HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why Ed Scamster$ and Thie...

Sun Jul 20, 2014, 09:02 PM

Why Ed Scamster$ and Thieve$ *Really* Hate Teacher Tenure.

Edit: Cross-posted to ed forum: http://www.democraticunderground.com/11248930

And no, folks, it really isn't that complicated. From Arthur Goldstein, active NYC Teacher and inveterate blogger. Via NY Daily News:

>>>>Every day, it seems, I read about a new lawsuit to do away with teacher tenure. The crusade reminds me of my friend Harris Lirtzman. It’s because of tenure that I teach and he doesn’t.

Harry used to be a deputy New York State controller until, in 2009, he decided to become a math teacher of special-education students in the Bronx. He offered experience and a depth of understanding few could match — but his discerning eye proved to be his downfall.

He studied the kids’ Individualized Education Programs, the documents that state what services special-education students require, and discovered that many were being underserved, possibly to save on school expenses.

Harry began asking questions — and learned exactly how unwelcome they were when, in December 2011, he was denied tenure.

Harry now tutors at-risk students in Yonkers. If he’d had tenure, he’d still be helping city public school kids.
(link to Lirtzman story in NY Times:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/nyregion/punished-for-helping-special-education-students.html?_r=0)

Without tenure, I’d probably be in Harry’s place. I teach English as a second language, usually to beginners, at Francis Lewis High School in Fresh Meadows, Queens.

One year, I had two students who spoke English but couldn’t read or write. One had been kicking around city schools for years.

He had a strategy for pushy teachers like me. He listened intently and participated orally as much as possible>>>>>
the rest at: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/teacher-tenure-good-apples-article-1.1868064

10 replies, 859 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why Ed Scamster$ and Thieve$ *Really* Hate Teacher Tenure. (Original post)
Smarmie Doofus Jul 2014 OP
Smarmie Doofus Jul 2014 #1
madfloridian Jul 2014 #2
Smarmie Doofus Jul 2014 #3
madfloridian Jul 2014 #4
LisaLynne Jul 2014 #5
Orsino Jul 2014 #6
Smarmie Doofus Jul 2014 #8
LWolf Jul 2014 #7
Smarmie Doofus Jul 2014 #9
LWolf Jul 2014 #10

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Original post)

Sun Jul 20, 2014, 11:35 PM

1. Kick for self-exposure.

Can I get in trouble for that?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 03:11 AM

2. Glad you referred to this in Ed forum.

Should put the link. I had to search for it. This guy has a great blog http://nyceducator.com/

He tweets a lot also.

https://twitter.com/TeacherArthurG

Even teachers with tenure, which I now call due process for clarity....have a rough time when they get too uppity with administrators.

Reply to this post

Response to madfloridian (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 06:55 AM

3. Good thinking, madflo. I'm fixing it now.

I'm inclined also toward "due process". People should know exactly what we're talking about.

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #3)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:25 AM

4. Education posts drop so quickly now...

I have started posting or linking in Ed forum as well. Otherwise it just disappears.

Yep, we need to stop letting the reformers control the language. It really is simply due process.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:31 AM

5. Thanks for cross-posting

I don't get over to the Education forum much, but I am interested in the topic. Education is so important to our democracy so of course there are those who are determined to end public education. I fully believe that is their goal. They just find different ways of chipping away at it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:03 AM

6. It's just cheap-labor conservatism...

...intended to concentrate wealth in the hands of the few. Not complicated at all, and of a piece with Big Money's agenda.

Reply to this post

Response to Orsino (Reply #6)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 01:56 PM

8. That's the big picture. It's that .... but it's MORE than that.

It's the authoritarian impulse brought to bear in the classroom.

We're supposed to be educating kids to be citizens of a democratic republic.

The war against "tenure" is teaching them an another lesson entirely: keep your mouth shut or you are going to get fucked-up.

Reply to this post

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 11:04 AM

7. Many of us have experienced the consequences

of speaking up against the flow of current reform policies. There are plenty of consequences for that, and, without tenure, we'd simply be gone.

Tenure doesn't block due process from removing a teacher for just cause. It protects the jobs of those teachers willing to fight bad policy for the sake of students.

The public needs to understand this. Many more of these stories need to be told.

Reply to this post

Response to LWolf (Reply #7)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 02:02 PM

9. We need a movie script. And a top-billed actor.

And a few million dollars .

I don't think they get it otherwise.

Maybe Matt Damon?

( I'm not kidding.)

Reply to this post

Response to Smarmie Doofus (Reply #9)

Tue Jul 22, 2014, 04:33 PM

10. Matt Damon is the

obvious first choice.

But maybe, with the script, a top-billed asshole actor whose loyal following pay attention because of him. Or her.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread