HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Deepening Mystery of ...

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 06:59 PM

The Deepening Mystery of Kyrsten Sinema

The Arizona senator effectively leverages her power, but her ends are unclear.

https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2022/08/the-deepening-mystery-of-kyrsten-sinema/671066/

https://archive.ph/qq0PC

Senator Kyrsten Sinema of Arizona said that she’ll sign on to the Democrats’ climate bill—after advocating for a few adjustments that she apparently didn’t care to explain to anyone.

Enigma Wrapped in a Loophole

Democrats were relieved last week when Senator Joe Manchin and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer announced that they had reached a deal on sweeping climate legislation. But that relief lasted only about a minute, because pretty soon, there was a holdup: Sinema wasn’t so sure about the bill. Reports told us that it had something to do with getting rid of the carried-interest loophole, which allows hedge-fund managers and others to pay a lower tax rate on certain portions of their income. But the Arizona senator didn’t explain why she might not like that provision in the legislation. “Sinema has apparently never uttered the phrase ‘carried interest’ in a public legislative session,” The New York Times reported.

Yesterday, after more negotiating, the Democrats reached a deal: They stripped out that tax provision and one dealing with accelerated depreciation, which will benefit manufacturers. Then they added both a 1 percent tax on stock buybacks and a few billion dollars in drought funding for the Southwest. Sinema said that she was satisfied, which means the Democrats were too. But we’re all still confused. The Democrats’ new legislation might actually be more effective than the original in terms of reducing the deficit, and Sinema could make the case for that. She could tell Americans that this was what she was going for all along. She could talk about wanting to get more dollars for drought relief. But she won’t talk with reporters, and she didn’t say anything like that in her vague statement last night.

The senator’s silence has left commentators to fill in the blanks about her motives. “Sinema wielded her extreme political power to demand a tax break for rich Wall Street bros,” Ezra Levin, from the progressive group Indivisible, tweeted last night. “Every day, Kyrsten Sinema gets up and asks herself a simple but important question: How can I help venture capitalists and wealthy private equity managers pay lower tax rates than everyone else?” Matt Fuller from The Daily Beast posted. Even the conservative pundit Hugh Hewitt, who is no fan of the bill, seemed mystified.

Sinema has long cultivated a strange air of mystery, refusing to explain herself to the press or even to her own voters. She’s been a leading obstacle in basically every element of her party’s agenda. She opposed a minimum-wage hike in the COVID-19 relief bill without really explaining why. And she never laid out her qualms with Build Back Better legislation—even after a constituent confronted her in a bathroom. “She doesn’t seem reachable,” one prominent Arizona Democratic activist who campaigned for Sinema told me this spring. “I don’t understand!” Two other Sinema voters, both political independents, told me in January that they didn’t necessarily mind their senator’s opposition to Build Back Better; they just wish they understood it.

snip

35 replies, 1487 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 35 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Deepening Mystery of Kyrsten Sinema (Original post)
Celerity Friday OP
Sky Jewels Friday #1
TreasonousBastard Friday #2
AZProgressive Friday #4
Celerity Friday #6
brush Friday #8
Demsrule86 Friday #21
Hortensis Saturday #30
jalan48 Friday #3
48656c6c6f20 Friday #5
brush Friday #7
Zeitghost Friday #15
brush Friday #17
Zeitghost Friday #18
FakeNoose Friday #9
Celerity Friday #11
FakeNoose Friday #13
Celerity Friday #14
FakeNoose Friday #19
Celerity Friday #20
NewsCenter28 Saturday #24
question everything Friday #10
PlanetBev Friday #12
Iggo Friday #16
Arazi Saturday #33
Demsrule86 Friday #22
betsuni Saturday #23
honest.abe Saturday #26
betsuni Saturday #27
Bucky Saturday #25
maxrandb Saturday #28
Celerity Saturday #29
Hortensis Saturday #31
TheBlackAdder Saturday #32
In It to Win It Saturday #34
Hotler Saturday #35

Response to Celerity (Original post)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:01 PM

1. I hope she gets her traitorous ass primaried out of the Senate in two years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sky Jewels (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:05 PM

2. Be careful what you wish for.

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #2)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:09 PM

4. She is down by about 40 pts to Rueben Gallego if he decides to run

I hope he does. I can’t wait to vote in that primary.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:16 PM

6. Her incredibly low support amongst AZ Democrats likely dooms her in a general. Gallego will probably

crush her in the primary if/when he runs, and he has a FAR better shot at winning the general, as Sinema will never draw off enough Rethugs and indies to make up the loss of the Dem voters that Sinema has tuned off. Gallego is hardly some fire-breathing lefty (and thus can attract a LOT of indies, and perhaps some non-MAGAt Rethugs), but he also is a FAR more reliable vote for Biden and the rest of our party, thus will energise the AZ Dem voters that Sinema has alienated to an astonishing degree.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:35 PM

8. Meaning what?

Reply to this post

Response to Sky Jewels (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 11:54 PM

21. I don't agree she made a deal...and it wasn't a bad deal. If she had blown up the deal, I would

consider reluctantly that she needed to be primaried...I say reluctantly because incumbent Senators have a better chance of being reelected generally.

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #21)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 07:22 AM

30. But Dems, she hung support for a VERY progressive CLIMATE and TAX-REFORM

bill, with all provisions desperately needed, on protecting a corrupt tax dodge for wealthy people. This when Arizonans are being told several counties may be become effectively uninhabitable before very long.

The OP's article seems to suggest that she had something to do with the bill's progressive tax provisions that will be of real benefit, but she didn't. They were all part of the Democratic package she's been sabotaging.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:06 PM

3. Ends equals $$$

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:10 PM

5. Too much Cinema for me.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:33 PM

7. She's just piling up as much in campaign donations...

as she can (certainly there will be a load coming in from hedge funders after this) because she's definitely getting primaried in '24 and she'll get to keep millions when she loses the primary and becomes a K Steet lobbyist.

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 08:37 PM

15. That is not how it works

You don't get to keep campaign money, win or lose.

Reply to this post

Response to Zeitghost (Reply #15)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 08:49 PM

17. Not directly, but there are ways.

They can do this:

Create a Leadership PAC to back other candidates and a political agenda. Critics say these can be used as slush funds since there are fewer restrictions.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/042716/what-happens-campaign-funds-after-elections.asp

Reply to this post

Response to brush (Reply #17)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 09:39 PM

18. Yes

There are numerous ways to distribute the money to various other entities from charity to other campaigns. But they can't use it for themselves.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:39 PM

9. It's no mystery - she sold her soul to the devil as soon as she got into the Senate

One term Senator. One and done.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #9)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:48 PM

11. Why though, if true? To what ends? I am really trying to understand and not project pure nefarious

motives. I am clinging to a rock that prevents me from going over a waterfall of complete philosophical cynicism.

It's no mystery - she sold her soul to the devil as soon as she got into the Senate

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #11)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:53 PM

13. I couldn't say, but I know that once upon a time she was considered progressive

I believe she even campaigned for Bernie Sanders in her younger years.

I don't live in Arizona, and Kyrsten was never on my radar until after she joined the Senate.
Somewhere out there, somebody knows what happened to her. But it's not me. Sorry!

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #13)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 08:32 PM

14. Long ago I did a write-up of her political history from the beginnings in AZ up to her Senate

win.

She truly underwent a metamorphosis after her first US House win, she went from bomb-tossing lefty in AZ (she was even Green party member in the late 90's and early noughties) to what we see now.

here was one of my write-ups:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215910941#post13

October 1, 2021

She left the Green Party in 2004, when she became a Dem. She was elected to the US House in 2012, & moved to the centre, towards the right, in 2013-14, after she was being attacked in her first re-election race. She was very much a lefty in the Arizona House (2004-2010) and AZ Senate (2012) before that.

In 2006, Sinema told a radio host that she was "the most liberal member of the Arizona State Legislature".

She is an ever-rightward-shifting chameleon and opportunist, with no real base political philosophy IMHO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyrsten_Sinema

Early political involvement

Sinema began her political career in the Arizona Green Party before joining the Arizona Democratic Party in 2004. In 2000, Sinema worked on Ralph Nader's presidential campaign. In 2001 and 2002, she ran for local elected offices as an independent and lost. In 2002, The Arizona Republic published a letter from Sinema criticizing capitalism. "Until the average American realizes that capitalism damages her livelihood while augmenting the livelihoods of the wealthy, the Almighty Dollar will continue to rule", she wrote. She opposed the North American Free Trade Agreement, the World Bank, and the World Trade Organization during this time. She protested Senator Joe Lieberman's unsuccessful 2004 presidential bid, telling the Hartford Courant, "He’s a shame to Democrats ... I don’t even know why he’s running. He seems to want to get Republicans voting for him. What kind of strategy is that?" (OH THE IRONY!)

While in the Green Party, Sinema was its local spokesperson, working to repeal the death penalty and organizing antiwar protests. She had organized 15 antiwar rallies by the time the Iraq War began. She also opposed the war in Afghanistan. During a February 15, 2003, protest in Patriots Square Park in Phoenix, a group led by Sinema distributed flyers portraying a U.S. servicemember as a skeleton "inflicting 'U.S. terror' in Iraq and the Middle East". In a 2003 opinion piece, Sinema declared that Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush were "the real Saddam and Osama lovers". When asked on a local radio show whether she would oppose someone joining the Taliban and fighting on its behalf, Sinema responded, "Fine ... I don't care if you want to do that, go ahead." During 2005 and 2006, Sinema co-hosted a radio show with 9/11 truther Jeff Farias.

snip

2014 (the rightward big move)

Sinema ran for re-election in 2014, and was unopposed in the Democratic primary, which took place on August 26, 2014. She faced Republican Wendy Rogers in the general election.

According to Roll Call, Sinema billed herself as bipartisan. This move was seen as a response to her district's voting pattern. It was drawn as a "fair-fight" district, and President Barack Obama won the district by four points in 2012. In September 2014 she was endorsed for re-election by the United States Chamber of Commerce, becoming one of five Democrats to be endorsed by the Chamber in the 2014 congressional election cycle. She was re-elected with approximately 55 percent of the vote, beating Rogers by 13 points.

snip

In the 215th Congress, whilst still in the US House, she voted with Trump 62.6% of the time.

She and the self-described conservative, forced birther, Republican (John Carter) campaigning/fundraising-for Henry Cuellar (huge Biden critic on immigration and a lead conservadem trying to scupper Biden's $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill in the House now) had by far the highest +/- ratings for all Dems in Congress (meaning they voted with Trump and the Rethugs far more than their districts predicted).

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/house/

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #14)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 11:22 PM

19. Wow! One wonders how she ever got elected to the Senate

She has burned a lot of bridges in the last 10 years.

Reply to this post

Response to FakeNoose (Reply #19)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 11:32 PM

20. she got elected because (IMHO) people thought they were getting a Mark Kelly type moderate Dem

AZ is not CA, so an AOC type would really struggle to get elected, and that is fine, it is just the way it is. But Sinema is the epitome of a non team player, who simply doesn't give a toss about the bigger picture for the Party, plus refuses to explain her actions.

I also have come to the conclusion she has no true moral/philosophical foundation that extends beyond her own self interest, she appears to be a purely (or close to purely) transactional creature, as evidenced by her wild swings ideologically as the years flow by.

Reply to this post

Response to Celerity (Reply #20)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 04:03 AM

24. We both found the same article at roughly the same time - haha

Anyway, I found it lacked an explanation for why she does what she does. I, like you, would love to know as well!

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:41 PM

10. Fighting drought is good

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:51 PM

12. If we can pick up a few more Senate seats this November

She ain’t gonna be Queen Bee no more.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 08:38 PM

16. Ain't no mystery.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggo (Reply #16)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 11:03 AM

33. Yup. $old out. It$ the olde$t political trui$m

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 11:56 PM

22. Interesting post...I was listening to Keith Olberman and he mentioned he used to date Sinema.

I kind of surprised. I am OK with the deal that was struck. I am so pleased we got it through... K&R

Reply to this post

Response to Demsrule86 (Reply #22)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 12:40 AM

23. My theory is that she's easily influenced by those around her.

Hangs around with Green Party types, joins the Green Party. Spends time around Democrats, becomes a Democrat. Now she chats with her good friend Meghan McCain all the time and I really think I'm correct that she's dating a Republican. Like Guilfoyle who went from Gavin Newsom to Trump Jr., that sort of person.

Reply to this post

Response to betsuni (Reply #23)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 05:17 AM

26. I think your theory is spot on.

Reply to this post

Response to honest.abe (Reply #26)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 05:52 AM

27. Thank you, I really think it's correct.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 04:41 AM

25. Mediocrity wrapped in a clever sales pitch

Democrats liked the idea of a young hip modern woman with pro-environmental credentials representing their state. She bamboozled them. Or she switched up who she is and sold out to special interests.

She's not the first charlatan to wiggle her way into political celebrity with a big D behind her name. We should all remember John Edwards. The difference between us and the Republicans is that, when we find out who the con artists are among us, we get rid of them.

Republicans keep on reelecting Ted Cruz and Mitch McConnell and Susan Collins and Ron Johnson. Once you're a Republican with power, all you gotta do is keep on saying the right (wing) things and the rank and file don't question your ethics. They just love to line up snd march behind the band, no matter how crazy or dangerous the tune gets

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 07:08 AM

28. She suffers from delusions of adequacy

She carries out all of her duties and responsibilities to her complete satisfaction.

Reply to this post

Response to maxrandb (Reply #28)

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 07:10 AM

29. lol, I am so stealing this

delusions of adequacy

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 07:48 AM

31. I see nothing mysterious in any of this. She tricked hopeful progressives/Progressives

into voting for her. Frankly, I wonder if she'd vote for this CLIMATE AND TAX-REFORM bill at all if voting against climate action wouldn't hurt her with most increasingly worried AZ voters as the climate crisis grows.

Sinema's climate record is not good. And of course we see her protecting the wealthy from tax reform.

Dems86 is right that it's hard to get senators out of office, of course. Voters are frequently disappointed and/or seriously betrayed when they elect people who don't have solid records to study and know them by, but especially senators. Sinema is a classic example, and it's clear she intends to get reelected in this red state -- but not by depending on Democrats.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 09:24 AM

32. How are her ends unclear? She received over $2.5 million in contributions from them since elected.

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 11:11 AM

34. She capitalized on the blue wave, and we celebrated her victory

Without question, her win was a victory for all of us.

I just wish I knew what exactly did she have in mind when she decided to run for Senate as a Democrat. What is she wanting to accomplish as a Senator?

Reply to this post

Sat Aug 6, 2022, 11:14 AM

35. Mama said if you don't have anything nice to say........ nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread