HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » ACLU: America using Manni...

Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:19 PM

ACLU: America using Manning case to intimidate ANYONE considering revealing valuable info in future

“While we’re relieved that Mr. Manning was acquitted of the most dangerous charge, the ACLU has long held the view that leaks to the press in the public interest should not be prosecuted under the Espionage Act,” said Ben Wizner, director of the ACLU’s Speech, Privacy and Technology Project. “Since he already pleaded guilty to charges of leaking information – which carry significant punishment – it seems clear that the government was seeking to intimidate anyone who might consider revealing valuable information in the future.”

Read more: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07/30/bradley-manning-found-not-guilty-of-aiding-the-enemy-still-faces-over-100-years-in-prison/#ixzz2aabEoupT

9 replies, 1559 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply ACLU: America using Manning case to intimidate ANYONE considering revealing valuable info in future (Original post)
kpete Jul 2013 OP
Th1onein Jul 2013 #1
frazzled Jul 2013 #2
dogknob Jul 2013 #4
newfie11 Jul 2013 #8
MotherPetrie Jul 2013 #3
Fumesucker Jul 2013 #5
Hydra Jul 2013 #6
woo me with science Jul 2013 #7
kentuck Jul 2013 #9

Response to kpete (Original post)

Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:46 PM

1. Thank the Universe for the ACLU! eom

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:10 AM

2. Anyone who wants to indiscriminately dump 700,000 classified documents?

That's not an everyday event. People need to understand that there's a difference between someone leaking a specific piece of information (and documents pertaining directly to that issue) and these kinds of mass steal-and-dump actions. It's new because it was never possible to do before thumb drives and laptops. The Pentagon Papers at least was a single report.

There were real laws broken here, and putting out 250,000 private diplomatic cables for the world to see cannot possibly be construed as blowing the whistle on any one thing. Let's imagine that we cheer every time a government employee decides to dump the entire files of the military or the State Department ... the ability of the government to act would be decimated.

In the new world of technology, we do need to approach things differently. This is not the Wild West.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #2)

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 01:06 AM

4. "Laws?" Look around...

...We are no longer a nation of laws.

We are a nation of privileges. This is not the Wild West. It is the Wild World.

I'd love to see the return of laws; the kind that everyone, regardless of wealth, has to follow.

We'll have to get through Monsanto's private, accountable-to-nothing-but-corporate-policy, army, and some other stuff, before that happens.

Reply to this post

Response to dogknob (Reply #4)

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:17 AM

8. +1

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:55 AM

3. K&R and let's be specific. It's the OBAMA ADMINISTRATION that's using Manning to intimidate

whistleblowers.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 01:13 AM

5. I'm fucking quaking in my boots.. The ACLU can go fuck themselves.. I'll release what I want..

Reply to this post

Response to Fumesucker (Reply #5)

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 01:38 AM

6. Laws are for little people

And look how well they abuse those laws towards the little people? 100+ years in jail for exposing lawbreaking. Not the first time either...assuming you don't end up like the DC Madam or Michael Hastings.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 02:20 AM

7. +100000 That's exactly what they are doing,

while also changing the interpretation of the Espionage Act to criminalize journalism and waging legal battles to curtail the union and whistleblower rights of hundreds of thousands of federal employees.

It all boils down to one apparent unconscionable goal: to eliminate every possible avenue for exposing government crimes and tyranny.

Reply to this post

Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:28 AM

9. How could it not?

Leaks to the press should not be prosecuted under the Espionage Act, period.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread