HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Life Before Text app (gre...

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 06:25 AM

Life Before Text app (great idea for one time fee of $3.98)

Link to video/article

LITTLETON - A father of 8-year-old triplets is so worried about what it will be like for his kids to drive in eight years, he's taking matters into his own hands. He's created an app for cell phones that has the potential to save the lives of drivers today and future drivers. "I don't want them on the road doing this," Troy Orner, the creator of the Life Before Text app, said. Troy says his triplets have grown-up so fast, before he knows it, all three will be asking for the car keys.

"The thought of them driving in today's world, there's so many distractions and meaningless deaths on the road caused by people texting," Troy said. That's why two years ago, Troy began working on a cell phone app to block calls, emails, and texts while driving. He hired a California company to help develop his app. The Life Before Text app has just hit the market. "It was kind of a shock that it finally came together," Troy said. As distracted driving claims more lives and makes more headlines, more and more safe driving apps are becoming available to drivers.

"If I'm driving down the road and want to text somebody, this is what comes up," Troy said while demonstrating the app for 9NEWS. We took Troy's app for a test drive. Parents have a few options on the speed limit.

When we took Troy's app for a test drive, we set the speed limit to 10 miles per hour. At that speed the app is supposed to block calls, texts and emails. "There it is right there it says 'missed call' and it didn't ring, it didn't bother you?" 9NEWS Anchor/Reporter Eric Kahnert asked Troy. "No. I've got my eyes on the road, making sure I don't get into a wreck," Troy said. Emergency calls can be made. If a teenage driver disables the app, the parents will get an email.

If the app is deleted, an email can also be sent to an insurance agent who may be giving the teen driver a discount for having the app installed. Troy spent $20,000 creating the app. Consumers can buy it for a one-time fee of $3.98.

You can find more information here: http://lifebeforetext.com/

11 replies, 4750 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Life Before Text app (great idea for one time fee of $3.98) (Original post)
SoCalDem Mar 2012 OP
onlyadream Mar 2012 #1
Sienna86 Mar 2012 #2
Broderick Mar 2012 #5
BadgerKid Mar 2012 #7
saras Mar 2012 #3
SoCalDem Mar 2012 #11
obxhead Mar 2012 #4
RB TexLa Mar 2012 #6
venkat.santhanam Mar 2012 #8
venkat.santhanam Mar 2012 #9
SoCalDem Mar 2012 #10

Response to SoCalDem (Original post)

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 08:19 AM

1. Looks like its just for android

But I'm sure theyll cross it over to windows and iPhone eventually.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 08:29 AM

2. What if they are passenger in a car?

That's my only question. Read the website and will have to ask the company. Like it and may get it. Thanks for sharing.

Reply to this post

Response to Sienna86 (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:30 AM

5. Many, I venture want this required on all phones

A police state, nanny state is all well and good to them. Heck, even the intrusive tsa is great to them. Nevertheless, I can assume those same folks hating freedom would not care a whit whether you are a driver or passenger since a passenger can distract a driver doing these things.

Reply to this post

Response to Sienna86 (Reply #2)

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:41 AM

7. Last fall I was hit (low speed) by a teen driver

being distracted by front seat passenger and passenger's cell phone. No one hurt, and $2,000 damage that her guardian's insurance paid for.

The cell phone may be contributed to the incident, but I see it as a symptom of the bigger problem of lack of attention driving.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:14 AM

3. This is TOO HARD without an app forcing you, and you complain about a POLICE STATE?

Reply to this post

Response to saras (Reply #3)

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 03:33 PM

11. I don't recall anything I have ever said regarding a police state

Don't like it? don't download it

but I bet if you ever get in an accident caused by a cell phone yakker, you'll reconsider

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:18 AM

4. This shouldn't be an app.

It should be required by law for all cellphones to have it installed.

I'm tired of drivers not paying attention to the road because their phone is more important than the lives of those around them.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 09:34 AM

6. Depending on the discount I buy a cheap phone install it and get my discount

cool

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 03:00 PM

8. by law enforcement

I believe it should be enforced by law. Any mobile sold should have a built in app and non deletable. Old phones have to activate thru their service provider if not deactivate the connection. Life is more precious than texting rights.

Reply to this post

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 03:04 PM

9. lol

As i was downloafing i saw therehas been just one download.

Reply to this post

Response to venkat.santhanam (Reply #9)

Sun Mar 18, 2012, 03:31 PM

10. I think it's fairly recent.. This will build

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread