HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » US pilot shot down four S...

Tue Jan 24, 2023, 07:52 PM

US pilot shot down four Soviet MiGs in 30 minutes - and kept it a secret for 50 years

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/20/asia/korean-war-fighter-pilot-soviet-shootdown-intl-hnk-ml/index.html
Mission was immediately classified.

On a cold November day in 1952, Williams shot down four Soviet fighter jets – and became a legend no one would hear about for more than 50 years.

What ensued was more than a half-hour of aerial combat, with Williams constantly turning and weaving – the one area where the F9F could compete with the Soviet aircraft – to not let the superior MiGs get their guns fixed on him.

“Following the battle, Williams was personally interviewed by several high-ranking Navy admirals, the Secretary of Defense, and also the President, after which he was instructed to not talk about his engagement as officials feared the incident might cause a devastating increase of tensions between the US and Soviet Union, and possibly ignite World War Three,” the website says.

The records of Williams’ dogfight were promptly classified by US officials and he was sworn to secrecy, meaning it would take more than five decades before his victories could be fully recognized.

The records were declassified in 2002, and the first person he told was HIS WIFE!

December last year, Navy Secretary Del Toro upgraded his Silver Star to a Navy Cross.

5 replies, 1137 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply US pilot shot down four Soviet MiGs in 30 minutes - and kept it a secret for 50 years (Original post)
usonian Tuesday OP
Woodwizard Tuesday #1
crickets Tuesday #2
summer_in_TX Tuesday #3
usonian Tuesday #4
summer_in_TX Tuesday #5

Response to usonian (Original post)

Tue Jan 24, 2023, 08:02 PM

1. Wow

What an achievement, I wonder how history may have went if he and his wingman had been shot down.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 24, 2023, 09:48 PM

2. Amazing. Good on him; it's incredible that he survived. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 24, 2023, 10:08 PM

3. Amazing story!

But in the course of reading the whole thing I learned that Darrell Issa was elected to Congress again. He's quoted.

Ugh.

Reply to this post

Response to summer_in_TX (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 24, 2023, 11:02 PM

4. It ain't easy to get rid of creeps in red parts of CA.

On the way to the post office, I avoid the short road between the gun store and the moron with the T***p boat in his yard. I need to spend some time with college students on GOTV. Demographics are looking muy bien.

Reply to this post

Response to usonian (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 24, 2023, 11:08 PM

5. Ah, demographics!

Good to know and keep up the good work!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread