HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I don't believe an "...

Sun Feb 26, 2012, 03:40 AM

I don't believe an "American Spring" will happen unless things are twice or three times as bad.

This is the worst recession since the Great Depression, but I really don't think people will wake up until easily 30% of the population is unemployed. Desperation can shake loose a lot of good and bad things, depending upon who is holding the reigns of power at the time.

If you have a reactionary, close-minded leader at the helm during another severe depression--we'll call it the Second Depression--you could end up living in a country that adopts a path not too different than the one Germany adopted under Adolf Hitler. If, on the other hand, you have a leader who is open to change and new ideas at the helm at the onset of the Second Depression, you could find yourself in a country that took a path not too different than the United States under Franklin Roosevelt when he pioneered the New Deal programs.

I'm not saying that I actually want the US to fall into the Second Depression, but I'm saying this from my own understanding of US and world history over the last couple hundred years. We need another New Deal to answer our problems. We do not need another France, 1789.

1 replies, views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread