HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obama Decision On U.S. Sy...

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 07:21 PM

Obama Decision On U.S. Syria Attack Wins Applause From Skeptical Liberals - HuffPo

Obama Decision On U.S. Syria Attack Wins Applause From Skeptical Liberals
Ryan Grim - HuffPo
Posted: 08/31/2013 6:14 pm EDT | Updated: 08/31/2013 6:19 pm EDT

<snip>

WASHINGTON -- Liberals who are often critical of President Barack Obama's foreign policy are hailing his decision to seek authorization from Congress to strike Syria, even as many continue to oppose the military action itself. It is being seen as a step back from an increasingly imperial presidency in the post 9/11 era, on issues including indefinite detention, surveillance or global drone and cruise missile strikes.

Obama's move is also considered a rare act of genuine political courage. A congressional rejection would damage him politically, but he's pursuing it regardless in pursuit of a broader principle.

"It's great news that President Obama is seeking congressional approval for military action, an important precedent for all future presidents," said Adam Green of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, generally a critic of the president. "After years of societal and international norms being thrown out the door -- and things like torture, violations of civil liberties, and war becoming normalized -- today's announcement is an important down payment on proper norms and regular order being restored."

Congress is granted power in the United States Constitution to declare war, but modern presidents have routinely marginalized the legislative body. Obama said during his Rose Garden address Saturday that he believed he had the authority to strike on his own, but was choosing to bring in Congress.

"While I believe I have the authority to carry out this military action without specific congressional authorization, I know that the country will be stronger if we take this course, and our actions will be even more effective," he said. "I'm the president of the world's oldest constitutional democracy. I've long believed that our power is rooted not just in our military might, but in our example as a government of the people, by the people, and for the people."

Stephen Miles, of Win Without War, a coalition of antiwar groups, said the group is "proud to see President Obama is doing the right thing and that Congress will indeed get a vote. Now it is up to each and every American to call their member of Congress and let their voice be heard on this important issue."

<snip>

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/31/us-attack-syria_n_3849748.html

7 replies, 1237 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Obama Decision On U.S. Syria Attack Wins Applause From Skeptical Liberals - HuffPo (Original post)
WillyT Aug 2013 OP
gopiscrap Aug 2013 #1
WillyT Aug 2013 #3
gopiscrap Aug 2013 #4
DearAbby Aug 2013 #5
geek tragedy Aug 2013 #2
Rosa Luxemburg Aug 2013 #6
WillyT Aug 2013 #7

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 07:49 PM

1. I still don't think we should in

but I am gratified that he is going to Congress first.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to gopiscrap (Reply #1)

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 07:56 PM

3. I'm Torn On The Whole Thing...

I grew up in a house with a WWII dad, B-25 Marine pilot South Pacific, and a journalist...

Who totally agreed with the "Never Again" theory.

But after watching and learning about "police actions" and all the other excuses to create war without ever calling it war, has put me off.

Where the hell is seal team 6 ???

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #3)

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 07:58 PM

4. yeah my dad died in Vietnam and had also served in Korea and as a 17 year old in World War II

I saw too much pain and anguish as result of any war. Even a surgical strike kills or permanently wrecks a life that is loved by others.

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #3)

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 08:00 PM

5. Remember we are talking Atrocity to people who are unable to define RAPE

first we have to explain what an ATROCITY means. This is almost like your worst nightmare, a dysfunctional congress, and a crisis flares up. Either way, I feel it's gonna be a rude awakening for the slumbering giant.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 07:50 PM

2. Congress forced to do its job is newsworthy. ny

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 08:22 PM

6. Do we have any US intelligence working in Syria?

Reply to this post

Response to Rosa Luxemburg (Reply #6)

Sat Aug 31, 2013, 08:31 PM

7. Great Question...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread