Welcome to DU! The truly grassroots left-of-center political community where regular people, not algorithms, drive the discussions and set the standards. Join the community: Create a free account Support DU (and get rid of ads!): Become a Star Member Latest Breaking News Editorials & Other Articles General Discussion The DU Lounge All Forums Issue Forums Culture Forums Alliance Forums Region Forums Support Forums Help & Search


(62,584 posts)
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 08:00 PM Dec 2013

Man huffing propane ignites self, house

A man burned himself and his home Sunday night after he passed out from allegedly huffing propane.

The fire occurred about 9:30 p.m. on Cassville Road, with Bartow County Fire Department stations 1, 2 and 12 responding.

According to the Bartow County Sheriff’s Office incident report, Battalion Chief Sandy Turner said the fire was suspicious based on a witness’ statement. The witness said the victim, known only as James, was huffing propane and passed out, leaving the valve on the propane bottle open.

When the victim woke up, he reportedly wanted a cigarette. Lighting the cigarette caused the fire.

The victim was transported to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital for treatment.


18 replies = new reply since forum marked as read
Highlight: NoneDon't highlight anything 5 newestHighlight 5 most recent replies
Man huffing propane ignites self, house (Original Post) RandySF Dec 2013 OP
People huff PROPANE??? The Velveteen Ocelot Dec 2013 #1
My thoughts exactly.. giftedgirl77 Dec 2013 #3
People huff anything to escape reality, if they're miserable enough. nt redqueen Dec 2013 #8
This is going to affect his homeowner's insurance premium. Loudly Dec 2013 #2
Message auto-removed Name removed Dec 2013 #4
Shit. Now I know what happened to this guy... madinmaryland Dec 2013 #5
Huffing propane??????????? Spirochete Dec 2013 #6
He huffed, then he puffed, and he burned his house down pinboy3niner Dec 2013 #7
It's alright, it's alright, it's alright... Propane! Blue Owl Dec 2013 #9
If you wanna get down, down on the ground...propane! pinboy3niner Dec 2013 #10
Could be worse, he could have been Huffing Post The Straight Story Dec 2013 #11
Hey... NaturalHigh Dec 2013 #12
When I was stationed in Korea... NaturalHigh Dec 2013 #13
I'll huff and I'll puff and malaise Dec 2013 #14
Feels like Walking on Sunshine RandiFan1290 Dec 2013 #15
I nominate him for a Darwin award meow2u3 Dec 2013 #16
Are those awarded posthumously? (nt) The Straight Story Dec 2013 #17
They can always go to his estate meow2u3 Dec 2013 #18

Response to RandySF (Original post)


(5,264 posts)
6. Huffing propane???????????
Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:25 PM
Dec 2013

I once hit my thumb with a blast of propane from a fork lift. It became very painful and some of the skin died. How could anyone possibly inhale that into their lungs?


(12,778 posts)
13. When I was stationed in Korea...
Sun Dec 29, 2013, 09:26 AM
Dec 2013

a lot of people used those litte cans of cooking gas for their stoves. I knew a lot of people who huffed that shit. One jumped off a building and killed herself while thinking she could fly.

Latest Discussions»General Discussion»Man huffing propane ignit...