HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The no-brainers who are u...

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 03:58 PM

The no-brainers who are um sort of okay why not with Trump

A friend reported that he was playing chess with a guy who, during a pause said with furrowed brow, "What's this about someone trying to kill Mike Pence?"

The friend paused to take in this and consider how to answer. "Uh, it happened January 6. You know, when Trump sent the mob down to the Capitol. Some of them planned to kill Mike Pence if they could get him."

No-brainer asked, "Why did they want to kill him?"

Patient pause. "Well, Trump wanted him not to ratify that Biden won the election."

"Oh. Why Pence?"

"The vice president is the one who does that-- counts the electoral votes and says Biden won. It's just a formality, but Trump wanted to stop it."

No brainer said, "Wait. Mike Pence was vice president? I thought he was governor." (They live in Indiana.)

Friend had gotten tired of explaining, but felt like he had to ask: "Who did you vote for?"

Trump, of course.

Now the no-brainer is wandering around in a fog, no doubt, unable to get it straight. I can imagine him muttering, "So... Pence beat Trump? Does that mean Pence is president now?"

My friend's point is-- perhaps many Trump voters are completely clueless, completely unread, unwilling/unable to read headlines or use google. Then again, apparently this no-brainer doesn't even watch Fox News. Alas, he was aware just enough to remember he was registered to vote, and he probably obediently went down to vote and saw Trump's name on the ballot and thought, hmm. I think I've heard that name before. I'll vote for him.

But... I guess the good news is, at least he heard enough floating in the ether to have captured a fragment of reality, that someone somewhere somehow wanted to kill Mike Pence.

This is another thing we have to deal with when saving democracy... or maybe we can just pat them on the head and say, "Yeah, isn't it weird that Trump wanted to kill someone. I don't like that, do you?"

11 replies, 796 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply The no-brainers who are um sort of okay why not with Trump (Original post)
viva la Jun 2022 OP
Whiskeytide Jun 2022 #1
viva la Jun 2022 #3
jimfields33 Jun 2022 #2
TheProle Jun 2022 #4
Whiskeytide Jun 2022 #6
hurple Jun 2022 #7
viva la Jun 2022 #9
Totally Tunsie Jun 2022 #10
empedocles Jun 2022 #5
viva la Jun 2022 #8
Deminpenn Jun 2022 #11

Response to viva la (Original post)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:03 PM

1. Not buying this story. There's NO WAY your friend's friend was playing chess. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Whiskeytide (Reply #1)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:05 PM

3. What is really appalling is--

The no-brainer is a retired teacher.
Has a master's degree.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:04 PM

2. Pence was Governor for almost 8 years in Indiana

I think they thought he was still Governor. Very few know state legislators.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:20 PM

4. Low- and no-info voters are frustrating

In a 2019 survey, 12% of Americans had never heard of Pence.
In a 2011 survey, 6% had never heard of then-VP Biden, who's been part of the national political landscape for decades.

https://fox59.com/news/politics/12-percent-of-americans-dont-know-who-mike-pence-is-according-to-poll/

Reply to this post

Response to TheProle (Reply #4)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:37 PM

6. I read somewhere a couple years ago that something like 13%...

of Americans think Morgan Freeman was the president. Geez.

Reply to this post

Response to Whiskeytide (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:40 PM

7. He has been

Several times.

He was once in that comet hitting earth movie. Then again in that terrorists attack England movie. And I'm sure there have been other times.

Sheesh! Do you're research!

Reply to this post

Response to hurple (Reply #7)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 05:05 PM

9. LOL- He really was up there with the best presidents.

Only FDR faced a comparable number of disasters.

Reply to this post

Response to Whiskeytide (Reply #6)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 05:30 PM

10. He's also been God on a couple of occasions.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:29 PM

5. My wife's lunch friend, a trumper, declared she would not watch any news

about the Hearings, etc., did not want to talk about it, or any politics. Knows little politics.

I've known her for a long time. She does tune in to 'local' news, which is fed as 'local sourced'.

She blamed Biden for putin invading Ukraine. If trump was president putin never would have done that.

Reply to this post

Response to empedocles (Reply #5)

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 05:04 PM

8. Actually, Putin was kind of dumb about that

If he would have invaded UKR in 2017, Trump would have happily approved, instead of Biden helping to arm and support Ukraine.

Reply to this post

Fri Jun 17, 2022, 05:35 PM

11. There are lots of people who live their lives paying little

or no to attention to politics. All politics and political news is just an etheral cloud floating by that sometimes drops a few tidbits of information on them, but it rarely sticks or causes them to ask questions or think about how that might affect them.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread