HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Doug Levitt: The Greyhoun...

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:04 AM

Doug Levitt: The Greyhound Diaries on Dylan Ratigan Show

A very interesting topic of the poor becoming "disconnected" (with respect to social media) came up.

Levitt described his perceptions of riding Greyhound bus for tens of thousands of miles. He described many riders as those "that couldn't afford a car". Further, he never saw more than a couple of mobile devices on any given bus trip. He gave me the perception that the number of people that can't afford such services are much greater than what I had imagined. Levitt spoke of a widening gap between those that are "connected" and those that are not.

Think of the potential "message gap" as poverty rates increase. How can these people be reached or more important, how can they reach us? Is this issue big enough that we are not getting enough narrative to really know how bad things are out there?

Perhaps pitching tents wasn't a bad idea for the occupy movement after all? Maybe those signs and chants were reaching an element that couldn't be otherwised reached?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31510813/#45702512

2 replies, 2095 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Doug Levitt: The Greyhound Diaries on Dylan Ratigan Show (Original post)
mick063 Dec 2011 OP
russspeakeasy Dec 2011 #1
JDPriestly Dec 2011 #2

Response to mick063 (Original post)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 12:41 AM

1. Thanks.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mick063 (Original post)

Sat Dec 17, 2011, 03:30 AM

2. As one who rode a lot of Greyhound buses in my time,

thanks for the attention to the forgotten masses who rely on buses for travel.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread