HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » During the 1994 Rwandan g...

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 11:58 AM

During the 1994 Rwandan genocide, hate radio played a huge part in getting

ordinary citizens to kill their neighbors.

Anti-Tutsi articles and graphic cartoons began appearing in the Kangura newspaper from around 1990.
In June 1993 a new radio station called Radio-Television Libre des Mille Collines (RTLMC) began broadcasting in Rwanda…

The station was rowdy and used street language - there were disc jockeys, pop music and phone-ins. Sometimes the announcers were drunk. It was designed to appeal to the unemployed, the delinquents and the gangs of thugs in the militia. “In a largely illiterate population, the radio station soon had a very large audience who found it immensely entertaining.” Its stated aim was “to create harmonious development in Rwandese society” but nothing could have been further from the truth. It was set up and financed by Hutu extremists to prepare the people of Rwanda for genocide by demonising the Tutsi and encouraging hate and violence.

Some people - including the Belgian ambassador and staff of several aid agencies - recognised the danger and asked for international help in shutting down the broadcasts, but it was impossible to persuade western diplomats to take it seriously. They dismissed the station as a joke. David Rawson, the US ambassador, said that its euphemisms were open to interpretation. The US, he said, believed in freedom of speech. The radio told people to go to work and everyone knew that meant get your machete and kill Tutsis.

Many Rwandans, however, knew the threat. ‘I listened to RTLMC’, said a survivor, ‘because if you were mentioned over the airways, you were sure to be carted off a short time later by the interahamwe. You knew you had to change your address at once.”

http://www.rwandanstories.org/genocide/hate_radio.html

In the US we not only have hate radio, but lots of hate on social media. The right is demonizing all of us. They are loaded with weapons.

13 replies, 603 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply During the 1994 Rwandan genocide, hate radio played a huge part in getting (Original post)
milestogo Oct 30 OP
Celerity Oct 30 #1
cilla4progress Oct 30 #2
CharleyDog Oct 30 #3
milestogo Oct 30 #4
CharleyDog Oct 30 #11
milestogo Oct 30 #13
Scrivener7 Oct 30 #5
2naSalit Oct 30 #6
electric_blue68 Oct 30 #7
Hermit-The-Prog Oct 30 #8
milestogo Oct 30 #10
CharleyDog Oct 30 #12
likesmountains 52 Oct 30 #9

Response to milestogo (Original post)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 12:00 PM

1. K & R

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 12:09 PM

2. Could not agree more!

And it was ultimately "love" radio that helped bring them back.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/19/603844651/rwandan-reconciliation-through-radio-soap-opera

Snip:

Rwandan Reconciliation Through Radio Soap Opera

STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:

The Rwandan genocide took place 24 years ago. As many as a million people died. Years later, Rwandan writers, led by a Dutch NGO, launched a project to encourage reconciliation through a radio soap opera. The show is still going strong, and it reveals something universal about human behavior. Here's NPR's Shankar Vedantam.

SHANKAR VEDANTAM, BYLINE: In 1994, a radio station in Rwanda began transmitting urgent messages to the population of 7 million - sharpen your machetes; it's time to kill your neighbors.

(SOUNDBITE OF RADIO STATIC)

VEDANTAM: Very few recordings of these broadcasts exist today. Here's one.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

UNIDENTIFIED PERSON: (Through interpreter) Rwanda belongs to those who will truly defend it. And you, the cockroaches, are not Rwandans. The cockroaches will not escape.

VEDANTAM: The Rwandan government, dominated by the Hutu ethnic group, was in the process of dehumanizing the Tutsi group. One study calculated that hate radio had convinced an additional 50,000 people to murder their neighbors.

(SOUNDBITE OF MUSIC)

ANDRE MUSAGARA: I was 29. I had to move by night, you know, fleeing through bushes and whatever.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 12:14 PM

3. yes. The Tutsis were murdered by their neighbors, friends, husbands

And not just in one day of explosive violence, no, but daily hunting down their neighbors and killing. Sometimes with great
suffering, cutting off pieces of a person every day, one arm, then one leg and so on. This done to old women, babies, children, all women were raped, then murdered. This went on for a month, systemic, up-close personal stabbing, slicing, daily killing, then ransacking their homes, killing the cattle, burning everything. I mean, there was no distancing, as with a gun. This was your neighbor coming over cutting off your mother's leg, then coming back the next day to cut off the other one, then one arm, no arms, still alive and suffering. Unimaginable. Unthinkable.

All programmed to kill by brainwashing, led by politics, driven by looting, rape, joy of torture --by NORMAL people to their neighbors.

I say "normal" with great wonder, yet they can't all be mentally ill. I bring this up because another thread was discussing Pelosi's attack by a mentally ill man.

Reply to this post

Response to CharleyDog (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 12:23 PM

4. And while Canadian Lt General Romeo Dallaire begged for help, he was mostly refused.

I read his book, "Shake Hands with the Devil". Until then I thought that this was a terrible event nobody could have stopped. But he had a plan to stop it - if only he had been provided a sufficient number of troops by the UN or the US. He was not. This could have been stopped along the way, but the world largely ignored what was happening.

Reply to this post

Response to milestogo (Reply #4)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 03:17 PM

11. I just read Samantha Power, after seeing her on Rachel Maddow, discussing genocide.

Her book is: A Problem From Hell: America and the Age of Genocide (winner of the Pulitzer). Her premise is America ignores genocide: basically we don't want to get involved for various political reasons (Cambodia, Iraq, Bosnia, Rqanda, Srbrenica, Kosovo.)

I'm so glad we're supporting Ukraine, I hope we continue, or even, help MORE.

Reply to this post

Response to CharleyDog (Reply #11)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 03:36 PM

13. We ignored the genocide in Rwanda because of the debacle in Somalia the previous year.

One had nothing to do with the other, really. 19 American troops were lost there.

A year later an American official said one American life is worth 80,000 African lives. For all the preaching we do about human rights, talk is cheap.

Reply to this post

Response to CharleyDog (Reply #3)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 12:37 PM

5. Same in Liberia and Sierra Leone under Charles Taylor.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 01:34 PM

6. And gunz!

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 01:45 PM

7. Oh, I remember that, and hearing about the radio's effect! 😔

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 03:03 PM

8. We also have the demonizers on Fox & Fiends.

Reply to this post

Response to Hermit-The-Prog (Reply #8)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 03:09 PM

10. And we, the demon Democrats, are Pedophiles or baby-killers.

Reply to this post

Response to milestogo (Reply #10)

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 03:21 PM

12. we're even worse: they have to save America from us.

Save America is their battle cry, and a reason to go to war.

Always the projection with them, always the deflection of what they're doing, which is dismantling democracy.

Reply to this post

Sun Oct 30, 2022, 03:06 PM

9. This book discusses that in detail.

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be killed With Our Families

And, it's a great book.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread