HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » No charges after U.S. fla...

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 02:07 AM

No charges after U.S. flag draped over Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Ottawa)

No charges after U.S. flag draped over Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Author of the article:

Matthew Lapierre

Publishing date:

Aug 04, 2022  •  6 hours ago  •  4 minute read  •   Join the conversation

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/no-charges-after-u-s-flag-draped-over-tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier

"SNIP......

Ottawa police say they will not lay charges against a man who was captured on social media with a U.S. flag draped over the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

“The man was identified and spoken to,” the service said in a statement. “He showed remorse for the incident and police are confident that he will not repeat it. As no criminal charge was laid, we will not release further information, including his name.”

The image of the man standing by the tomb circulated widely on social media, drawing outrage and appearing to be linked to supporters of the “Freedom Convoy.”

Anita Anand, Canada’s minister of defence, said in a tweet on July 25 that the events “disturbed” her.

.....SNIP"

Applegrove: no doubt the MAGA bubble heads have a grand vision to take Canada. "And Canada will pay for it". No wall this time.

8 replies, 713 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply No charges after U.S. flag draped over Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (Ottawa) (Original post)
applegrove Friday OP
Demovictory9 Friday #1
applegrove Friday #2
joemacdawson Friday #3
applegrove Friday #4
Hermit-The-Prog Friday #5
applegrove Friday #6
Hermit-The-Prog Friday #7
applegrove Friday #8

Response to applegrove (Original post)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 02:14 AM

1. Express remorse and no charges?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Demovictory9 (Reply #1)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 02:16 AM

2. Kid gloves for the right wing wannabe MAGAs so as not to make Canada

as partisan as the US is right now. It helps that you went through right wing hell first. We are learning from you.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 02:38 AM

3. Disgusting

This a gross dereliction of responsibility by those who are meant to uphold laws and maintain justice. But if you were here, and I live a few blocks away, the police were more sympathetic to the insurrectionists storming of the parliament than the vast majority of the citizenry were. It shouldn’t be all that surprising but it’s still infuriating.

Reply to this post

Response to joemacdawson (Reply #3)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 02:43 AM

4. Oh I think they don't want more MAGA martyrs or publicity to the cause

of the annexation of Canada. Fact is the illegal activity was political so too should the response be.

Reply to this post

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 09:11 AM

5. I would prefer to name and shame those who desecrate monuments.

Ottawa police chose not to charge the woman filmed dancing on the tomb, the service said in April. Instead, she was “processed by other means,” and showed remorse, police said. Offenders who commit mischief to war monuments can be imprisoned up to 10 years and face a $1,000 fine.

But the Standing Committee on Veterans Affairs recommended that prison sentences and fines not become the main consequence for those caught desecrating monuments. “The committee believes that alternative dispute resolution mechanisms would more likely have a positive impact in terms of both deterrence and awareness,” the report read.

War memorials and monuments require protection, the report concluded, but they must also remain accessible to the public.

I don't understand anybody desecrating a "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier". WTF was the unnamed man draping a U.S. flag on a Canadian monument? Too much brain rot in the world.

Reply to this post

Response to Hermit-The-Prog (Reply #5)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:12 PM

6. Well good then because doing anything to that Memorial is political.

Reply to this post

Response to applegrove (Reply #6)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:20 PM

7. That's some messed up politics. Let me guess: inFOXicated.

Reply to this post

Response to Hermit-The-Prog (Reply #7)

Fri Aug 5, 2022, 07:35 PM

8. We don't get Fox here but we get all manner of podcasts from all right wing sources.

Don't like it at all. I know that some of the people not being charged with designating monuments are people protesting old time racist leaders so I am glad they are not getting charged. I guess if you don't charge the left you can't charge the right so maybe that is it. Accepting that monuments to people that are a hundred years old are inevitably going to attract property damage or protest I guess. But yeah. F'ed up putting a US flag on a Canadian Memorial is bad. Baiting. Sick.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread