HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Inflation

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:28 AM

Inflation

I was looking at the inflation rate for other industrialized democracies like Canada, the U K, Germany, and Australia and they are all at or near historical highs. That suggests to me it's a global problem, not specific to any one country. I know that doesn't give succor to those being burdened by it.

3 replies, 519 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Inflation (Original post)
DemocratSinceBirth Saturday OP
paleotn Saturday #1
ymetca Saturday #2
FBaggins Saturday #3

Response to DemocratSinceBirth (Original post)

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:52 AM

1. A global supply chain....

built and leaned out for cost minimization during a time of relative peace, prosperity and ever expanding global trade...roughly 1990 to 2020. Mind bogglingly complex and interdependent. For instance.... from basic raw materials to assemblies, i.e. the parts for an average automobile, built in an American, German or Japanese assembly plant, are sourced from all over the globe.

Now bring that mind bogglingly complex supply chain to a screeching halt. Worse yet, try to bring it back online like flipping a light switch when the Covid "all clear" sounds. Tell me there's not going to be problems. Just the transport for getting those bazillion pieces parts from one supplier to a customer, who becomes another supplier to other customers and on and on to finally landing on the shelves at Walmart, is itself incredibly complex and completely jacked up right now. Add free market economics of supply, demand and gouge and you get where we are today.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat May 14, 2022, 10:55 AM

2. One might think

that a global cabal of the uber-rich are conspiring to squeeze every last dime out of our pockets before the whole thing collapses, or governments finally wake up and start clawing back all they stole from us.

With conspiracies there is always at least one that is completely true, and it's usually right out in the open.

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 11:33 AM

3. You're correct... but it doesn't help politically

Covid was a global problem yet Trump paid a high price for not handling it well here.

Inflation was also a global phenomenon in the late 70ís and early 80ís but Carter was clobbered.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread