HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Too Big to Jail: DOJ Char...

Sat May 3, 2014, 10:43 PM

Too Big to Jail: DOJ Charge Two Banks with Criminal Acts, But Not Hold Them Criminally Accountable

In a recent breathlessly written "we have the inside scoop" article, The New York Times would have you believe that the Department of Justice (DOJ) is finally getting serious about filing criminal charges against a couple of banks.

Technically, the Times may prove to be right, but on a practical level, the actions it is predicting would be more of the same kid-glove treatment of too-big-to-fail banks we’ve seen in the past. As BuzzFlash at Truthout noted in commentaries last year, Attorney General Holder has officially stated his concern that prosecuting the largest banks would have adverse affects on our economy. As The New York Times reports about the possibility of looming criminal charges against two foreign banks (emphasis on foreign - Credit Suisse and BNP Paribas, not US):

Federal prosecutors are nearing criminal charges against some of the world’s biggest banks, according to lawyers briefed on the matter, a development that could produce the first guilty plea from a major bank in more than two decades.

In doing so, prosecutors are confronting the popular belief that Wall Street institutions have grown so important to the economy that they cannot be charged. A lack of criminal prosecutions of banks and their leaders fueled a public outcry over the perception that Wall Street giants are “too big to jail.”

http://www.truth-out.org/buzzflash/commentary/too-big-to-jail-continues-doj-may-charge-two-banks-with-criminal-acts-but-not-hold-them-criminally-accountable

9 replies, 1299 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Too Big to Jail: DOJ Charge Two Banks with Criminal Acts, But Not Hold Them Criminally Accountable (Original post)
MindMover May 2014 OP
blkmusclmachine May 2014 #1
woo me with science May 2014 #2
Enthusiast May 2014 #3
sabrina 1 May 2014 #7
woo me with science May 2014 #4
okaawhatever May 2014 #5
MindMover May 2014 #6
sabrina 1 May 2014 #8
woo me with science May 2014 #9

Response to MindMover (Original post)

Sat May 3, 2014, 11:24 PM

1. It pays to be a part of "THE FAMILY."

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun May 4, 2014, 12:28 AM

2. Criminals go free. But those who expose crimes go to prison.

We are ruled by criminals.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #2)

Sun May 4, 2014, 04:07 PM

3. Sure looks that way.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #2)

Mon May 5, 2014, 12:18 AM

7. Same as the old Royal system. The King and his loyal coharts were too powerful to

prosecute. We now have our own Royalty and their loyal cohorts in strategic places to protect them from the rabble.

We ARE ruled by criminals who retroactively change the laws to cover their crimes. The Old British Empire used to do that. For some reason they wanted the stamp of legality on their crimes. So they passed laws to criminalize actions that threatened them, and laws to make legal their own crimes. Not sure why they wanted that legal 'approval' but we appear to have learned a lot from them.

See the FISA Bill Amendment, which is actually quoted here in defense of the Constitutional Violations that have been exposed as if it had any legitimacy other than POWER over Justice.

Reply to this post

Sun May 4, 2014, 10:17 PM

4. kick

Reply to this post

Mon May 5, 2014, 12:11 AM

5. Bullshit article. There is absolutely nothing to back up what they say. I can't believe you posted

this drivel on DU. Well, when I see the folks who seem to have enjoyed it I guess I can.

Reply to this post

Response to okaawhatever (Reply #5)

Mon May 5, 2014, 12:16 AM

6. so you know that some banker is going to jail ...

Yeah right, I call BS ...

Reply to this post

Mon May 5, 2014, 12:21 AM

8. So you think that some Bankers are finally going to be held accountable for their massive

crimes against the people? I hope so.

Reply to this post

Mon May 5, 2014, 08:25 AM

9. Oh my.

Sounds like someone had a very vivid dream about bankers going to prison.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread