HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » 'Pretty savvy' DOJ just s...

Wed May 18, 2022, 09:05 AM

'Pretty savvy' DOJ just sidestepped legal battles that have slowed Jan. 6 committee's probe:

https://www.rawstory.com/glenn-kirschner-msnbc/

I like Glenn Kirschner but, really, he's been all over the place r.e. the DOJ. I trust Biden and Garland and I think we can now be confident that an investigation is underway.

"I think we've all experienced some frustration because it doesn't look like the Department of Justice has been investigating this the way it would ordinarily investigate, you know, even large-scale conspiracy cases because they don't appear to have been sort of carpet-bombing folks with grand jury subpoenas the way we ordinarily would," Kirschner said.

Kirschner praised DOJ investigators for waiting until the Select Committee had conducted its interviews instead of pursuing the same witnesses.

6 replies, 1174 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Joinfortmill (Original post)

Wed May 18, 2022, 09:16 AM

1. The select committee doesn't feel the same as Kirschner feels.

I have heard members of the select state numerous times that DOJ had better not be waiting on them for criminal referrals. Adam Schiff stated this numerous times.

Kirschner is wrong about this, DOJ has no good reason to wait to investigate crimes.

As a matter of fact, I wish that DOJ had run a parallel investigation into the Trump/Raffensperger phone call.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed May 18, 2022, 09:18 AM

2. I'm No Lawyer But I Always Thought DOJ Should Wait on the J6 SC to Finish Interviews.

Reply to this post

Response to Indykatie (Reply #2)

Wed May 18, 2022, 11:21 AM

4. Problem is mid terms are looming and if Rs win the House, all this may be for naught

And the guilty once again avoid accountability and a terrible precedent is set that seriously affects our Democracy. I appreciate due legal review but there is a scary political reality here.

Reply to this post

Response to dutch777 (Reply #4)

Wed May 18, 2022, 11:41 AM

5. The committee will finish its investigation before the midterms

And control of congress doesn’t affect the DOJ investigation/prosecutions.

Reply to this post

Wed May 18, 2022, 10:00 AM

3. I have a low opinion of Kirschner's commentaries, but he hit the spot here.

Despite his often excessive demagoguery, Kirschner sees the significance of Garland's move here. Garland is weaponizing the January 6 committee.

Ordinarily, the report to be issued by the Committee would mark the end of their mission. The Committee does not have the power to indict or prosecute. Nor can they compel the executive branch to act on their conclusions. By requesting their transcripts, Garland sends a clear message that the J6 report will become part of his investigation. In fact, I believe his statement included something to the effect that the transcripts he is requesting may compliment and add to the DOJ investigation. This is tantamount to Garland making a commitment to, at the ery least, include the J6 Committee findings in his investigation. It also hints (something Garland has not done to date) at the progress and direction of the DOJ investigation, which appears to have been well under way even prior to Garland's request for transcripts.

Reply to this post

Wed May 18, 2022, 07:08 PM

6. I am happy to see that some experts who have been so negative on the DOJ changing their minds

I have been following the complaints about the DOJ not moving fast enough on the Jan. 6 investigation. I like Glen Kurshner but he has been down on the DOJ. That changed to a great deal with the latest announcement. The DOJ made a very savy legal move to let the Jan. 6 committee investigate this matter and will be able to use the Jan. 6 committee work. In addition, the Jan. 6 committee will be able to inform the public as to the whole story.

https://www.rawstory.com/glenn-kirschner-msnbc/

Federal authorities opened a new direction in their criminal probe by requesting transcripts of interviews conducted by congressional investigators, and MSNBC legal analyst Glenn Kirschner explained why that move was "savvy."

"I think we've all experienced some frustration because it doesn't look like the Department of Justice has been investigating this the way it would ordinarily investigate, you know, even large-scale conspiracy cases because they don't appear to have been sort of carpet-bombing folks with grand jury subpoenas the way we ordinarily would," Kirschner said.

Kirschner praised DOJ investigators for waiting until the Select Committee had conducted its interviews instead of pursuing the same witnesses.

"If the Department of Justice had gone after everybody with grand jury subpoenas, they probably would have been battling witness after witness after witness, these thousand-plus witnesses," he said. "They would have been battling Congress, who gets which witness first and who has the greater priority. Now what the Department of Justice can do is take a thousand-plus transcripts and they can use that to build their criminal investigation.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread