HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I call them my "Moses Mom...

Mon Jul 8, 2013, 11:55 PM

I call them my "Moses Moments."

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by bettyellen (a host of the General Discussion forum).

The times when I feel completely overwhelmed, frustrated, ineffectual, and whiny.

"Why me, God?" (Yes, I believe in an entity bigger than myself who has an amused awareness of A Grand Plan, and I don't want to argue about it on this thread.)

"Why ME?"

(Yes, God gets a lot of my whinier moments. If you want perfect, this isn't the thread for you.)

"Couldn't you have picked someone better qualified for this?"

(Sometimes I feel like an idiot who just likes to bang her head against a wall in a very ineffectual manner.)

"I am VERY BUSY - I am OVERWHELMED - I don't know how to climb this unclimbable mountain to complete this IMPOSSIBLE task!"

(Apparently I believe God needs to be lectured sometimes, because God needs things like this explained.)

"What were You thinking when You plopped this situation into my lap? I am not rich, I am not powerful, I am NOBODY in the grand scheme of things, and I think maybe You Screwed Up when You decided I could handle this! I mean, do You just ENJOY watching me jump through hoops? Is that it? Is watching me FAIL at something this important just some kind of character building exercise?"

(I do not always think God understands just how challenging my life is sometimes; I am not always convinced "omniscient" applies when it comes to my life.)

"I am doing the best I can - or really close to my best - oh, God, I think this IS my best, and I am SCREWING IT ALL UP! I don't know what to do! AAARRRGGGHHH!"

"Help, please."

I have "Moses Moments" on a regular basis with a wide variety of topics: my parenting, my spousing, my job, my volunteer work - you name it, and I have whined about it. Frankly, I am sometimes unsure of how I manage to stumble through a day sometimes, but honestly, I have been blessed with so much in the way of opportunities and choices, I am simply in awe of how amazingly lucky I am. My children are healthy, my husband is loving, my job is interesting, my volunteer work is rewarding, I have food, shelter, a running vehicle, and education.

Seriously, I still whine, even though I don't have a lot of "real" problems to whine about.

It is kind of embarrassing.

Ramadan begins soon; I will be fasting for thirty days while working to keep "an attitude of gratitude" for the many good things I have in my life. I will be feeling hunger as I drive by restaurants and grocery stores filled with an abundance of food, feeling thirsty in buildings where clean water comes from a tap, and spending time with people I love and care about daily.

I will also be whining because this year's "sunrise to sunset" fasting means getting up for breakfast at 4:00 am and eating supper after 9:00 pm which is going to be a very long, challenging thirty days.

It is going to be HARD, and I am not sure I can do it. It is summertime, and it gets hot out there. Plus I *hate* getting up early. And besides....

I warned you this thread wasn't full of me being perfect. I will be praying my favorite prayer a lot:

"Help, please."

6 replies, 1040 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply I call them my "Moses Moments." (Original post)
IdaBriggs Jul 2013 OP
shraby Jul 2013 #1
IdaBriggs Jul 2013 #2
shraby Jul 2013 #3
hfojvt Jul 2013 #4
IdaBriggs Jul 2013 #5
bettyellen Jul 2013 #6

Response to IdaBriggs (Original post)

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 12:00 AM

1. I have full confidence that you are up to the challenge. If you weren't, you wouldn't be IdaBriggs.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to shraby (Reply #1)

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 12:08 AM

2. Thank you! (tears)

That was just such an amazing and wonderful thing to say!

Response to IdaBriggs (Reply #2)

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 01:05 AM

3. And thank you, you deserved it.

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 01:24 AM

4. take heart

the daylight portion of the day is getting about two minutes shorter every day. By the end of Ramadan you will have to do an hour less of fasting.

Ergo, if you can make it through the first few days of the month, you should be able to handle the rest. The fast on day #8 is almost 15 minutes shorter than the one on day #1

Response to hfojvt (Reply #4)

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 10:38 AM

5. I know. Oddly enough it didn't make getting up easier this morning!

But I had a lovely breakfast - an egg sandwhich with a nice slice of beefsteak tomato!

I am hitting the "it's 10:30 a.m. and I am starving" which is purely psychological at this point - lol! The brain is a tricky thing.

Tue Jul 9, 2013, 01:31 PM

6. Please repost in the religion forum- thank you. locking now.