HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The use of genocidal rhet...

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:15 PM

The use of genocidal rhetoric on national television

Tweet text:

Kat Abu

@abughazalehkat
·
Follow
Tucker Carlson guest: Shootings like the Club Q shooting are going to keep happening "until we end this evil agenda" of gender-affirming care.

Watch on Twitter
6:21 PM · Nov 22, 2022

Genocide rhetoric

https://religiondispatches.org/marjorie-taylor-greenes-genocide-rhetoric-creates-a-permission-structure-for-the-right-but-permission-to-do-what/

Even for her, it was a chilling statement. “We’re all targets now though, for daring to push back against the regime,” Marjorie Taylor Greene claimed at a Trump rally in Michigan last Saturday. This is not the first time she and other right-wing Republicans and media figures have railed against what they call “the regime”—the democratically elected US government. But, while this is familiar territory for Greene, this time she escalated her rhetoric. The Georgia Republican, who refers to those convicted for their role in the insurrection as “political prisoners,” declared:

“I’m not going to mince words with you all. Democrats want Republicans dead. And they have already started the killings.”

This is a startling escalation—even for Marjorie Taylor Greene. It’s also a bold-faced lie: The example she proceeded to give of a teenager killed, “because he was a Republican,” referred to a hit-and-run that had—as the local police department and even Fox News report—nothing to do with politics. Greene also claims that “even last week an 83-year-old woman was shot in the back for advocating for the unborn.”

The implication here seems to be that the woman was killed. Again, however, Greene is egregiously misrepresenting the facts: An 84-year-old woman got into a heated argument while campaigning against abortion with the wife of the man who, according to his own testimony, accidentally shot her while trying to move her clipboard away with the butt of his rifle. She was hit in the shoulder and drove herself to the hospital where she received treatment. The man is facing charges for felonious assault. Greene—whether out of ignorance or a lack of concern for the facts—misconstrued these two incidents as “killings” of Republicans, ordered by Democratic officials.

Many articles have been written about how much of Republican warnings of an authoritarian state seem to be projection. But Greene’s claims go one step further than that. What she employs here is referred to by scholars of genocide as an “accusation in a mirror”—a tactic that’s been used by genocidal movements or parties for decades as preparation for the commission of unspeakable atrocities.

*snip*

10 replies, 711 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply The use of genocidal rhetoric on national television (Original post)
Nevilledog Nov 22 OP
Solly Mack Nov 22 #1
Nevilledog Nov 22 #3
Solly Mack Nov 22 #4
Initech Nov 22 #2
Maraya1969 Nov 22 #5
Johnny2X2X Nov 22 #6
Initech Nov 22 #7
tulipsandroses Nov 22 #8
vercetti2021 Nov 22 #9
Hermit-The-Prog Nov 23 #10

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:32 PM

1. Blaming the victims

We don't like you. We'll tell horrible lies about you. We'll rile people up against you. We'll tell people you need to die. When something bad happens to you, it's your own fault for being people we don't like.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Solly Mack (Reply #1)

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:44 PM

3. And the only way you can stop the killing is by stopping something that isn't a real thing.

Reply to this post

Response to Nevilledog (Reply #3)

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:46 PM

4. Yep

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:42 PM

2. Fox is mad they don't have their plaything in the White House anymore.

So they're going full genocidal manaic with Tucker Carlson and some dipshit lunatic conspiracy theorist on Twitter. Scary times we live in right now. When do we start calling out Fox for their increasingly violent rhetoric?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:51 PM

5. I remember in the very early 80's going on a cruise with my parents and

one of the nightly entertainment was a hysterical drag comedian. I am very sure that they would not hire anyone like that at this time. It's sad.

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:55 PM

6. This is insane

Tucker basically saying. “Yeah, I told them to kill uou and they’re going to keep killing you until you stop being you.”

This is probably the worst thing ever in his show. And that’s saying a ton.

And his banner again implies LGTBQ people are pedophiles.

Reply to this post

Response to Johnny2X2X (Reply #6)

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 10:58 PM

7. And now Tucker is like "What? I didn't say that! Name one place where I said that!"

Seriously, fuck this asshole and fuck Fox News. Where are the advertisers? Why hasn't Fox lost any sponsors over this shit?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 11:22 PM

8. These people are disgusting

How about talking about the child rapists in the Republican gang?

Reply to this post

Tue Nov 22, 2022, 11:33 PM

9. We aren't grooming your fucking kids

That's yall wanting to groom them into freak religion, gun culture, young child wives for creepy ass old men, groom girls to be child parents. Fuck you Tucker. I wish your mom had you aborted you nazi shitstain.

But bring it motherfuckers! I hope I see on the news. Trans woman defends herself against hate crime. I wanna see that from now on. LGBTQ people like myself in the news defending ourselves from these freaks

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 23, 2022, 04:43 AM

10. Greene wants fascism by any means necessary and is advocating for Kristallnacht.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread