HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Santos getting icy recept...

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:28 AM

Santos getting icy reception from House GOP

Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.) is getting an icy reception from colleagues in the House GOP even as he receives committee assignments and continues to serve his constituents on Long Island.

Rep. James Comer (R-Ky.) calls him a “bad guy;” Rep. Michael McCaul (R-Texas) describes him as an “imposter.” A handful of other House Republicans have called on him to resign, making it clear they are less than ecstatic to have him as a colleague.

Through the hostility, Santos is insisting he can still be an effective member of Congress, adding his name to co-sponsor legislation and posting that he visited a Hindu temple in his district. But in an institution built on relationships, the sizable scandals could close many avenues to legislative success.

“It’s their prerogative,” Santos told Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) on former Trump administration adviser Steve Bannon’s “War Room” podcast last week when asked about calls for him to resign.

“I came here to serve the people, not politicians and party leaders, and I’m gonna do just that, and I’ve been doing just that throughout this entire first two weeks — whether it was voting for the Speaker or whether it’s been the last week where we’ve been working on legislation in my office.”

Measures that Santos has co-sponsored include a bill to impose term limits for members of Congress and a resolution to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas. He said his office is also working on constituent matters like securing White House tour tickets and hoping to find a way that federal authorities can address carjackings in his district.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3820324-santos-getting-icy-reception-from-house-gop/

11 replies, 861 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to RandySF (Original post)

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:35 AM

1. ...and the addition of his visage to Mt. Rushmore

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:38 AM

2. George Santos aka Tony Devolder aka Kitara Ravache is nothing more than a Russian paid for ....

... chaos agent.

"Hoping to find a way that federal authorities can address carjackings in his district."

Reply to this post

Response to Botany (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:41 AM

4. Would I Lie To You? Oh, yeah.

Last edited Fri Jan 20, 2023, 08:34 PM - Edit history (1)

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:40 AM

3. No, really! They think he's hurting their image! n/t

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:47 AM

5. as they drive him further into the arms of the nutjob right wing

he supported mccarthy for speaker...would he do that again?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:49 AM

6. could you imagine being assigned as staff to him?

All house members get a staff. I assume one is assigned to new members since they won't have had time to hire experienced people.

What a crappy job. How do you even come to work knowing you have to listen to this guys lies and whims all day long?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 10:50 AM

7. Shape shifting enigma Santos (??)

is impervious to shame or self reflection..MAGA congress-creatures, referring to one of their own as a "bad guy, an "imposter" while they embrace his one vote, is both ironic and telling..he is they and they are he...

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 11:55 AM

8. He's just grifting for his taxpayer-funded pension and health care.

Fuck him.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 11:58 AM

9. Guess today won't help much. MSNBC just aired a picture of Santos or whatever his name is in drag.

Wonder if he reads stories??

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 12:05 PM

10. The GOP leadership will protect him.

At least seven House Republicans have called on Santos to resign, five of whom are first-term lawmakers representing New York. One name notably missing from that list is Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who has stopped short of calling on the congressman to step down despite his growing list of fabrications. House Republican Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik, the highest-ranking Republican in the New York delegation, has also declined to call on Santos to resign.

Last week, McCarthy said Santos deserved the opportunity to serve because he was elected by constituents of New York’s 3rd Congressional District.

“It’s the voters who made that decision. He has to answer to the voters and the voters to make another decision in two years,” McCarthy said, adding that “he will continue to serve.”

Comer, the chairman of the House Oversight and Accountability Committee, and McCaul, chairman of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, have echoed that sentiment even as they have lambasted Santos.

“Certainly, I don’t approve of how he made his way to Congress. And I haven’t even introduced myself to him, because it’s pretty despicable, the lies that he told,” Comer said on CNN’s “State of the Union” on Sunday. “But, at the end of the day, it’s not up to me or any other member of Congress to determine whether he could be kicked out for lying. Now, if he broke campaign finance laws, then he will be removed from Congress.”

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 20, 2023, 12:08 PM

11. My guess: for the next couple years

he'l be treated by his peers in the GOP like the Embarrassing Drunken Uncle at Thanksgiving; "keep him in a corner, away from mainstream media, don't let him speak aloud unless he has to, and wait until we can replace him (quietly, though!) as the next term approaches.

But maybe the GOP will surprise me (again) and elevate idiocy to unparalleled new heights of leadership, it is the party who thought trump was the best the nation had to offer them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread