HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Not a Great Day for Apple...

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:37 PM

Not a Great Day for Apple...

First the Galaxy S4, now this...

In a case of David vs. Goliath, the Mexican Supreme Court has upheld a lower court ruling that iFone, a small IT company in Mexico City, is the rightful owner of the iPhone name in that country.

The company registered the name in 2003, four years before Apple rolled out the smartphone it dubbed the iPhone, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The case goes back to 2009, when Apple tried to register the phone brand name in Mexico and the Mexican Industrial Property Institute said it was already taken. Apple tried to take the name by suing, arguing that it had expired for iFone.

Gallastegui didn't say how much iFone is claiming, but he said the law would allow iFone to go after at least 40% of the iPhone sales in Mexico, according to the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-iphone-mexico-ifone-20130315,0,4802470.story

4 replies, 1323 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Not a Great Day for Apple... (Original post)
theKed Mar 2013 OP
still_one Mar 2013 #1
theKed Mar 2013 #4
DainBramaged Mar 2013 #2
dipsydoodle Mar 2013 #3

Response to theKed (Original post)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:41 PM

1. Didn't bother the stock today

Also the s4 looks like a great phone but the presentation at radio city music hall was garbage

I also have no doubt that apple will come out with a formidable competitor this year

Htc already has one

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to still_one (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 10:00 PM

4. I'm looking forward to

the incrementally improved iPhone 5S this christmas.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:47 PM

2. Apple, they think they own everything, well, them and Google anyway, and Facebook

shit we are screwed....

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:47 PM

3. Reminds me of when

Microsoft sued a guy in Scotland whose company name was Mike Rowe Software. His name really was Michael Rowe and the judge told MS not to be stupid given that the likelyhood of anyone confusing the two companies was nil.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread