HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obama admits government, ...

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 12:55 PM

Obama admits government, compared to the private sector, is far less capable

At least that's the headline a some RW sites this AM.

Mr. President, could you please avoid throwing the RWNJ's anymore red meat about government incompetence and being too big and inefficient?

Obama: You know, one of the lessons -- learned from this whole process on the website -- is that probably the biggest gap between the private sector and the federal government is when it comes to I.T. How we precure -- procure it, how we purchase it. This has been true on a whole range of projects.

Todd: You know what your supporters say --
How did you -- how did you not be able to do this?

Obama:Right. Well, the reason is is that when it comes to my campaign, I'm not constrained by a bunch of federal procurement rules, right? And how we write -- specifications and -- and how the -- the whole things gets built out. So part of what I'm gonna be looking at is how do we across the board, across the federal government , leap into the 21st century. Because when it comes to medical records for veterans, it's still done in paper.

Medicaid is still largely done on paper. When we buy I.T. services generally, it is so bureaucratic and so cumbersome that a whole bunch of it doesn't work or it ends up being way over cost. And yeah, in some ways, I should have anticipated that just because this was important and I was saying this was my top priority. And I was meeting with folks once a month telling 'em, "Make sure this works."

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbc-news/53492840/#53492840

6 replies, 2053 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama admits government, compared to the private sector, is far less capable (Original post)
legcramp Nov 2013 OP
TwilightGardener Nov 2013 #1
DavidDvorkin Nov 2013 #5
Mass Nov 2013 #2
ksoze Nov 2013 #3
BumRushDaShow Nov 2013 #4
demosincebirth Nov 2013 #6

Response to legcramp (Original post)

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 01:00 PM

1. Government is less nimble, clunkier, more bureacratic. That's not new.

That doesn't mean we privatize everything.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #1)

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 02:06 PM

5. Not compared to huge, old corporations

I've worked for both. In my experience, it's not a matter of government vs. private sector. It's age and size that lead to lots of internal regulations and procedures and bottlenecks.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 01:03 PM

2. Not what he said, but I was happy he addressed the issues of procurement.

If the GOP had been smart, they would have addressed that and try to fix the system (which needs to be fixed) rather than simply go after the White House. But of course, they are not smart.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 01:09 PM

3. Nothing wrong with him admitting the truth

The last place to have a large IT project done is one whose decision is based on rigged RFP's and a records of poor performance. Government is great for many things, but procuring though lowest bidder and a systematic history of low bar performance of the contracts result in what we saw.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 01:27 PM

4. "it is so bureaucratic and so cumbersome"

Because Congress, purportedly on behalf of the taxpayers, want to know where the money is going and for what, and this must happen within the constraints of Congressionally-mandated requirements for "accessibility" (which does not apply to private industry) per the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (and subsequent amendments to each). E.g., the private sector is free to tell visually impaired folks to fuck off.

The standards apply to Federal web sites but not to private sector web sites (unless a site is provided under contract to a Federal agency, in which case only that web site or portion covered by the contract would have to comply).

:http://www.section508.gov/summary-section508-standards|

This isn't an Executive Branch problem nor is it that much of a legislative problem either. In fact, it really wasn't supposed to be a problem at all. It is generally meant to HELP ensure that government information provided via technology is available to everyone - including those who have some sort of impairment. And those impaired individuals are the very folks who private industry disdains, ignores, and discriminates against, and they have consistently refused to hire them (where the government brings them in). With the conclusion of 2 Wars, there are going to be a whole lot of folks trying to reintegrate back into society and who are utilizing modern technology to do so (and far too many need accommodations to gain access). So the "us versus them" thing needs to be elucidated beyond RW talking points.

Reply to this post

Sat Nov 9, 2013, 02:34 PM

6. The pivate sector is "for profit."

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread