HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Morons fear Obama re-elec...

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 09:52 AM

Morons fear Obama re-election, gun sales boom....

Idiot Texas Teabaggers....

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Gun-sales-boom-in-fear-of-Obama-re-election/-4X2MTqP0UGnom1tkkjBdQ.cspx

24 replies, 3827 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 24 replies Author Time Post
Reply Morons fear Obama re-election, gun sales boom.... (Original post)
absyntheminded Mar 2012 OP
spanone Mar 2012 #1
pinboy3niner Mar 2012 #6
spanone Mar 2012 #14
NightWatcher Mar 2012 #2
COLGATE4 Mar 2012 #3
marmar Mar 2012 #4
absyntheminded Mar 2012 #7
enough Mar 2012 #5
CanonRay Mar 2012 #8
iverglas Mar 2012 #16
Jester Messiah Mar 2012 #9
NNN0LHI Mar 2012 #10
lpbk2713 Mar 2012 #11
Javaman Mar 2012 #15
iverglas Mar 2012 #17
onethatcares Mar 2012 #12
Javaman Mar 2012 #13
slackmaster Mar 2012 #18
bullwinkle428 Mar 2012 #19
Upton Mar 2012 #20
iverglas Mar 2012 #22
Johnny Rico Mar 2012 #24
iverglas Mar 2012 #23
Proud Liberal Dem Mar 2012 #21

Response to absyntheminded (Original post)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 09:55 AM

1. they're pissed cause after the first election he personally took their guns away...door to door

fucking morans

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to spanone (Reply #1)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:01 AM

6. That was only in D.C.

In the rest of the country he sent the U.N. black helicopters to do the gun confiscations. How soon you forget.

Reply to this post

Response to pinboy3niner (Reply #6)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:44 AM

14. damn my memory

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 09:57 AM

2. I keep seeing emails from gun stores about Obama's (and Pelosi) Gun Grab

They really hate Pelosi....

I want to reply to them, "congrats on the fear mongering. I hope your clientele isn't too dumb to realize that no one has made a gun grab in nearly 20 years. Maybe too, they won't realize how you've jacked prices through the roof"
Signed, Armed Hippie.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 09:58 AM

3. The NRA knows

there's a sucker born every minute. NRA VP Wayne LaPierre has been cranking them up for some time now, alluding to the 16-dimensional chess Obama plays in that he's waiting for his SECOND term to launch the onslaught against private gun ownership. Playing them like a violin...

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 09:59 AM

4. Frightened, insecure people and a bunch of guns. What could possibly go wrong?

nt

Reply to this post

Response to marmar (Reply #4)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:02 AM

7. Exactly...

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:01 AM

5. That's some effective marketing. Works every four years. And in between. (nt)

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:09 AM

8. How many f'ing times are they going to fall for this same bullshit

Well, at least they can pawn them when they're broke. Man, are these people gullable.

Reply to this post

Response to CanonRay (Reply #8)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:50 AM

16. at least they can pawn them ...

... or, equally likely, sell them on the private market (to acquaintances, through ads in the pennysaver ...).

Since there are virtually no controls in the US on private sales (it may vary by state and type of handgun) -- and in fact private sellers have no way of finding out whether the person making the purchase is legally eligible to possess firearms, unless they pay a licensed dealer to conduct the transaction -- this means there are that many more firearms that could easily be transferred to people not legally eligible to possess them, e.g. criminals.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:14 AM

9. Hey, not only morons are buying guns!

I bought my gun BECAUSE of the morons. Who knows what these desperate idiots will do when Obama wins a second term? Hell, if we see a lot of people on the other side arming up, what should that tell us about their intentions?

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 AM

10. I know a guy who ran his credit card up to the max buying guns and ammo after Obama won the election

Now this same good ole boy says it is all Obama's fault he is broke and filing for bankruptcy.

True story.

Don

Reply to this post

Response to NNN0LHI (Reply #10)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:20 AM

11. Thanks for the laugh ... and I don't doubt it a bit.

I don't feel one bit sorry for ignoramuses like this.
Stupidity is its own reward.

Reply to this post

Response to lpbk2713 (Reply #11)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:46 AM

15. A guy in my neighborhood did the same thing.

aside from his insane politics, he's not a bad guy, but I told him, "you can't eat bullets". Last year, I gave him some of my beets. He was thankful.

Reply to this post

Response to NNN0LHI (Reply #10)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:59 AM

17. unfortunately, bankruptcy (and debt generally)

are not uncommonly factors in suicides.

http://www.bankruptcylawnetwork.com/bankruptcy-foreclosure-and-suicide/

Last week, a young father of two and a political candidate for office in Bristol, Connecticut committed suicide. He left behind a note which showed that he was concerned about his finances and wanted to avoid bankruptcy. The 38 year old had just started a new business and was facing difficulties in the current economy. In Berkeley, California, a 51 year old man killed his family and then himself in a murder-suicide. His note also indicated financial problems. The issue of financial problems leading to suicide range from college students buried in credit card debt and student loans to the elderly saddled with medical bills and decreased insurance coverage.

As noted there, people who commit suicide do not always kill only themselves. And the presence of firearms is particularly associated with suicide-homicide, since firearms provide the easiest and most effective way to kill other(s) and then one's self.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder%E2%80%93suicide

In a research specifically related to murder–suicide, Milton Rosenbaum (1990) discovered the murder–suicide perpetrators to be vastly different from perpetrators of homicide alone. Whereas murderer–suicides were found to be highly depressed and overwhelmingly men, other murderers were not generally depressed and more likely to include women in their ranks.[2] In the U.S. the overwhelming number of cases are male-on-female and involve guns.[3] Around one-third of partner homicides end in the suicide of the perpetrator. From national and international data and interviews with family members of murder–suicide perpetrators, the following are the key predictors of murder–suicide: access to a gun, a history of substance abuse, the male partner some years older than the female partner, a break-up or pending break-up, a history of battering, and suicidal ideation by the perpetrator.

Though there is no national tracking system for murder–suicides in the United States, medical studies into the phenomenon estimate between 1,000 to 1,500 deaths per year in the US,[4] with the majority occurring between spouses or intimate partners, males were the vast majority of the perpetrators, and over 90% of murder suicides involved a firearm. Depression, marital or/and financial problems, and other problems are generally motivators.

So unfortunately, other people may well be at risk in situations like the one you describe.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:24 AM

12. I'm still waiting for the shortage of shipping containers

it looks like everyone is prepping and building armageddon shelters, stocking them with food, water, ammo, firearms

and baklava.

What are they gonna do when they're all hunkered down underground and a flood hits em.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:43 AM

13. I'm always amused by this...

every single year, around this time of the year, for the past forever, the gun industry uses this pile of bullshit to clear out their inventory.

Note that it's a rare thing for the gun industry or gun sellers to ever run a sale.

fear is their best promotion.

A sucker is born every day.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 10:59 AM

18. A few data points to shed some light on the OP, which is woefully deficient in facts

It refers to an original real article at:

http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/03/3781758/some-say-re-election-fear-is-driving.html

The Astute Reader will note:

1. The state of Kentucky inflates the number of background checks because it performs checks on all of its concealed weapons permit holders monthly.

2. In most of the years 2005 - 2011, my home state of California appears in the top three for total number of background checks performed. If absyntheminded meant to refer to us here as "Idiot Texas Teabaggers" then perhaps absyntheminded hasn't thought it through very well.

3. An unknown but certainly large number of firearm transfers occur without background checks. This includes private, intrastate sales of used firearms in states that don't require checks on those transactions (i.e. most states,) and transfers to people who have licenses that exempt them from background checks, e.g. a Type 03 Federal Firearms License (Collector of Curios and Relics.) Even here in California which has some of the strictest state gun laws, there are provisions for transferring firearms among immediate family members without a background check being performed.

I think the attribution of increased gun sales to fear of an Obama re-election is a bit of a stretch. The OP really provides no hard evidence to support it. "Some say..." doesn't pass muster.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/03/3781758/some-say-re-election-fear-is-driving.html#storylink=cpy

BTW, I've bought just one firearm in the last four years - A revolver from a good friend. We did the transfer in accordance with California state law, through a federally licensed gun dealer. That transaction appears in the statistics for background checks, but it didn't result in a net increase in the number of guns owned by individuals.

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:00 AM

19. Because of all the guns he's taken away in his first three years in office?

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:05 AM

20. Democrats buy guns too..

it may not be because of Obama, but more and more of us , both men and women, see the value in exercising our RKBA...

Reply to this post

Response to Upton (Reply #20)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:45 AM

22. of course, nobody actually does anything

to exercise a right.

If exercising a right were my reason for doing something, I'd be hopping around on one foot singing The Maple Leaf Forever while juggling apples at the corner of Yonge and Bloor right now. Either that or jumping off a bridge.

People buy firearms because they see some value to themselves in possessing firearms. (Whether there actually is any value to them is an entirely different question.)

Unless maybe they're ideologues who do in fact do things to advance a political agenda ...

Reply to this post

Response to iverglas (Reply #22)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:54 AM

24. Regarding the value of firearms:

People buy firearms because they see some value to themselves in possessing firearms. (Whether there actually is any value to them is an entirely different question.)

While value is subjective, firearms are certainly a good investment value, consistently outperforming the stock market over time.

Reply to this post

Response to Upton (Reply #20)

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:48 AM

23. by the way

I've pointed out the rather complete meaninglessness of the figures you cite in that graph in the past; happy to do it again.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=118&topic_id=476662&mesg_id=476929

Reply to this post

Mon Mar 5, 2012, 11:16 AM

21. I wonder what they're going to do with all of those guns and ammo

if President Obama's secret police force doesn't actually start breaking down doors and prying guns out of their cold, dead hands during the next four years (just like the past 3 years)?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread