HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I'm not saying this is th...

Thu Dec 4, 2014, 08:49 PM

I'm not saying this is the answer to cops who get passes for murder, and are not sociopaths;

French police in crisis as suicide rate spirals

"On Friday a tweet from a police union announced that a policeman in the north of France had shot himself at home to become the 50th officer to take his own life since the start of the year. That compares to 40 last year and 43 in 2011 and 2012, with another month still to come."

"France as a country suffers from one of the highest suicide rates in Europe but a recent study concluded that police officers in the country had a 36 percent higher chance of taking of their own life than the ordinary population."

But here it veers from US cops because French cops, according to the article actually care about people and it seems the reason for the suicides is 'malaise' and "any sign of depression is considered to be a weakness".

It is also difficult to see, coming just after all the crap from scared shitless US grand juries and their failure to do the correct thing, that French cops seem "stigmatized by elements of the general public (for) the death of one person who was killed by a police stun grenade and the rape of a tourist while at the Paris police HQ" and “Being a police officer is often too heavy burden in a society where it is often difficult to be a police officer,” (vs. it's difficult believing what any cop in the US says anymore; just sayin').

http://www.thelocal.fr/20141128/french-police-in-crisis-as-suicide-rate

Amazing what we as a country are missing out as we are feeding upon each other, possibly to the whims of the 0.0001%'ers.

2 replies, 856 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm not saying this is the answer to cops who get passes for murder, and are not sociopaths; (Original post)
greiner3 Dec 2014 OP
Xipe Totec Dec 2014 #1
TexasProgresive Dec 2014 #2

Response to greiner3 (Original post)

Thu Dec 4, 2014, 08:58 PM

1. I think, independent of any criminal charges, any officer who shoots an unarmed suspect

should turn in his service revolver and his badge. It should be departmental policy.

You thought that ham sandwich was a gun so you shot him? Fine. If you can't tell the difference between a ham sandwich and a gun, or a bag of skittles and a gun, or a wallet and a gun, you don't work here anymore.

We do not need trigger happy paranoid thugs 'protecting' the public.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Xipe Totec (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 5, 2014, 07:55 AM

2. I think that any police officer who discharges his weapon

should turn it in and be suspended with pay pending investigation. i.e. desk duty.

That's the start. The inquiry to be carried out by an independent unit at the state level. This group would be investigators and prosecutors. The scene where the shooting occurred must be secured. The local police have lost any claim to jurisdiction.

This may not assure justice but it would at least be going in the right direction.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread