HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Apple Announces New Phone

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 07:54 AM

Apple Announces New Phone

Korea's Samsung turned to song and dance on
Thursday as it took a shot at ousting Apple as
king of the smartphone.
In a packed Radio City Music Hall in Manhattan,
Samsung unveiled the Galaxy S4, the latest
iteration of its best-selling smartphone, and set
out its challenge to Apple on the US giant's own
turf.
In a widely anticipated move, the company
unveiled the most eye-catching feature of the
new phone. It has pioneered the "smart scroll
and smart pause" feature. The facing camera on
the handset monitors users' eye movements and
behaves accordingly. Tilting the phone while
looking at it will scroll web pages and it can even
pause a video if a user looks away.
After weeks of teasing, Samsung unveiled a
phone it is promoting as "moving beyond touch".
With a simple wave of the hand, Minority
Report-style, the phone will move a web page or
a photograph....

http://m.guardiannews.com/technology/2013/mar/15/galaxy-s4-launched-samsung-tracking

31 replies, 4380 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply Apple Announces New Phone (Original post)
theKed Mar 2013 OP
brucefan Mar 2013 #1
theKed Mar 2013 #2
HappyMe Mar 2013 #3
MadHound Mar 2013 #4
RobinA Mar 2013 #5
RudynJack Mar 2013 #9
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #6
Tikki Mar 2013 #7
theKed Mar 2013 #10
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #12
theKed Mar 2013 #13
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #15
theKed Mar 2013 #17
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #19
theKed Mar 2013 #23
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #24
Apophis Mar 2013 #8
theKed Mar 2013 #11
Apophis Mar 2013 #14
theKed Mar 2013 #18
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #16
Apophis Mar 2013 #20
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #22
sir pball Mar 2013 #27
sir pball Mar 2013 #25
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #26
sir pball Mar 2013 #28
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #29
sir pball Mar 2013 #30
CosmicDustBunny Mar 2013 #31
geek tragedy Mar 2013 #21

Response to theKed (Original post)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 07:57 AM

1. What did Apple announce?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brucefan (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:00 AM

2. The headline is a joke

relating to Apple's propensity for suing Samsung, claiming things that are nothing like Apple products are infringing on Apple products. Also that Apple products based on technologies others pioneer, are revolutionary only when Apple releases them

Reply to this post

Response to brucefan (Reply #1)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:04 AM

3. That they are ready to wave

the white flag.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:09 AM

4. Ooo, my soul sucking, exploitive corporation is better than yours!

I just don't get corporate fanboys. Apple, Samsung, they are both exploitive, soul sucking corporations. What's worse, I'm sure that some fanboy will come along anytime now to tell me how Samsung sucks less souls than Apple

Get a life.

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 08:28 AM

5. Who Designs These Things

5-year olds? This stuff is looking more and more toy-like. I'm looking for the Fisher-Price logo on this one.

Reply to this post

Response to RobinA (Reply #5)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:41 AM

9. It's just a background picture

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:31 AM

6. Apple's okay, but I prefer Samsung. At least Samsung makes flip phones (the only thing I use).

Motorola used to make them but seem to have abandoned them. With a flip phone all the goodies are safe in a clam shell. I've dropped them from some height onto concrete and they suffered nothing more than scratches - they aren't "shiney" to begin with.

Someone mentioned that it should have a "Fischer-Price" logo on it. I feel the same way about Win8. Smart phones are too big to put in a t-shirt pocket and have a silly interface (same as Win8), and I use a computer to access the Internet because I want to be able to SEE what I'm browsing. I'm sure the eye-movement and motion-sensor features will appeal to the youngins, but I just need a basic phone and right now Samsung offers what I actually need (and at a reasonable price - Apple is expensive and always has been).

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:36 AM

7. Love my flip phone.

Had an open-face phone for a short time. Hated it. If flip phones go away
I hope there will be a secondary market to retro-fit a cell phone with a flip.

Tikki

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #6)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:47 AM

10. Agreed.

Flip phones are great. If I were getting a cell phone solely as a phone, they are what I choose.

I do like the multipurpose functionality of a touch phone, though. Screen sizes are getting ridiculous, though. The 4.2" screen on my cell, now, is just about as big as I would want for portabilty and convenience.

Reply to this post

Response to theKed (Reply #10)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:51 AM

12. The only things I use the screen for are caller ID, checking battery level, and the time.

Mine has two screens, one inside and one out. I keep the outer one on the "analog clock" setting. Believe it or not, I can glace at an analog and capture the time quicker than I can with digital. I know it sounds weird, but I prefer analog. My on-screen clocks on all of my computers are set to a simple "school clock" analog setting - with the second hand. Vista/Win7 clocks all do the little back-tick as they move. It so reminds me of waiting for the end of 3rd period.

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #12)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:56 AM

13. I prefer analog, too

And agree on it being faster to interpret an image than read a series of numbers.

My phone serves as a GPS, an on-the-go web browser, spreadsheet editor, email client, and a host of other things.

Sometimes I wonder how chefs got by before computer technology.

Reply to this post

Response to theKed (Reply #13)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:03 PM

15. Chefs?

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #15)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:07 PM

17. Yeah

My career. My phone (and computers in general) are a massive boon to my work

Reply to this post

Response to theKed (Reply #17)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:12 PM

19. You're a chef? If so, we need to talk privately. I've got a kid looking that direction.

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #19)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:41 PM

23. Sure

PM me if you like

Reply to this post

Response to theKed (Reply #23)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:46 PM

24. Apparently I don't have enough posts to start a PM or something. Can you PM me?

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:38 AM

8. Apple iPhones don't even have quad-core phones.

And Samsung is up to octo-core phones now.

Bye bye Apple.

Reply to this post

Response to Apophis (Reply #8)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:51 AM

11. If they hold true to form

we should get an "iPhone 5S" from Apple for the holidays this year, with new case styling and a modest incremental performance boost.

They're putting nitrous in last year's car while android phone makers are rolling out rocket cars fueled by pure awesome.

Reply to this post

Response to theKed (Reply #11)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 11:58 AM

14. The iPhone 5S just may be a dual-core, 1.9 GHz phone!

And Apple will expect their fans to wait in line for hours and pay full retail price for it!

Reply to this post

Response to Apophis (Reply #14)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:08 PM

18. It's cutting edge!

It has Siri! And Google Maps (irony!)! And ... and ... shiny plastic with an apple logo ... they'll eat that shit up with a fork

Reply to this post

Response to Apophis (Reply #8)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:04 PM

16. Octo-core? Geeze. My server's only got 6 cores.

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #16)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:18 PM

20. Tell me about it.

My Galaxy Note 2 is more powerful than my laptop.

Reply to this post

Response to Apophis (Reply #20)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:25 PM

22. Well, then again, the process meter on my server rarely crosses the 25% line and it has 24GB of RAM.

I've also got 9TB of ready storage and can always strap on more externals as needed. A phone is a phone and a computer is a computer. Trying to mix the two is like mating a motorcycle with a pick-up truck. I put smart phones in the "jack of all trades, master of none" category.

Reply to this post

Response to Apophis (Reply #20)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:04 PM

27. By the clockspeed x number of cores metric, maybe

But ARM isn't a performance architecture right now, their emphasis is on power draw. My S3's numbers put it at just over 50% of my laptop (dual-core phone @ 2.1ghz, quad-core laptop @ 2ghz) but the Linpack numbers are, um, not exactly comparable...as in phone is in the megaflops, laptop is in gigaflops.

Then again, a CELL PHONE doing MEGAFLOPS is still pretty mindblowing.

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #16)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:00 PM

25. Well to be fair, four of them aren't much to look at.

If it's the new Exynos the press has been speculating on, there's four 2009-era Cortex-A9 cores for "housekeeping" purposes; that doesn't amount to very much either in the way of power or real estate given the much smaller process they're working with.

Now, the 4 full-spec A15 cores on the other hand...salivation. Then again, I'm hearing there's also a quad-core Snapdragon version, which is probably still the Krait cores and would be for the North American LTE market. Nothing to sniff at, but nothing nearly as amazing.

Reply to this post

Response to sir pball (Reply #25)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:02 PM

26. Any idea what these "small core" versions are based on (with respect to the processor)?

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #26)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:09 PM

28. Not quite clear what you mean by "small core"..

The quad-core versions are Qualcomm Snapdragons, most likely the Krait version, a partial Cortex-A15 design - same chip in the HTC One, just a bit faster. The four lightweight cores in the 8-core version are ARM Cortex-A9 cores, two generations old - same chip as in the dual-core Motorola Atrix and Droid X2, just shrunken down and doubled up. The four big cores are full A15s, which I think is the first time we've seen that (the Krait and Apple A6 are both partial).

Reply to this post

Response to sir pball (Reply #28)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:18 PM

29. You've got a leg up on me with the geek speak. I mean like my i7 6-core is an...

X980 3.33GHz. They keep adding new stuff and I haven't kept up with it. Are the processors of similar capacity or scaled down (in terms of 286, 386, 486, Pentium, etc.)? I really don't know much about the processors they are using in the phones.

Reply to this post

Response to CosmicDustBunny (Reply #29)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 01:32 PM

30. Hmm...where to begin

Phone processors aren't in the same league as "real" chips; their emphasis is on drawing as little power as possible instead of maximizing performance. Probably Pentium-M class, but I don't know for sure and don't have the time right now to look up numbers.

The 8-core version is a 1.8GHz Samsung Exynos 5 chip that puts 4 outdated, underperforming, but very efficient cores alongside 4 bigger, more powerful, more wasteful state-of-the-art cores, like pairing up an Atom laptop chip with an i7. Use the weaker hardware on a routine basis, and use the heavy-duty stuff when needed. Optimizes both power and performance.

The other chip is a 1.9GHz quadcore Qualcomm part; a lot of manufacturers have been shipping these in North America because they include the necessary hardware for our cell networks (not the same as Europe). As far as I can tell it's just a speedier version of the chip already shipping in the HTC One, which would make the US version quite a bit weaker than the international one.

Reply to this post

Response to sir pball (Reply #30)

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 02:10 PM

31. Oh. Well that makes sense. I was wondering about the power drain.

I remember when the Amiga came out (first true multi-tasking desktop) and the CEO of IBM said there was absolutely no use for multi-tasking on a home computer. I suspect he said that because IBM was so far behind in hardware at the time. Bill Gates dismissed a multi-tasking operating system as "useless". Oh, my, things change. The Amiga had multiple processors on the same bus from the very start. It took a while for other companies to adopt multiple processors and even longer for the CPU manufacturers to embed them in the same chip. Sometimes all you need is a 6502 to do the job at time and other times you need a mainframe.

Your explanation makes a lot of sense. Use the low-drain cores first and pump up to the higher drain cores when necessary. I just haven't kept up on the specific models of chips and their capabilities and speeds. This almost 5-year old laptop has a sticker on it that says "AMD Turion64". I know AMD is a company and I know 64 indicates the bits, but I'll be damned if I know what the significance of the name Turion is.

"Pentium" basically was a cool name for 586. After that, I sort of lost track of what the names meant, if anything. I'm old school. I prefer model numbers the same way I prefer displacement numbers on car engines. I don't care what you call it, what's the damn lineage and current capacity? But hey, that's marketing for you. Give it a cool name and people think "shiney!"

Reply to this post

Fri Mar 15, 2013, 12:19 PM

21. Either headline is wrong or wrong article posted. nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread