HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Senate passes the PACT Ac...

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 06:48 PM

Senate passes the PACT Act

This was a long-needed bill to help veterans who are grappling with health problems due to toxic exposure during their service.

The Senate on Thursday passed historic legislation that would help millions of veterans who were exposed to toxic burn pits during their military service.

A wide bipartisan majority approved the long-awaited bill by a vote of 84-14. It will now go to the House of Representatives, where House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has pledged to move quickly and send it to President Joe Biden's desk for his signature. The bill is an amended version of the Honoring Our PACT Act that passed the House earlier this year.

"Today is a historic, long awaited day for our nation's veterans," said Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer in a floor speech on Thursday ahead of the vote. "In a few moments, the Senate is finally going to pass the PACT Act, the most significant expansion of health care benefits to our veterans in generations."

Schumer continued, "The callousness of forcing veterans who got sick as they were fighting for us because of exposure to these toxins to have to fight for years in the VA to get the benefits they deserved --- Well, that will soon be over. Praise God."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/16/politics/senate-vote-burn-pits-veterans/index.html

A video on what happened to one veteran after she was exposed (mild content warning, because what happened to her health is awful).

3 replies, 607 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Senate passes the PACT Act (Original post)
Sympthsical Jun 2022 OP
Deuxcents Jun 2022 #1
Celerity Jun 2022 #2
Deuxcents Jun 2022 #3

Response to Sympthsical (Original post)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 07:17 PM

1. Good..wonder who voted against it..

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Deuxcents (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 07:27 PM

2. Here (all Rethugs)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_votes/vote1172/vote_117_2_00230.htm

NAYs ---14

Burr (R-NC)
Crapo (R-ID)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Toomey (R-PA)
Tuberville (R-AL)

Not Voting - 2

Daines (R-MT)
Wicker (R-MS)

Reply to this post

Response to Sympthsical (Original post)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 08:40 PM

3. Thank you, Friend 🙏. I can't believe

My two senators, Scott n Rubio are not on the list..amazing but saves me a phone call to complain!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread