HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » We need a "millionai...

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:13 AM

We need a "millionaire's tax" to pay for the Iraq war.

After all, who profited the most from that war?

Whose children did NOT have to go fight in it, possibly losing life, limbs, or sanity?

WHY are we suddenly told the federal budget has to be balanced by raiding other programs, programs that help the poor and middle-class - those who gave their children to the war - when

the Iraq war was never paid for?

32 replies, 3727 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply We need a "millionaire's tax" to pay for the Iraq war. (Original post)
MH1 Dec 2011 OP
MH1 Dec 2011 #1
cottage10 Dec 2011 #2
MH1 Dec 2011 #4
stockholmer Dec 2011 #3
TheKentuckian Dec 2011 #7
stockholmer Dec 2011 #21
jwirr Dec 2011 #5
gateley Dec 2011 #6
mainer Dec 2011 #8
MH1 Dec 2011 #10
mainer Dec 2011 #13
MH1 Dec 2011 #16
mainer Dec 2011 #26
StarsInHerHair Dec 2011 #31
mainer Dec 2011 #27
MH1 Dec 2011 #14
phasma ex machina Dec 2011 #9
MH1 Dec 2011 #11
phasma ex machina Dec 2011 #17
MH1 Dec 2011 #18
phasma ex machina Dec 2011 #19
tritsofme Dec 2011 #22
phasma ex machina Dec 2011 #29
stockholmer Dec 2011 #23
phasma ex machina Dec 2011 #30
Bogart Dec 2011 #12
MH1 Dec 2011 #15
StarsInHerHair Dec 2011 #32
gulliver Dec 2011 #20
Initech Dec 2011 #24
sarcasmo Dec 2011 #25
RobertEarl Dec 2011 #28

Response to MH1 (Original post)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:23 AM

1. Has any member of Congress had the cojones to say this?

Just wondering.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:25 AM

2. I'll second that. And don't forget Afghanistan too.

Obama has pissed away $288 billion on the Afghanistan 'surge' fiasco (yes, I am mad about it--one of his worst decisions as President IMO). Now the GOP wants the elderly, middle class and poor to pay for these wars.

Reply to this post

Response to cottage10 (Reply #2)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:36 AM

4. I probably should have included Afghanistan, but that cashier isn't finished ringing up.

In theory at least, the Iraq War is OVER. So there's a nice demarcation where the total cost can be calculated. I think that cost needs to be charged to those who wanted it and profited from it.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:28 AM

3. a 1% Wall Street transaction tax on all turnover, with the first $1 million exempted would fix a lot

Even if you taxed 100% of ALL ordinary income of the top 1% of Americans, you still wouldnt generate enough to close the deficit, let alone start to pay off the debt.

The rich, the banks, the multinational firms use thousands of loopholes in the tax code to avoid paying taxes (mainly due to these very same groups basically writing the tax code themselves and having their puppets of both parties in Congress pass it).

Reply to this post

Response to stockholmer (Reply #3)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:43 AM

7. A small piece of the passive income of the top 20% along with a minor increase in the regular income

would take care of the non-structural deficit, the only way to control the long term is to get a real handle on medical inflation and outspending the planet on the military.

Reply to this post

Response to TheKentuckian (Reply #7)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 02:41 PM

21. spot on about the empric war spending, and the out of control 'for-profit' medical system

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:39 AM

5. I like this idea. Why not make it specific what it is they are paying for. They wanted these wars

now let them pay for them. I would love to see the profiteers taxed even higher as the love these wars.

Reply to this post

Response to jwirr (Reply #5)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:42 AM

6. I like the idea of making it specific. nt

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:43 AM

8. I'm afraid, though, that most Americans wanted this war

Not just the 1%. Look at where all the rah-rah support was coming from: military bases, working class neighborhoods, and southern states. Most 1 percenters I know were violently opposed to the war. I recall sitting in a pub, surrounded by blue-collar guys who were cheering the night of shock and awe on TV. I left in disgust.

Everyone who supported it must bear the consequences. And no one, not even the 99%, should get a pass.

Reply to this post

Response to mainer (Reply #8)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:48 AM

10. "most Americans" were manipulated into wanting it by the corporate-owned media

actually, most Americans I know, even those who dislike Obama, think that the Iraq War was a mistake and a huge waste of money and lives. At least that's what they tell me. Maybe they are just avoiding argument. Anyway, that's one reason to keep Afghanistan out of it. With most people, Iraq was more clear-cut of a mistake. Most people DID think that going into Afghanistan was the right thing to do. So keep that discussion for another time.

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Reply #10)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:51 AM

13. NOW they think it was a mistake. Not in 2003. And where was that support coming from then?

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/770/iraq-war-five-year-anniversary

It was people who were too ignorant, and too sheeplike to inform themselves. And that, I'm afraid, was the majority of Americans.

To insulate those same ignorant Americans from their mistaken faith in Bush is to insulate them from the consequences of their own ignorance. It cannot be palmed off on any one economic group, otherwise it will happen again and again.

Reply to this post

Response to mainer (Reply #13)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:02 PM

16. maybe people were too busy to try to get information other than from the TV news.

busy raising kids, putting themselves to work on top of working full-time, who knows.

I blame those who deliberately executed the manipulation tactics, and they are the ones who should pay.

A person shouldn't pay for believing what was on the evening news on CBS and ABC. Of course that gets into a whole different discussion about media responsibility and accountability. But I think to some extent, blaming average people for believing what they are told by supposedly responsible sources, is blaming the victim.

And anyway, whoever chose it, is it not true that the rich profited and didn't have to sacrifice their kids, while it was the opposite for the middle-class and lower incomes?

Do you think 'those same ignorant Americans' with their 'mistaken faith in Bush' deserve to be punished by having Medicare cut or highway maintenance left unfunded? What about those of us who weren't ignorant, but who will also be punished by those cuts?

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Reply #16)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 04:24 PM

26. Yay, let's go to war! Oh, guess that was a mistake. Tell Rich Joe pay for it; he's got the cash.

If the American people don't COLLECTIVELY take responsibility for their insane war fever, then they will never oppose it in the future. Everyone must feel some pain for this. Or they will all rush to war again.

The 1% is not monolithic. All the 1 percenters I know (artists, musicians, actors, writers) were fervently against it. Why should they suffer for the ignorance o f the 99 percenters who loved the idea of kicking Saddam's ass?

Reply to this post

Response to mainer (Reply #26)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:28 AM

31. that's just it-a tax on the 1% will not HURT them, while the middle class & down is HURTING NOW

we have nothing left to give, the 1% DO have lots of room to give.

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Reply #16)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 04:28 PM

27. None of us on DU were too busy to get that information

Many of us were also working our tails off, worried about our draft-age sons, worried about the direction of the country. We opposed the war. One didn't have to be rich to see the truth; all you had to do was pay attention.

Trouble was, the "what's the matter with Kansas" Republicans -- and the vast majority of them were NOT rich -- love the idea of blowing up other people. They love vengeance. They love bullying. They elected George Bush. They need to understand there are consequences -- and they can't foist their faulty decision on a small segment of the population and claim they were "too powerless to know."

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:52 AM

14. certainly, I'd like to see a specific discussion in Congress about how the war should be paid for.

Let them VOTE to take it from highway funding, Medicare, or wherever. but let them be honest that the Iraq War was a HUGE chunk of the debt they are trying to address, and let's talk about where that money SHOULD come from.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:46 AM

9. Strike at the root with a "Rothschild tax" on the City of London central banking cousinhood war pigs

Reply to this post

Response to phasma ex machina (Reply #9)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:50 AM

11. that's too complex for most people.

I think the point I make in my original post is NOT too complex for most people to understand, AND most people will agree with the basic premises.

but then again maybe I don't understand your post, myself.

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Reply #11)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:33 PM

17. The City of London central banksters sent America a "monkey minder" to make sure the proper message

got out during the first Presidential address after 9-11. The message of yet another invasion of Afghanistan by the British Empire, this time using American "muscle."

Reply to this post

Response to phasma ex machina (Reply #17)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:40 PM

18. But my post was about Iraq, not Afghanistan.

The question of how to pay for the Afghanistan war is another question, and your point may have applicability to that question ... although I don't know how we would charge the British government for the actions of their past administration. Or how we would get the "City of London central banksters" (aka British citizens, or 'subjects' I guess) to pay into the American treasury.

To my o.p., your point does not seem relevant. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11 or Afghanistan, other than that we weakened our effort there by pulling troops out to move them to Iraq, before bin Laden was captured and before that country was stabilized after our invasion. (Not judging the invasion here, just commenting on the idiotic tactics of pulling troops out before the job was done, assuming one decided to do the job.)

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Reply #18)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:49 PM

19. The "no fly zone" in Iraq prior to invasion was a joint British-American op.

BTW, regarding my photo above, what are all those British flags doing in the White House/Capitol? America's independent from Great Britain, right?

Reply to this post

Response to phasma ex machina (Reply #19)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 02:50 PM

22. Did you know the Queen of England is head of an international drug cartel? And that the OKC Bombing

was a British plot? Oops! We both just thought we were on a LaRouchie message board instead of DU! How silly we must feel!

I mean, British flags at the White House when a British PM is visiting is a pretty damning indictment, you are so right!

Reply to this post

Response to tritsofme (Reply #22)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:43 PM

29. The sovereign state of the City of London, the richest square mile on earth, owned by the City of

London Corporation, is not subject to the Queen's authority. In fact, it's the other way around. Her Majesty FOLLOWS Lord Mayor after he grants her permission to enter HIS sovereign state.

Why do you want to stick lowly Americans with paying for the military adventures that primarily benefit City of London central banksters?

Why ignore the Anglo-American shadow empire?

Reply to this post

Response to phasma ex machina (Reply #17)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 03:05 PM

23. I like your way of thinking, keep up the great posts (The City of London is the epicenter of evil)

I bang my head each day that so many intelligent people do not understand that the privately held central banks (Fed Reserve, ECB, BoE, BoC, etc etc) and their multi-national counterparts (IMF, World Bank, etc and the big granddaddy BIS) run the world thru a hyper complex web of monetary debt control over private firms, markets, and sovereign nations alike.

1990 nations that didn't have a City of London Rothschild network controlled central bank

Afghanistan, Iraq, Sudan, Libya, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Somalia, Syria, Yugoslavia

2004 nations that didn't

Sudan, Libya, Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Syria, Somalia (Afghanistan, Iraq, and the former Yugoslavian all invaded by Nato)

2011 nations that dont

Cuba, Iran, Syria, North Korea

(Sudan split into north and south, both parts have London network-controlled central banks, Libya, Somalia (nominal control by the network backed government) inavded by NATO et al)

See a pattern? I do.

Reply to this post

Response to stockholmer (Reply #23)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 10:51 PM

30. The fastest way to become an enemy of America is to buck the City of London Corporation.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:50 AM

12. What we really need...

is a foreign policy that is not based on wars.

Reply to this post

Response to Bogart (Reply #12)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 11:58 AM

15. Make it expensive enough to the decision-makers

and the decision-makers will start making different decisions.

Reply to this post

Response to MH1 (Reply #15)

Sun Dec 18, 2011, 07:37 AM

32. when the decision makers also make the laws-how do you make it expensive FOR THEM

when they just design the cost to fall on us? What is the traditional recourse in our situation?

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:58 PM

20. Just like a draft

If a tax on the wealthy had been required to pay for the war, Bush would never have been able to stampede the country into it in the first place. Then he would have had nothing to use as an election tool in 2002 and a reelection tool in 2004. The world would have continued for a decade, seeing Iraq in the newspaper about once a month on page 8-b. And Saddam would have been Arab-Springed this year.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 03:15 PM

24. The Iraq War was a war waged by billionaires for the sake of profit.

We should be taxing their profits like we tax lottery winnings and taking 1/2 until their god damn war is paid for.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 03:17 PM

25. The roober barrons run the country

they will not allow themselves to be taxed.

Reply to this post

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 04:36 PM

28. good idea

and a great sum of money should go directly into the pockets of all the grunt-soldiers. and even more to the families of those who gave their lives for the country.

the money would be well spent and help main street economies. how the could the rich complain? what sacrifice did the rich make for the war? none that i am aware of, but the soldiers and their families sacrificed. time for them to be renumerated as best as they can be.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread