HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Houston under boil-water ...

Mon Nov 28, 2022, 12:52 PM

Houston under boil-water order, schools to close after system failure

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/11/28/houston-water-failure/?utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social

The country’s fourth-largest city ordered millions of residents Sunday night to boil their tap water, citing a morning power outage at a city water purification plant.

The city’s school system also announced late Sunday that it would be closed Monday, at a minimum, as officials “closely monitor the situation.” The district’s 276 schools serve nearly 200,000 students. Other smaller school districts in the area also announced closures.

The 10:30 a.m. outage caused water pressure at the plant to drop below required levels. That caused water pressure problems for some residents that were resolved later in the day, public works officials said in a statement.

More broadly, however, the outage called into question the safety of water for 2.2 million customers. Houston’s order Sunday night directed residents to boil all water used for food, drinking, bathing or tooth brushing and to avoid using water from refrigerators or ice makers.

5 replies, 543 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Houston under boil-water order, schools to close after system failure (Original post)
LetMyPeopleVote Nov 28 OP
Hugh_Lebowski Nov 28 #1
TexasBushwhacker Nov 28 #2
Ocelot II Nov 28 #3
Nictuku Nov 28 #4
LetMyPeopleVote Nov 28 #5

Response to LetMyPeopleVote (Original post)

Mon Nov 28, 2022, 01:00 PM

1. For BATHING? Lol, like that's gonna happen ...

Way to go TEXAS!

FREEDOM!!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Nov 28, 2022, 01:07 PM

2. TERRIBLE job of notifying

I know I've gotten notices about power outages. I get Amber Alerts for kids who were abducted hundreds of miles away. The only reason I heard about it was because a friend sent me a text with info from a local TV station.

I showered in it, but didn't wash my face or hair so none of the water would get in my mouth.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 28, 2022, 01:17 PM

3. Doesn't *anything* work in Texas?

Besides guns, of course.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 28, 2022, 02:42 PM

4. And they Re-Elected their Governor. Go Figure.

Reply to this post

Mon Nov 28, 2022, 04:23 PM

5. Coffee lovers... bad news this morning,

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread