HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 3 Common Myths About Recr...

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 03:53 PM

3 Common Myths About Recreational Marijuana

Myth #1. Marijuana is not harmful to your mental health
Myth #2. Marijuana cures anxiety
Myth #3. Marijuana makes you creative

More on each-

https://www.forbes.com/sites/traversmark/2022/11/05/a-psychologist-busts-3-common-myths-about-recreational-marijuana/?sh=45183b5029d3

Short version:

The cannabis industry is young. As a consequence, people (and the media) often take extreme positions on the pros and cons of marijuana use. What you need to realize is that marijuana, like alcohol, is just another recreational drug. In low doses, it can be viewed as a medicine or pain reliever. Its legality is not a guarantee for its safety. While it certainly has its place in society and medicine, marijuana is not a cure for all your problems. It is imperative that you think for yourself and be responsible with your indulgence.

31 replies, 958 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 31 replies Author Time Post
Reply 3 Common Myths About Recreational Marijuana (Original post)
packman Nov 9 OP
Elessar Zappa Nov 9 #1
democratsruletheday Nov 9 #5
Ms. Toad Nov 9 #2
LakeArenal Nov 9 #3
iemanja Nov 9 #20
maxsolomon Nov 9 #4
Askov_Finlyson Nov 9 #6
WhiskeyGrinder Nov 9 #7
Doc Sportello Nov 9 #8
Mariana Nov 9 #21
WhiskeyGrinder Nov 9 #9
usedtobedemgurl Nov 9 #10
Deep State Witch Nov 9 #12
JenniferJuniper Nov 9 #13
FreeState Nov 9 #22
usedtobedemgurl Nov 9 #18
usedtobedemgurl Nov 9 #19
Kennah Nov 9 #11
AntivaxHunters Nov 9 #14
ProfessorGAC Nov 9 #15
obamanut2012 Nov 9 #16
Calculating Nov 9 #17
leftyladyfrommo Nov 9 #23
packman Nov 9 #27
eShirl Nov 9 #24
BannonsLiver Nov 9 #25
Chainfire Nov 9 #26
Sympthsical Nov 9 #28
Withywindle Nov 9 #29
Act_of_Reparation Nov 9 #30
zuul Nov 9 #31

Response to packman (Original post)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 03:55 PM

1. Well, it's helped me in many ways,

including reducing my anxiety and depression which means it hasnt hurt my mental health.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Elessar Zappa (Reply #1)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:05 PM

5. man...complex issue IMO

In a nutshell, I'm 53 years old and smoked my first joint at 13...absolutely loved everything about Cannabis for many years thereafter but also had a raging issue with manic depression. My on again, off again use of it would continue for decades until I finally realized it made my anxiety issues so much worse. Could be the strain I was using (partial to Indicas BTW) but the bottom line is once I got on strong meds for my mental health issues then I absolutely realized I couldn't mix the two.

My take: it's not for everyone but it does help some folks which is why I voted to legalize it here in Michigan. Last thing I'll say: I've always had pretty positive experiences with it but specifically remember almost hitting a little girl in the street when I was about 17. Enjoy folks but it's just like alcohol folks...please don't medicate and drive.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:01 PM

2. Myth #4. Marijuana is legal anywhere in the US.

Federal law supersedes state law on this issue, and marijuana is illegal - even for medicinal use - under federal law because it is classified as a Schedule 1 drug: high potential for dependency with no recognized medical use.

Whether you agree with that classification or not, there is no guarantee that you are safe from prosecution simply because the Feds are currently choosing not to make prosecution a priority. This should be a concern especially for anyone who holds a license which requires some flavor of good moral character, check as to criminal activity, or drug screening.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:02 PM

3. I never heard anyone claim cannabis "cures" anything.

It alleviates.

Reply to this post

Response to LakeArenal (Reply #3)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:34 PM

20. My mom has a friend who insists pot will cure my mom's cancer

Pot instead of cancer therapies. My mom ignores her.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:05 PM

4. OK, Forbes.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:07 PM

6. Sounds like alcohol. N/T

Reply to this post

Response to Askov_Finlyson (Reply #6)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:08 PM

7. Love your screen name but I'm suspicious about your avatar.

Welcome to DU.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:09 PM

8. Patronizing and inaccurate

Saying cannabis and alcohol are comparable as "just another recreational drug" shows a complete misunderstanding or simple ignorance on the subject. Sorry, I don't take unsolicited advice from people who are uninformed on a subject.

Reply to this post

Response to Doc Sportello (Reply #8)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:37 PM

21. "...shows a complete misunderstanding or simple ignorance on the subject."

It's just as likely to be intentional disinformation.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:10 PM

9. Psychologist who runs video psychotherapy business says pot won't help anxiety or mental health?

Huh.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:13 PM

10. I do edibles....

delta 8, to be exact. I was in a pretty bad car accident. I have whiplash, a concussion, TBI (traumatic brain injury), severe PTSD and anxiety.

About eight or so months of doctors refusing to do anything for pain, besides telling me to take Motrin, my son suggested Delta 8, for the pain. When you are living with unrelenting pain, 24/7 for 8 months, you will try anything.

My non-stop pain was giving me suicidal ideation. I had so much anxiety, I was peeling skin from my fingers, until they bled. Things were very dark for me. My skin peeling cut back, after Delta 8. I cried (from pain and mental anguish), but Delta took care of that. I could feel my pain, but I did not mind as much.

I decided to cut back on it for one week. This was after a few months of taking it. I did not want it to be a crutch, if I did not need it. When my speech therapist (for memory loss, from the accident). Saw how much pain I was in, how much stuttering from anxiety came back and how I was crying from pain, in real time, during our session, she basically ordered me back on it. She told me I needed it. I knew I did because within 24 hours of the break, I remembered why I had had suicidal ideations. The insistent pain was just that bad. I went back on it.

A doctor told me to go back on it. Do I spend more than I want each month? Yes! Considering I cannot work, due to all my symptoms, it feels too much, but how much is my life and sanity worth? Those of us with true chronic pain are the victims in the opioid war. I think I would give one of my fingers, just to get a 30-60 day supply of Vicodin every year. Hell, even year and a half.

I have the multiple MRIs, an x-ray, a sleep study where they said I used an entire box of tissues from crying from pain the entire night, over 13 different professionals, from eye doctors to a PTSD therapist and a couple of hundred dollars in receipts, from all the heating patches (lidocaine/icy hot and capsacian) I have used to try and keep finding an answer to all my accident problems. There is no shortage of information doctors can look at to see how deeply I am affected.

Delta 8 edibles has been a life saver. I had never heard of Delta 8, until my son brought it up. My son only suggested it for pain. I had no idea it would have a positive affect on my anxiety, but it did. Someone can state the contrary all they want, but I may only be here because I started doing it.

Reply to this post

Response to usedtobedemgurl (Reply #10)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:51 PM

12. Never Heard of Delta 8

My husband has been dealing with vestibular problems, and it's triggered PTSD from when he was abused as a child. He has trouble sleeping - always has. I convinced him to try CBD tincture and edibles, although it's hard to find products that are sugar free. He is getting good results from it.

What is Delta 8? Now that MJ is going to be legal in Maryland, maybe it might work for him too?

Reply to this post

Response to Deep State Witch (Reply #12)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:02 PM

13. Delta 8 edibles are much less potent

and you can buy them in some states where you still can't purchase cannabis including Maryland.

I use regular 5 mg THC gummies as a sleep aid. God send.

Reply to this post

Response to JenniferJuniper (Reply #13)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:39 PM

22. This is not always true (Especially in CA)

For example I can buy a candy with Delta8 and THC here in San Diego. The county has a no more than 100mg of THC in a package. The candy with the Delta 8 is... 1000mg (100 THC/900 Delta8). These things mess me up beyond belief - and I have a very high tolerance (daily smoker and eatables for years).

Delta8 is not regulated at all here and they can put as much in as they want. It's a disaster waiting to happen in my opinion.

Also (edit to add):

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/5-things-know-about-delta-8-tetrahydrocannabinol-delta-8-thc

1. Delta-8 THC products have not been evaluated or approved by the FDA for safe use and may be marketed in ways that put the public health at risk.
2. The FDA has received adverse event reports involving delta-8 THC-containing products.
3. Delta-8 THC has psychoactive and intoxicating effects.
4. Delta-8 THC products often involve use of potentially harmful chemicals to create the concentrations of delta-8 THC claimed in the marketplace.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:31 PM

18. I will add on to the info someone else posted....

As I understand it, it is a THC derivative from mj. It is milder than Delta 9, which, from reading, can produce feelings of anxiety and paranoia.

I do a mix of drops and edibles. (I fluctuate between a chocolate bar, rice Krispie treats and caramels - sorry, none of which are sugar free, but maybe the drops are?).

I have been using it for months now and am still a little wonky on how much to use. The other night I did not feel I could get off the sofa, I was so high, but I also had been in immense pain!

It has been a while, but when I researched Delta 8, I also came across hemp infused drinks. I tried a few, and this is the interesting part - I truly believe those are sugar-free. The one I really liked is at Amazon. Kona Gold candy apple flavor. The price is not bad, compared to some health stores around here.

If you want to look at the edibles/drops, the cheapest place I found was what my son recommended : www.cannaclear.com. You can find pretty expensive Delta 8 on Etsy! Canna clear is where you first want to go.

I hope that helps you and your hubby. Please send a dm, if you need anything.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 04:13 PM

11. What does Forbes say about trickle down?

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:02 PM

14. lmao what the hell is this?

What year is it again? Can someone remind me?

Meanwhile here in the 303....

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:05 PM

15. Rejected

I question the quality of the science, and it reads like it was written before the data was acquired.
Easy to find data to fit preconceived conclusions.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:13 PM

16. lololol outdated Reefer Madness BS and misinformation

Just stoooopppppppppp.

It's like something RJR, Big Liquor, or Big Pharma would post.

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #16)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:17 PM

17. Seriously lol

It's time for federal legalization at this point.

Reply to this post

23. It msy not cure anything but it's nice to be able to

just get stoned once in a while and let the day's troubles go

Reply to this post

Response to leftyladyfrommo (Reply #23)

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:55 PM

27. Yah -

Had my first experience late in my declining years and DAMN IT - it felt good. Very relaxed , laffing at stupid jokes "Sire, the peasants are revolting", and being out of my so-called "normal" self (reserved and formal).

Into edibles now every once in a while.

Reply to this post

24. thanks mom

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:40 PM

25. It's always 1987 at Forbes

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 05:52 PM

26. Ah, the weed with roots in hell!

If it makes people feel better, I am all for it. When I was young I smoked enough pot to fill a semi trailer but stopped when I had kids.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 06:03 PM

28. I get annoyed when people talk at great length and obsession about pot

And my first response is, "Can you imagine if people talked about alcohol this much? We'd be calling everyone an alcoholic."

And then I remember.

I live next to Napa.

So, nevermind I suppose.

But seriously, I have a few friends who talk about it constantly and always need to be stoned for this or that thing. I will break plans if they're high, because it's not nearly as entertaining to be around them as they seem to think it is. It comes up in like every other conversation for some reason.

How a drug becomes a whole lifestyle thing always strikes me as strange.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 06:22 PM

29. It's not like this is some new experimental drug that nobody's ever tried before

The legal cannabis industry itself is young. Cannabis use itself certainly is not. This board is full of old hippies who've been running "experiments" on themselves for decades, so this lecture is kind of patronizing to people who have a ton of real-life experience with it over a really long time.

If it weren't proven to actually help alleviate certain conditions, particularly chronic pain and some depression and anxiety and PTSD conditions, it wouldn't have been available as a prescription medicine for those conditions for many years (first state was California in 1996, almost a quarter century ago). It was recommended for side effects of cancer, HIV, glaucoma, etc. And it caught on because it works, and in moderation is not particularly dangerous. In fact, it was the widespread use of it as medicine that helped NORMLize it to people who would never do illegal drugs, and spread the word that it's not scary Reefer Madness shit.

Is it bad for you in excess? Sure. So is aspirin.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 06:26 PM

30. Myth #5:

Sanctimonious strangers are highly esteemed by modern society.

Reply to this post

Wed Nov 9, 2022, 06:37 PM

31. Thank you for listing the 3 myths in your post.

The title for so many OPs on DU are X number of whatever the topic is but then the list doesnt get included in the 4 paragraphs allowed under DU rules. So you have to go to the website and hunt for the list. Frustrating!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread