HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » US Senate confirms judici...

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:35 PM

US Senate confirms judicial nominee and first Alaskan woman to serve on the 9th Circuit

Judge Morgan Christen, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
49 Years Old

US Senate confirms judicial nominee
(12-15) 14:01 PST Anchorage, Alaska (AP) --
The U.S. Senate has confirmed an Alaska Supreme Court justice to fill a vacancy on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

Senators voted 95-3 Thursday to confirm the nomination of Morgan Christen, who becomes the first Alaska woman to serve on the 9th Circuit.

U.S. Democratic Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska recommended Christen to President Obama for the opening created by the retirement last year of Judge Andrew Kleinfeld of Fairbanks.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/15/state/n140136S79.DTL#ixzz1geVbYiMg

U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 112th Congress - 1st Session...
Question: On the Nomination (Confirmation Morgan Christen, of Alaska, to be U.S. Circuit Judge )
Vote Number: 231 Vote Date: December 15, 2011, 04:32 PM
Required For Majority: 1/2 Vote Result: Nomination Confirmed...
Vote Counts:

YEAs 95
NAYs 3 (DeMint, Paul, Vitter)
Not Voting 2
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=112&session=1&vote=00231#position

6 replies, 2309 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply US Senate confirms judicial nominee and first Alaskan woman to serve on the 9th Circuit (Original post)
usregimechange Dec 2011 OP
annabanana Dec 2011 #1
demosincebirth Dec 2011 #2
usregimechange Dec 2011 #3
Blue_In_AK Dec 2011 #4
bluestate10 Dec 2011 #5
Blue_In_AK Dec 2011 #6

Response to usregimechange (Original post)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:37 PM

1. How the hell did they let this slip through the eternal filibuster?

And why can't we do it more often?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to annabanana (Reply #1)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:44 PM

2. Must be something we don't know about her. I have apprehension

Reply to this post

Response to demosincebirth (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 08:49 PM

3. I checked her out quite a bit, I think she will be a good one and around a good while

Reply to this post

Response to demosincebirth (Reply #2)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 09:05 PM

4. Morgan's a good one.

She nearly drove the Palinbots bonkers when Sarah picked her for our Supreme Court (one of the few good things she did) because Morgan is pro-choice. She was a good lawyer, a good Superior Court judge and a good Supreme Court justice. I don't think you need to fear.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_In_AK (Reply #4)

Thu Dec 15, 2011, 09:22 PM

5. She is reasonably young to. Should be around for a while. nt

Reply to this post

Response to usregimechange (Original post)

Fri Dec 16, 2011, 01:54 PM

6. Here is a little more background on Morgan Christen from the Anchorage Daily News

http://www.adn.com/2011/12/15/2219763/senate-confirms-alaska-judge-to.html

<snip>

U.S. Democratic Sen. Mark Begich of Alaska recommended Christen to President Obama for the opening created when Judge Andrew Kleinfeld of Fairbanks took senior status, an alternative to retirement that allows judge to maintain an office and handle at least 25 percent of an active judge's caseload. "She is one of the greatest legal minds and one of the most caring individuals Alaska has to offer," Begich said of Christen on the Senate floor before the vote. "I am honored to support her for this position and to count her as a friend."

Christen also had the support of Republican Sen. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska. Before the vote, Murkowski praised Christen as an experienced, well-rounded lawyer and jurist.

"She is an individual with a keen intellect and an impeccable reputation for integrity," Murkowski said. "She is highly regarded across the ideological spectrum in Alaska as a judge who keeps politics and ideology off the bench."

<snip>

Read more: http://www.adn.com/2011/12/15/2219763/senate-confirms-alaska-judge-to.html#ixzz1gimnKZNn

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread