HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The recent SCOTUS decisio...

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 12:35 PM

The recent SCOTUS decision on DNA might help with the military rape issue

(at least stateside)

Here's how:

servicewoman gets raped by a fellow soldier.

SHE "takes it outside" by going to the police/hospital in whatever community she lives in.

According to the hearings I watched, for most women who report within the military, their careers are pretty much over anyway, so if that's a given, and they fear that rape kits might not be done at the base hospital (or they will be "lost", why NOT take a stand and go out side where the man will be charged and arrested (and now DNA taken automatically).

Once a dozen or so women take this approach, the military might tire of seeing front page headlines about WHY women choose this way. Perhaps after mugshots & details of their best & brightest start appearing in local news, they will change their approach.

If the senate version of the bill they are negotiating includes a non-retaliation section, maybe this is another arrow in the women's quiver.

2 replies, 531 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply The recent SCOTUS decision on DNA might help with the military rape issue (Original post)
SoCalDem Jun 2013 OP
winterpark Jun 2013 #1
SoCalDem Jun 2013 #2

Response to SoCalDem (Original post)

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 01:14 PM

1. The military does not allow outside law enforcement to investigate or handle charges

against their own. If a female member makes a charge to outside law enforcement I believe they take the report but refers the case back to the mp's on base. I could be wrong.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to winterpark (Reply #1)

Thu Jun 13, 2013, 01:18 PM

2. Perhaps, BUT if a report is taken "outside", it gets attention

and vital samples are taken by outside law enforcement, and probably retained by them.

Secrecy & the good-ole-boy network inside the military is the problem here..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread