of them DO.

If we give up on this, or shrug it off and assume it's no use - then that mortal sin is on OUR souls because we didn't do everything we could to stop it and bring these beasts to justice. It'll be OUR sin to answer for, and pay for, then. Seriously. I sure don't want to find myself standing at the Pearly Gates and having to face St. Peter and having to admit that I did nothing about it.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 01:08 PM

3. I'm keeping this kicked - even if I'm the only one.

Reply to this post

Response to Scuba (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 02:36 PM

5. K&R

Reply to this post

Response to Scuba (Reply #4)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:42 PM

6. Done! Thanks for this, Scuba!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:48 PM

7. Just got a busy signal at the D.C. office, so I called the Santa Monica office and

got through to someone named 'Amanda' where I expressed my 100% unequivocal support for her actions to release the report.

Thanks for posting all the contact info so concisely. Saved me the time and trouble of looking it up myself!

Reply to this post

Response to KingCharlemagne (Reply #7)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:07 PM

9. My pleasure. I called the L.A. office, too.

Very handy to have that local/regional info especially when we're working from a Pacific Time position, and the East Coast timezone closes three hours before we do. Also - it helps when you can't get through. I used to have a longer list of TOLL FREE Capitol Hill switchboard numbers but some of 'em age out. These that are in my sig line are the ones that are still good. Every now and then I try to remember to re-check them.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:51 PM

8. kick because

/

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #8)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 08:04 PM

18. Thanks, kentuck!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:19 PM

10. Kick n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:19 PM

11. Kicking again.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:22 PM

12. Recommended.

Definitely.

Thank you.

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:34 PM

13. Kicking, just because I can!

Reply to this post

Response to calimary (Reply #13)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:44 PM

14. And again!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:45 PM

15. ...

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:51 PM

16. K & R

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #16)

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 07:58 PM

17. Back atcha, malaise!

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 10:16 PM

19. .

Reply to this post

Wed Dec 10, 2014, 10:27 PM

20. K&R

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 11, 2014, 06:01 AM

21. kickety

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 11, 2014, 11:09 AM

22. Highly recommend. n/t

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 11, 2014, 04:42 PM

23. Kicking!

Reply to this post

Thu Dec 11, 2014, 04:54 PM

24. Unfortunately it is not up to us.

This will all disappear down the memory hole within a day or two when the M$M stops talking about it. Which means that most of the sheeple, for whom the M$M is their only news source and who have the attention spans of canaries and the memory length of goldfish, won't even remember it in two weeks, save for when Repukes are given all the air time they want to justify torture with No Dissenting Opinions Allowed.

Protests will never make the major, or even local media. Hell's bells, millions of people marching all over the world to protest His Chimperial Majesty's war NEVER HAPPENED if all you saw was the American media reaction.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread