HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why in the world are DUer...

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:45 AM

Why in the world are DUers arguing about Covid and the new variants?

It's pretty simple: the virus is mutating. Fewer people are dying thanks to vaccines. However, Dr's do not know yet what will be the long term consequences of mild infections will be; clearly there is evidence that the virus could potentially permanently affect your lungs, liver, or kidneys. The Dr's don't know yet- because that takes time.

So WHY am I seeing people on here writing about "fear mongering" or some such crap? If you personally are not scared of the potential of long term damage, then go right on to your restaurants and parties.

If you are nervous about that- and my husband and I are in that camp-- then keep masking in public places, and avoid crowds, indoor dining etc. No one that is masking or socially distancing is "living in fear." That is such a silly puerile term.

For the non-maskers, like it or not, you WILL be facing consequences that are inevitable. Expect to have to use sick days at work- and if you have children in school, you can reasonably expect that their teachers will be substitutes for part of the year. Obviously, that is fine with you...so have at it.

For maskers, like it or not, we are going to have to keep masking. Does it suck? Not really- the masks don't bother me all that much.

But, Jesus Christ- quit arguing as if your "opinion" means jack shit. It does not- we are living in a new world virus- and how you choose to handle it and your health is up to you.

105 replies, 4238 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 105 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why in the world are DUers arguing about Covid and the new variants? (Original post)
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 OP
Maru Kitteh Jul 9 #1
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #2
womanofthehills Jul 9 #83
Hugin Jul 9 #22
sybylla Jul 9 #49
zuul Jul 9 #3
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #4
SouthernDem4ever Jul 9 #28
Hekate Jul 9 #35
BlackSkimmer Jul 9 #5
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #6
BlackSkimmer Jul 9 #47
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #53
BlackSkimmer Jul 9 #65
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #66
BlackSkimmer Jul 9 #70
ashredux Jul 9 #7
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #8
ashredux Jul 9 #9
Iggo Jul 9 #81
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #82
Iggo Jul 9 #87
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #90
Iggo Jul 9 #93
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #94
Martin68 Jul 9 #33
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #38
Mad_Machine76 Jul 9 #100
Orrex Jul 9 #10
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #13
elias7 Jul 9 #31
Martin68 Jul 9 #37
Orrex Jul 9 #80
oldsoftie Jul 9 #42
Chin music Jul 9 #91
Duppers Jul 9 #11
iemanja Jul 9 #74
keep_left Jul 9 #86
Mister Ed Jul 9 #12
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #14
captain queeg Jul 9 #15
MindHowYouGo Jul 9 #16
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #19
BlackSkimmer Jul 9 #48
Lovie777 Jul 9 #17
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #20
Scrivener7 Jul 9 #18
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #21
Dorian Gray Jul 9 #34
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #57
Dorian Gray Jul 9 #103
electric_blue68 Jul 9 #105
MOMFUDSKI Jul 9 #23
rzemanfl Jul 9 #24
ariadne0614 Jul 9 #29
myohmy2 Jul 9 #25
SouthernDem4ever Jul 9 #26
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #30
SouthernDem4ever Jul 9 #32
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #36
SouthernDem4ever Jul 9 #39
treestar Jul 9 #46
treestar Jul 9 #45
Sunsky Jul 9 #27
Marthe48 Jul 9 #40
treestar Jul 9 #41
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #55
treestar Jul 9 #96
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #97
IronLionZion Jul 9 #43
Solomon Jul 9 #44
ChazII Jul 9 #50
jcgoldie Jul 9 #51
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #54
jcgoldie Jul 9 #56
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #58
jcgoldie Jul 9 #60
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #63
Solomon Jul 9 #62
jcgoldie Jul 9 #64
Solomon Jul 9 #73
Hugin Jul 9 #59
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #61
jcgoldie Jul 9 #52
Sympthsical Jul 9 #67
jcgoldie Jul 9 #68
Sympthsical Jul 9 #72
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #69
Sympthsical Jul 9 #71
USALiberal Jul 9 #75
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #76
USALiberal Jul 9 #77
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #78
USALiberal Jul 9 #79
dwayneb Jul 9 #89
Sympthsical Jul 9 #98
Celerity Jul 9 #92
usedtobedemgurl Jul 9 #84
BannonsLiver Jul 9 #95
liberal_mama Jul 9 #102
Mysterian Jul 9 #85
nini Jul 9 #88
Mad_Machine76 Jul 9 #99
Thtwudbeme Jul 9 #101
beaglelover Jul 9 #104

Response to Thtwudbeme (Original post)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:53 AM

1. Unless how you choose to handle it kills somebody else.

Iím typing this right now from a Covid ward with 12 patients. My co-workers ALL have Covid. Iím the only one on this unit that does not have Covid.

So, you know - Iím SICK OF WATCHING PATIENTS DIE because of a preventable infectious disease and ďhow you choose to handle it.Ē

Do you know how pitiful and helpless a feeling it is to watch old men cry because they donít expect to make it? It doesnít always take them right away. It usually takes a while.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Maru Kitteh (Reply #1)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:57 AM

2. I know-- I get that. One of my oldest friends is a nurse that deals with it.

And we are choosing to NOT be part of that problem.

However, we are living in a country where there are going to be people shrieking about masking and that bullshit about "living in fear."
It's the dumbest crap I have ever witnessed- like watching toddlers.

There's no point in arguing about it though- it is what it is. I am sorry you are seeing it personally. I am worried about going back to school in a month and being around a thousand kids and 50 staff members that don't mask. I have held off on my last booster because of that- I'll be getting it this week.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #2)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 12:40 PM

83. I really dislike "shoulds" - others telling people how to behave

People will behave accordingly to their life experiences. This thing is so novel and effecting every aspect of our lives - discussion and differing views are welcome.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:31 AM

22. Aw, MK. I don't even know what to say aside from thank you.

I cannot imagine.

In only going about my daily non medical business on the phone for the last several weeks, I talk with at least one person who either has or is ďgetting overĒ COVID. Sometimes it is four or five. Yesterday, it was three and I was informed one of them isnít likely to make it.

This is only doing routine stuff like my banking, checking on records, making appointments that sort of thing.

Unbelievable!

Please take care of yourself, too!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:56 AM

49. I'm with you.

Not a medical professional, but sick and tired of people not caring about people dying, not caring about preventing infections in children, not caring if people max out their sick days in the first quarter of the year on COVID, then catch it 3 more times and have to work sick, not caring if their actions cause schools and businesses to shut down.

It's always "me, me, me."

People really are showing their whole selves in this pandemic. I never thought I'd become so tired of people.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:04 AM

3. Thank you.

That thread was appalling.

Reply to this post

Response to zuul (Reply #3)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:08 AM

4. oh, it's not just about that thread

Crap about Covid and "fear mongering" has been going on for two years now. I could not give a crap if people are masking or not- I just stay away from the non-maskers, and go on about my day.

We are working for our retirement- maybe planning on leaving the country due to the proliferation of dickweeds and the religious bullshit- and not really interested in finding out if there are horrid long term effects from "mild cases."

And no- we aren't "abandoning the country." It's more of a desire to live somewhere that we can make friends. I don't know about you, but I have ZERO interest in discussing anything, including the weather, with our American Taliban Fuckwits.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #4)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:14 AM

28. I am there with you

It's sad we work all your lives and think it's time to relax and the fascists take over your government. How much more F'd up can things get?

Reply to this post

Response to zuul (Reply #3)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:34 AM

35. Yes it was. This just ain't over. I think our hubris got us, & we're in the Age of New Viruses...

In the 20th century, especially the last half, America and Europe whipped one disease after another, so many of the ancient scourges were brought under control. AIDS was a new deadly scourge, but by God we just knew we could bring that under control once we funded enough research, changed behaviors, etc.

But something really happened to us, something between hubris and dumbing down of the populace, at least here in America. And since thinking is hard, research is expensive, and politicians are just people from the dumbed-down populace Ö

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:09 AM

5. I recently had to visit the ER, followed by a trip to my doctor.

I was immediately tested for Covid at the ER (negative), but the nurse told me they were having "lots" of people coming in and testing positive. I was there for another reason, but because of my symptoms, they immediately thought Covid.

My doctor told me the same thing later, that they were having quite a few Covid patients. So you're spot on. This virus is far from gone.

Reply to this post

Response to BlackSkimmer (Reply #5)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:12 AM

6. I hope you are OK-

I would send thoughts and prayers, but I don't do that shit

Seriously, I do hope you are OK- and that the long term affects are minimal.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #6)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:48 AM

47. I didn't have Covid. Amazingly, I contracted Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Tick bite.

I'm frequently in the woods with my dogs, and had recently been clearing some brush as well.

Lived to my 60s in the south, and I've never even known anyone with it! I was very sick, but antibiotics cleared it right up. Horrible disease if not treated quickly.

But at least it wasn't Covid lol! Thanks for the good wishes.

Reply to this post

Response to BlackSkimmer (Reply #47)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:09 AM

53. omg, I had it in 2008. For a long time, if you read about it in NC

the news articles would mention "a case in 2008." That was me!

Horrid, isn't it? I am glad you are OK.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #53)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:40 AM

65. Oh wow! Now I can say I know someone who had it! NC here too. Wow, how funny.

I think I did read that while researching it! Did you get sick at all or catch it quickly? One great thing I read is that once you've had it, you're forever immune. So that's a bonus.

Coulda knocked me over with a feather when they told me I had it.

Very few things will get me to the ER, but the symptoms of that sure did.

Reply to this post

Response to BlackSkimmer (Reply #65)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:43 AM

66. I knew I had it within 20 minutes of developing a fever. But, I also

pulled a tick off myself a few days before. Picked it up on Hwy. 49 on the way to Charlotte....Subie had a flat, and I had to get out in tall grass.

It's amazing how bad I felt, and how fast it came on!

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #66)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:06 AM

70. Ditto I had a bite with a rash, then a few days after developed a high fever, horrid chills, and

nausea. Actually, except for the nausea, almost the symptoms I had with Covid in '20. Somehow I just knew it wasn't Covid.

Yeah, I felt rotten. Reading about it is scary. We'd both be dead probably if we'd gotten it 150 years ago.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:17 AM

7. Fear makes people "stupid", so to speak. Covid-19's new variants are bad. Very bad.

ďBA.5 is the worst version of the virus that weíve seen.Ē

ďIt takes immune escape, already extensive, to the next level, and, as a function of that, enhanced transmissibility well beyond earlier versions of omicronĒ. - Washington Post

I have a friend who is a doctorÖ.Ē The spike protein that hooks it to cells mutated. Thatís what the vaccine is made to hit. Now it infects you faster and harder.Ē

Itís is real. It is mutating. Wearing a mask may save your life. A rather simple equation.

Reply to this post

Response to ashredux (Reply #7)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:21 AM

8. But...you know what? People are NOT going to. There you go.

So wear yours if it makes you comfortable, and keep distancing. We are.

There's no point in arguing about it. The reality is that the virus is here. If people are fine with getting it, and dealing with sick days- loss of productive time, or even their long term health....whatever.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #8)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:23 AM

9. Sadly you are correct....😢

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #8)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 12:26 PM

81. My problem isn't that people are fine getting it.

My problem is that people are fine spreading it.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggo (Reply #81)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 12:32 PM

82. This country is not known for being the Breeding Ground of Empathy.

They.don't.care.

At all.

There are non-masking DUers here....probably reading this thread and thinking "fuck she's right...I don't need to explain myself to these people living in fear anymore."

And they are correct- they do not. It's a line in the sand across the nation and really the world, and there is no point in arguing it anymore. IF people start keeling over again, we'll be back to masking and social distancing.....otherwise, it's time to just do you.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #82)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:01 PM

87. I'm not living in fear.

Iím living in astonishment and anger at the stupidity of my fellow Americans.

This is not a ďyou do youĒ thing.

Itís a ďfuck you for you doing you and not caring who you killĒ thing.

Reply to this post

Response to Iggo (Reply #87)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:15 PM

90. That's pretty much how I feel about all Trump voters right now.

I want to tell you that the night I saw it flash across the CNN screen that Roe vs Wade was overturned, I felt like burning something down. I mean we are talking seething hot rage.

The anti-maskers have a point (the anti-vaxxers have no point- I don't know if you have noticed, but I do not discuss them whatsoever. They are dead to me-- goddess I just quoted Sonny Corleon.)

The CDC- who for most of our lives (I am 58) were our touchstone for all that is good and healthy TOLD people that it was fine to take their masks off. Governors of all states followed, even knowing it was a political move. The vaccines worked. People stopped dropping dead and no one had to dig mass graves anymore. That's their worldview- their point. In their minds, the experts have spoken and they can go to a retro Shawn Cassidy Show (yes, he's touring again, yes I had a crush on him) and sit around 5,000 unmasked strangers and relive their youths.

I SEE their point. I just don't happen to abide by it.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #90)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:51 PM

93. I'm not talking about Trumpers. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Response to Iggo (Reply #93)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:59 PM

94. I know you are not. I was using that analogy to empathize with you.

I know who you are talking about.

Reply to this post

Response to ashredux (Reply #7)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:33 AM

33. I don't think "fear" is the key to conservative rejection of science. I think it is a twisted sort

of John Wayne overconfidence in their own understanding of real dangers and the consequences of not taking them seriously. They are Dirty Harry wannabe "tough guys" who assume liberals are weak cowards.

Reply to this post

Response to Martin68 (Reply #33)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:36 AM

38. oh, for sure there is some of that. You see it in the people who think Trump

is "tough," and glamorize him as a fit super hero....while they are looking at photos of him being driven around in a golf cart. Bizarro land-

Reply to this post

Response to Martin68 (Reply #33)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 03:11 PM

100. +1

This

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:24 AM

10. DU has always had an antivax contingent with a pathological distrust of modern medicine

Some of my earliest interactions on DU were with people who were preaching the gospel of Andrew Wakefield, and when Gardasil came out a bunch of them absolutely lost their shit about it. All of that antifax bullshit sort of calmed down during the thick of the covid pandemic, but I knew that it hadn't actually gone away.

In addition, society as a whole has always prioritized "getting back to normal" over "keeping people safe," so it's disappointing but not surprising to see that sentiment echoed here @ DU.

Reply to this post

Response to Orrex (Reply #10)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:38 AM

13. Yep. And you know what? Whatever. I wish them good health

and will continue to hope to see them online only.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:23 AM

31. We now have two decades of data thanks to non vaxxers - their fears have been proven wrong

Yet, their minds do not change. I get being anti-technology given the double edged sword of change, but Anti-science people are primarily projecting their feelings of inferiority as anger on those who were so much smarter than them in high school.

In our ED, we are seeing covid all the time right now, a half dozen or so cases/day which comprises 15% of our patients. Covid is alive in well.

I am living in health, not in fear, by masking. I am protecting my community by masking and being mindful of the virus. I get wanting to move on, but I find that militant move on-ness to be childish and narcissistic

Reply to this post

Response to elias7 (Reply #31)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:35 AM

37. They are Flat Earthers.

Reply to this post

Response to elias7 (Reply #31)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 12:14 PM

80. Excellent post

My job requires daily in-home contact with customers in Ohio and western PA, and this region decided about 2.5 years ago that the pandemic really isnít a thing.

My company dropped its mask requirement the instant it was possible to do so, but I still wear mine while on the job, and Iím double vaxxed and double boosted.

As far as I know I have only one coworker who does so.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:41 AM

42. Wow I've never seen anti vaxxers here. I guess there are some everywhere.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:25 AM

11. Had to block ...

2 DUers harassing me about 9mos ago in one of my thread for posting that I was continuing to wear a mask.

What you said is exactly true. TY!

Reply to this post

Response to Duppers (Reply #11)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:26 AM

74. They sound a lot like MAGATs

Reply to this post

Response to iemanja (Reply #74)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:00 PM

86. There are numerous ones like that here.

I suspect that I have the same ones blocked myself.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:33 AM

12. Thank you!! "Living in fear", my ass.

I have yet to experience even a moment of fear in regards to Covid. I have, however, been cautious, and considerate of others. There are some amongst my friends and family who regard that as "fear", and evidently like to think of their own carelessness, selfishness, and self-delusion as "courage".

Reply to this post

Response to Mister Ed (Reply #12)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:41 AM

14. You are welcome- but I am not going to put them down either

I am just going to continue to stay away from non-maskers.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 06:57 AM

15. I haven't gotten covid, had all the shots and boosters

But so have the people I know who've gotten it lately. Yeah its a pain in the ass to have to mask up again. But there's lots of worse things. I've got quite a few home tests stashed (My state will give you 8 for free) and i have to down in a week to the clinic for the deep probe before I go into the hospital for a procedure. I'm kind of bummed that some of my plans are back on hold, but its not that big a deal.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:04 AM

16. Is it up to the individual?

Of course it is, but how you handle it impacts others. It's a matter of serving the greater good.

When talking to people who feel they are invincible (they are boosted, they've had it, they're not high-risk) and are dismissive of my masking, I let them know that I'm doing it for others.

I'm afraid of giving it to someone else.

A non-masker friend gave it to a mutual friend in her 80s and to his spouse who then unwittingly passed it on to his mother who is still in the hospital.

Like others, I am tired of covid restrictions, but I still follow the guidelines.

Like others, I find masks uncomfortable when it's hot and humid, but I still wear one.

Remember "Stop the Spread?"

Reply to this post

Response to MindHowYouGo (Reply #16)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:12 AM

19. My county in NC just today recommended masking again

People tend to think "death," but they might want to be thinking, "Why isn't my favorite server here at the restaurant?" "Why does my kid have a substitute AGAIN?" "Why doesn't the Piggly Wiggly open another checkout line?"

The economic implications are clear.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #19)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:51 AM

48. Im in NC too, and I've been pleasantly surprised by how many I see wearing a mask.

I still do, and I've never faced even the smallest amount of ridicule for it. Not that I would care if that happened.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:06 AM

17. My household, relatives and friends are well aware of the mutants ....

we are still wearing masks and keep up with shots and news. Just the other day I read that COVID was defeated and the variants are weak.

Reply to this post

Response to Lovie777 (Reply #17)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:13 AM

20. Same

nt

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:11 AM

18. OMG. People are calling COVID caution "fear mongering"?? How very republiQan of them.

My niece's whole office caught it during one meeting a week ago. One is in the hospital.

MUCH better than it used to be, but no way I'm spinning that roulette wheel

Reply to this post

Response to Scrivener7 (Reply #18)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:15 AM

21. But- the reality is that they DO have a "choice" right now

and the only choice we have is to stay away from them and mask up.

There's no point in name calling or arguing anymore. Just avoid people in public that you disagree with.

I hope like hell Bruce Springsteen doesn't tour anytime soon--- that's going to be a hard call for me. I adore him and feel better for MONTHS after worshiping with my fellow Bruce fanatics....but is it worth being exposed?

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #21)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:34 AM

34. MY opinion only

if you love Bruce (as a born and bred NJ girl, I do!), I would go to the concert. Especially if he performs in an outdoor stadium. (I know that's not usually the case, but it happens!) Get up to date on boosters before you go, and wear a mask! ENJOY what you ENJOY. Take precautions while you do it.

Reply to this post

Response to Dorian Gray (Reply #34)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:20 AM

57. oh goddess....he wrote a song just for you!

I keep telling my husband that Bruce turns on the lights in auditoriums during "Born to Run" because he is looking for me!

I have seen him 6 times--- and convinced Michael to become a Bruce fan. He got to see him while Clarence and Dan Federice were still alive, thank goddess. Don't laugh, but it took me well over a decade or two to warm up to Patty. Now I love her so much and recognize her talent.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #57)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:04 PM

103. Aw! You're a real fan!!!

I grew up close ro the stone pony. Only a couple of towns away. Iím in nyc now, but heís been known to show up and play with local bands ar some local Monmouth county bars In the summer time. (Donovanís reef in sea bright!). And many a friend has seen him eating hot dogs at Maxís in long branch.

Clarence was great. Max winebergís wife was a substitute teacher in my high school back in the 80: (aging myself!).

I truly hope you get to go and have a blast! ❤️

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #21)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:43 PM

105. If my 4 favorite bands were playing an outdoor show I might go sit outside the venue...

masked, etc .

That'd be for:
The Who
U2.
The Patti Smith Group

or....

Wait for it...

Broooooooce!!! 😄

Luckily bc I live in NYC I've seen him & E Street many times since 1976 in a theater! 🥰🧡

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:35 AM

23. My husband and I

have never stopped wearing our masks. Just yesterday we met friends at a restaurant to eat outside and my masked husband had to go inside to let them know we were dining on the patio. Sure enough, not a mask in sight. Then a jerk at the bar mumbled something about a MASK to deride my husband. He ignored it. We walk amongst these folks, of which there are many.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:35 AM

24. Yesterday I made a decision to change aspects of my lifestyle because of the variants.

I will wear a mask when I shop. I'll use stairs rather than elevators whenever I can and mask up on the elevators. I will stop using the Y if I cannot control my exposure to others (that essentially means I will visit, swipe my card so they get the Silver Sneakers money, and leave). I am not pleased, but I feel that if the unvaccinated continue to furnish variants a place to mutate, I have no other sensible choice.

Reply to this post

Response to rzemanfl (Reply #24)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:19 AM

29. +1. Is it safe for people like us to hang out together? n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 07:48 AM

25. +1...

...right on...

...I've never stopped masking in public..

....even if it's is only as bad as a nasty flu or cold, who needs a nasty flu or cold?

"It's pretty simple: the virus is mutating."..."..we are living in a new world virus.."

...it ain't over, until it's over...

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:07 AM

26. When I start hearing stupid mask and vaccine arguments...

I just go read sorryantivaxxer.com

It makes me remember they are the crazy ones.

Reply to this post

Response to SouthernDem4ever (Reply #26)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:22 AM

30. I just clicked on that one- the one at the top with long haul Covid-

wow.

scary shit.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #30)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:26 AM

32. The only people they site on there are misinformation spreaders

they spread misinformation anti-vax BS then they get covid and blame everyone else for their misfortune. The comments can get pretty heated as most of the people posting there are seriously frustrated with the lunacy.

Reply to this post

Response to SouthernDem4ever (Reply #32)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:35 AM

36. oh, I know...but still. It's hard to look at once healthy people

who are now either dead or disabled because they listened to Trump and Fox news.

Frightening. I always wonder if I could be swayed like that with the right kind of propaganda.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #36)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:38 AM

39. early on in the pandemic I gave everyone a pass

but today there is no excuse.

Reply to this post

Response to SouthernDem4ever (Reply #32)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:45 AM

46. "murder"

even with their loved one dead from it, they still won't accept the truth!

Reply to this post

Response to SouthernDem4ever (Reply #26)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:44 AM

45. OMG

Some of those people are rather young!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:12 AM

27. Exactly

I just scroll past the immature (I'm right and you're wrong) discussions.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:39 AM

40. Still masking and isolating

My s-i-l and her daughter came over and got some stuff I had stored for them. I wore a mask, and kept it on. My s-i-l is vaccinated, my niece is a trumper. They didn't come in the house.

I'll probably start masking around my family. I haven't been, but with the new variant, and that they travel, I'd better. Social distancing if I go out, sure not going out much. Sanitizing myself when I come home. It is a new world, and I'm doing what is best for me

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:40 AM

41. You're arguing

with a very argumentative tone.

I don't even disagree necessarily. But people have a right to do that.

I would agree the "living in fear" language comes from anti-vaxxers or other variations of Trumpets and so forth.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #41)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:15 AM

55. Darn! I could have sworn after over 2 decades that DU was a political website

that exists for debate and arguments.

Wish someone had clued me in sooner.....

Have a good day.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #55)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 02:36 PM

96. LOL your post says why are DUers arguing

as if they should not be.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #96)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 02:40 PM

97. Well, I think it's a moot point. And I explained myself upthread

The CDC has flat out told folks that they no longer need to mask. Covid kind of feels like "every man for himself" now. We mask and distance- avoid crowds etc....but, there's really no arguing with people that are choosing to follow the CDC directives.

I explained myself in post #90 I think. Somewhere around there.

And of course I sound argumentative. It's my nature. It's why I have been on DU for more than two decades, and married a DUer (still married!)

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:41 AM

43. CDC provides guidance based on local community levels

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/your-health/covid-by-county.html

People don't have to guess or be confused. It seems pretty clear with the color coding system.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 08:44 AM

44. My wife and I still mask and I don't think I will ever stop masking.

Never been as free of colds and infections as I have since masking. Its annoying when I hear people say its nothing but like the flu or a bad cold. Every time I hear that I say, "but long covid". Who wants that? I have copd from smoking in my past. Luckily enough, I was diagnosed in time to do something about it and so far it hasn't affected my enjoyment of life. All it takes is one covid infection and the lungs can be shot for the long term. Why would anyone risk that?

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:00 AM

50. Like many others here

I continue to wear my mask.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:05 AM

51. politically speaking "the pandemic is not over" is dead in the water

If you want a message that will kill democrats worse than $5 gas in November try that one. Advocating for masking or any other kind of covid related restrictions to come back is a political death sentence... rightly or wrongly nobody is going to vote for that.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #51)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:13 AM

54. People vote on the economy

Frame it that way and it will not be a problem.

Same with the anti-choicers--- Dems need to start asking flat out if these religious fuckwits are willing to pay more in taxes to support their new baby crop, AND have their insurance rates raised to support all the trips to the ERs for women that do not have insurance.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #54)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:19 AM

56. People vote on practical issues

They are simple. Someone telling them they have to wear a mask draws their short attention span in the way filling their gas tank does and important ideological issues like abortion rights and gay marriage unfortunately do not. There will be no more mask mandates because every governor in America in red or blue states is aware that even if covid isnít done with us, 75% + of the population is mentally done with covid.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #56)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:22 AM

58. and that...my friend...is why we are taking steps right now to leave the good old USA

We don't want to spend our happy golden years having to be around dolts.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #58)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:33 AM

60. I hope it works for you

Maybe Iím provincial and I certainly am not an American exceptionalist but from my vantage point I donít see many obviously more progressive places. The conservative backlash weíve been experiencing here they have been dealing with to some extent throughout Europe and Canada. Everywhere that groups of people have enjoyed privilege for so many years and now feel them threatened, there has been fear mongering pandering to base principles anti immigrant conservative reactionaries trying to recreate some period of white privilege from 70 years ago. Far afield of covid I suppose but having considered what you propose its difficult for me to see a place to really escape such ignorance.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #60)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:38 AM

63. Oh, I am not trying to get somewhere more "liberal"

We want to go somewhere close to a university where people value education and don't drive ginormous trucks. I don't give a flying rats ass if I have to sit in a garden and sip tea wondering how King William is doing.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #56)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:37 AM

62. who is asking for a mask mandate? You would think that common sense wouldn't require one.

All we are saying, is for those of us who want to continue wearing masks, that it remain our right to do so. People who don't like it should shut the fuck up.

What's next? Take away the right to wear a mask?

Reply to this post

Response to Solomon (Reply #62)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:38 AM

64. Who is saying you shouldnt have a right to wear a mask?

Someone said that here?

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #64)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:26 AM

73. You are the one who said "there will be no more

mask mandates" as if the OP is requesting one.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #54)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:29 AM

59. If COVID is a political third rail, republicans made it that way.

Going along with it enables their stupidity and malfeasance to carry on.

Mission accomplished.

Yeah, like you say, thereís so much to reframe in terms of cost. How much is whistling past guns and a pandemic costing each of us. If they are so keen on forcing birth, they sure as hell need to pay at least for the medical expenses during the pregnancy and birth. To protect the fetus. The expense of such an undertaking dwarfing the so-called Obamacare and Medicaid expansions in both scope and increased bureaucracy which they claim to hate. But, it will have to happen if what they seek is ever going to come close to reality. Speaking of fear mongering. I think thatís all they want in the end. The dogs are still chasing the car.

Reply to this post

Response to Hugin (Reply #59)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:35 AM

61. Hell yes it needs to be framed in terms of cost

The majority of the anti-abortion people I know are screaming about how much it costs to fill up their damned F-150s ....I told them, "Wait til you get to pay for all your new children."

I have YET to have a comeback.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:47 AM

67. When every new variant is "The one that will kill us all!"

People become anesthetized to dangers.

Unfortunately, in a world where every media outlet and modestly popular Twitterati wants some clicks, all news about Covid gets hyped through the roof. There are several people on Twitter who I've seen make every scrap of news about Covid practically an incoming Black Death. I think some got a little addicted to the sudden popularity they had during the pandemic and are not eager to let go of it any time soon.

Covid is something that's going to be lived with now. Get vaxxed, get boosted. Take what precautions you feel comfortable with.

But, "This is the Big One!" is done. It gets said over and over. Maybe there is a wolf on the horizon. Maybe. But I have heard tell of a lot more wolves than seem to be in evidence.

What is not useful is the resentment towards others who do not permanently exist in the state of panic. What are the terms being thrown around here towards people who aren't defenestrating themselves out of despair? Anti-vaxxers? Republicans?

I'm neither of those things. I'm vaxxed, boosted, and still wear a mask in crowded places. I've had friends come down with what one termed "the spicy cough" in the past month. It's around.

But the relentless, "This is it! This is the one that will end us all!" pot banging, the rage turned towards people who don't agree (*points above*), and the bizarre fantasy that somehow we're going back to mandatory anything whenever there's a blip on the news is exhausting to observe.

I said it before and suspect some of these responses are reactions to another thread, but that just sounds like an absolutely soul destroying way to live.

Get shots as necessary, keep an eyebrow raised, and move forward.

And for people who think we're going to return to restrictive policies - if you want to completely wipe us out in November, that would certainly be one way to do it.

This isn't being dismissive about Covid. This is acknowledging the reality we live in, the reality we will continue to live in, and taking considered stock of threats without running into the town square with every scrap of prophecy shouted out by that old hermit secreted away in his cave up on Twit Mountain.

Fear warps perspective, and I'll argue against that sort of thing every time.

Reply to this post

Response to Sympthsical (Reply #67)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:50 AM

68. I dont think we've agreed on much

Completely with you on this point.

Reply to this post

Response to jcgoldie (Reply #68)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:23 AM

72. Life would be so dull

If there wasn't a little variety in these things.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 09:57 AM

69. My original question stands: WHY are DUers even arguing about it

?

What's the point? People are going to do what they want.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #69)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:20 AM

71. It's the weekend?

Weekends seem to breed idle conflict. And lawn care at 6:30a if you're my neighbor.

I agree though. People are going to do what they're going to do.

Railing against that inevitability is just going full Bethany at about 2:40.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #69)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:28 AM

75. People are going to vote like they want to but we still discuss it here, get it???

Reply to this post

Response to USALiberal (Reply #75)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:31 AM

76. I think most of the people here are voting Dem. So, your analogy

doesn't exactly work, now does it?

What's with the "Get it," and three question marks? If you have a hangover, try a little Hair of the Dog.

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #76)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:32 AM

77. The point it is a discussion board, get it?? Nt

Reply to this post

Response to USALiberal (Reply #77)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:39 AM

78. Oh. I see. You are kind of a newbie.

Bless your heart! You have a good day!

Reply to this post

Response to Thtwudbeme (Reply #78)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 10:39 AM

79. Lol, ok!!

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:14 PM

89. Agreed

There is no question in my mind that media is hyping every new variant into an and of the world catastrophe. Of course it's a serious disease, not to be taken lightly. Get every vaccine and booster offered to you, then take the precautions that seem appropriate for your situation.

I make my decisions about those precautions based on the DATA not on what someone says on a cable news channel.

Here in Ohio, we have an excellent resource that shows the trend chart of Covid hospitalizations and ICU beds, for each region of the state. I think this is the best data to watch because, as we all know, case rates are now highly inaccurate since we started the at-home tests.

https://ohiohospitals.org/covid19data

Right now, the hospitalization rate is staying very low, about what it was last summer at the minimum, and at the very beginning of the pandemic. About 8X - 10X times lower that it was at the worst peak of the pandemic back in January.

I watch that chart every day. When then begins to appreciably increase, I'll go back to wearing a mask in public. I've always social distanced, even before Covid, it's just common sense not to get right up against strangers when you are out in public if you can avoid it.

Reply to this post

Response to dwayneb (Reply #89)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 02:55 PM

98. Yeah, absolutely keep an eye out

Right now, I'm working on my RN. My partner is a regional type for a major healthcare entity. I learn more real time useful information just going into the kitchen and idly making coffee than I do via random social media posts or news items that aren't providing adequate context. Whenever there's stuff floating around in the media, one of the first things I'll do is go have a conversation with him about things. We talk about hospitalization numbers, how many people are coming in for paxlovid, severity of symptoms they're seeing, etc.

It's a conversation we have several times a week. If he starts worrying, then I'm going to start worrying.

For now, the biggest problem in healthcare isn't Covid or bed availability. It's the shortage of workers. So many people tapped out during the pandemic that they have a very hard time getting people like nurses and pharmacists.

I still mask, even though it feels like we're at a 70/30 of people not masking at the stores I frequent. Part of it is I've kind of enjoyed never having a cold. The other is it is such a useful excuse not to shave. The only place I don't wear a mask is the gym. I go very, very early morning (5:30a) when there aren't a lot of people there, and I just hate doing cardio with one on. It's seriously unpleasant and I never got used to it.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:33 PM

92. great post

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 12:43 PM

84. Just wait until the winter....

Dr. Feigl-Ding announced, on Twitter, we may have a monkey pox pandemic on top of this one! That should be fun! Glad my significant other is retiring in September.

Reply to this post

Response to usedtobedemgurl (Reply #84)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 02:24 PM

95. I think people should wear masks and avoid crowded settings.

But Ding is a hair on fire loon. Nuttier than squirrel shit. Is he still pushing merch?

Reply to this post

Response to BannonsLiver (Reply #95)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 04:59 PM

102. Was Ding ever selling merch? I follow him on Twitter and don't recall him selling anything, but I'm

sure I haven't read all of his tweets. Does he have a book out?

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 12:51 PM

85. There are stupid people everywhere

Yes, even on DU.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 01:11 PM

88. There's fear then there's taking care of yourself and the greater good

Damn right I donít want this virus. I know Iíd survive a case now but whoís knows what issues I may have in ten years. Itís not difficult to do simple things to stay safe for myself and others I might come in contact with.

Itís amazing how many people donít understand how viruses work even on basic level. Whatís worse is the complete lack of giving a damn about others.

Iím to the point where the virus thinning the herd of the selfish and ignorant works for me. Unfortunately lots of compromised others will also pay the price.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 03:09 PM

99. I agree with some of what you say

but we need to challenge this notion that PUBLIC health can be PRIVATELY managed. When confronting an epidemic/pandemic, we have to dismiss the notion that you can have a patchwork of different local, state, and federal regulations and means to prevent the spread of contagious diseases. The widespread mismanagement of COVID has ensured that it will continue spreading and mutating indefinitely, and proves that you can't regulate it one way in one place and regulate it differently in another and hope to succeed.

Reply to this post

Response to Mad_Machine76 (Reply #99)

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 03:20 PM

101. *THIS* Abso-fucking-lutely

Every single thing that you just wrote.

Reply to this post

Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:08 PM

104. Exactly. It's up to us to determine how much risk

We are willing to take. So donít mandate mask wearing indoors. If someone wants to take a risk by not wearing a mask, let them. And if someone wants to wear a mask indoors, thatís cool too. Itís called personal responsibility.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread