HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » From the Guardian: Sexism...

Sun Aug 4, 2013, 06:01 PM

From the Guardian: Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter-one woman's gaming experience

While the extent of aggressive abuse on Twitter has recently hit the headlines and led the company to issue a statement insisting it hears the complaints the problems with outright sexism and misogyny are not limited to online blogging or social networks. One commenter on the Guardian, who uses the pseudonym TheIneffableSwede, described her experiences as a player in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG).

"I used to be emphasise used to be an avid participant in a certain online game. I was a very good player of this game, but the majority of its players are guys. I'd say the ratio is about 80:20 male:female for this game. The game is MMORPG and has millions of active users from all over the planet.

"Whenever I won against my opponents, which I did almost always, some male players would threaten to rape, mutilate, or even kill me (but rape was by far the most frequent threat). I reported these threats to the game operators, whose response was:

1. It's your fault for choosing a username that reflects your gender. You should change your name to something that is gender-neutral.

2. If you are concerned about this, report it to the police.

snip:

"In other words, even though these personal threats were against the game rules, the game's staff assumed no responsibility for enforcing the rules, or else blamed me for 'provoking' the male players. (One game operator did tell me that I 'provoked' the threats by 'playing too well' and suggested I deliberately lose more often so as not to bruise male egos. This game operator was, by the way, female.

"Eventually, I complained to the CEO himself of the gaming company and his response was to ban me from the game because he was 'tired of hearing about this problem'. The players who threatened me with rape, mutilation and death are still active in the game and some of them have been given jobs as game operators (the referees of the game).

Before I was banned, one of the game operators, an employee of the company, released my real-life details (full legal name, physical address, email, telephone number, link to my social media, such as Facebook, etc.) to thousands of other players (I had given this information when I registered for the game) and encouraged people to harass me outside the game, which several of them did. I had to change my mobile number, cancel my Facebook account, and even considered moving house at one point to escape the harassment.

snip:

She holds out a challenge to men who think that women exaggerate the extent to which they are hassled and abused online.

One (male) commentator with an avatar showing Peter Hitchens who suggested: "Try playing under a male username and you'll see that guys are subjected to the same name-calling and threats. It's just part of gaming and if you're too fragile for it then you shouldn't play."

snip:

She then offered the reverse challenge: "Why don't you try substituting Hitch's photograph with a female avatar for a week and see how it goes for you?

More: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/jul/30/sexism-abuse-twitter-woman-gaming-experience

Harassment, threats, and violence against women are quite commonplace, in a variety of different contexts (though some people seem to be in denial about this). And the worst part is, all too often, the women who are on the receiving end of harassment, threats, and violence, are the ones who are blamed for what has happened to them.

It's time to end this shit.

3 replies, 2647 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply From the Guardian: Sexism and abuse isn't only on Twitter-one woman's gaming experience (Original post)
YoungDemCA Aug 2013 OP
Warpy Aug 2013 #1
Downwinder Aug 2013 #2
Marr Aug 2013 #3

Response to YoungDemCA (Original post)

Sun Aug 4, 2013, 06:23 PM

1. Women aren't exaggerating any of this bullshit

and I learned 20 years ago that a gender neutral name was absolutely necessary to have an inbox free of death and torture threats.

Nobody is more sexist than a punk of any age who is able to hide behind a screen name none of the women in his family know.

The DU hate mailbag is mild compared to some of the bullshit directed at me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Aug 4, 2013, 06:46 PM

2. My granddaughter has to tone down her soccer play

when playing on a mostly male team.

Reply to this post

Sun Aug 4, 2013, 06:50 PM

3. I'm a male, but I use a name with "Cat" in it for gaming.

I like my cat, what can I say.

Anyway, I get pretty regular sexist insults and inappropriate comments from men who assume that anyone with "Cat" in their name must be female. Gaming communities vary greatly by game, but many are complete cesspits.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread