HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A post from one of my pal...

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 04:44 PM

A post from one of my pals on facebook about Thatcher... had to share.

"Commentators struggling to present some semblance of neutrality in response to the departure of such an undoubtedly polarising individual express sentiments such as: "Whatever your views on her policies, you have to respect her determination."

Sorry, but to my mind that was her most despicable attribute. Self-belief to that degree is the province of the zealot and is the enemy of reason. It should have no place in politics, but sadly it is all too often otherwise, the pages of history being littered with megalomaniacs, the credulous fools who respect a "strong leader" and give them the support they so rarely deserve."

He's asked me not to attribute.

12 replies, 1997 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply A post from one of my pals on facebook about Thatcher... had to share. (Original post)
sibelian Apr 2013 OP
Warpy Apr 2013 #1
Whiskeytide Apr 2013 #2
treestar Apr 2013 #3
Posteritatis Apr 2013 #4
sibelian Apr 2013 #6
SoCalDem Apr 2013 #5
Moses2SandyKoufax Apr 2013 #7
forestpath Apr 2013 #10
October Apr 2013 #11
n2doc Apr 2013 #8
rhett o rick Apr 2013 #9
Ratty Apr 2013 #12

Response to sibelian (Original post)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 04:50 PM

1. Exactly, confidence turned to ego and pig headedness

combined with policies that were clear failures by increasing human misery in her country were not fine attributes in her any more than they were for the last president of the US and his team.

Rigid ideologues who are morally certain always do the most damage to all of us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 04:54 PM

2. Thank you.

That sums it up quite well. I'm sorry for her family and her loved ones, and I make it a practice to try and not celebrate anyone's death. But I am overwhelmingly glad to see her out of politics. Not one of my favorite people.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 04:55 PM

3. Exactly

It's not always good when people know what they want and will do anything to get it. Western society seems to admire that trait beyond reason. Like everything, it has its limits.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 04:56 PM

4. I'm somewhat struck at the intensity of the reactions

Reagan polarized people as well, but the ferocity I've seen from both sides since Thatcher died is impressive.

Reply to this post

Response to Posteritatis (Reply #4)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:08 PM

6. She changed the United Kingdom's ideology fundamentally.

It was felt at the time, deeply, and, among those who understood who politics works, understood at the time for exactly what it was.

She will never be forgotten, and forgiveness is not an option. You can't be "reasonable" about pure evil.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:01 PM

5. Being "determined" in some is just foolhardy stubbornness

Stubbornness is a basic character flaw or personality defect, one of seven possible chief features adopted in adolescence.....
http://personalityspirituality.net/articles/the-michael-teachings/chief-features/stubbornness/

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:09 PM

7. That was the same general reaction when Andrew Breitbart died.

"Whatever your views on him, you have to respect his determination and passion...."

No, I don't. This man made a career and fortune causing pain and misery to those who deserved neither. And for that his humiliating and, undignified death brought me (and many others) tremendous joy and relief.

Reply to this post

Response to Moses2SandyKoufax (Reply #7)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:21 PM

10. +1 I say good riddance to both of them.

Reply to this post

Response to Moses2SandyKoufax (Reply #7)

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:36 PM

11. Exactly.

I don't have to say anything evil, but I certainly do not HAVE to respect them in any way. And, I don't.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:17 PM

8. Stalin was determined

So was Pol Pot. So were a lot of evil people that reached power. I don't respect that.

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 05:21 PM

9. Most criminals are determined. Not that she was a common criminal, she was a war criminal. nm

Reply to this post

Mon Apr 8, 2013, 07:35 PM

12. That's what people say about Ron Paul

Drives me bonkers when I hear it right here on DU. "You have to admire how he sticks to his ideals." "At least he's consistent." No, never wavering from an insane mindset is under no circumstances an admirable quality. Changing one's mind is not a character flaw.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread