HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Kathy Barnette's surge: M...

Fri May 13, 2022, 02:27 PM

Kathy Barnette's surge: MAGA candidates are outgrowing Trump (PA)

Tweet text:

Amanda Marcotte
@AmandaMarcotte
The rapid rise of Kathy Barnette in the Pennsylvania GOP primary is a real chickens-coming-home-to-roost moment for Republicans. Yes, she's nuts and a liar, but by backing Trump, they've signaled that being a nutty liar is not a liability for the GOP.

salon.com
Kathy Barnette's surge: MAGA candidates are outgrowing Trump
The far-right GOP Senate candidate could overtake Trump-endorsed Dr. Oz. Blame MAGA misogyny for her appeal
10:04 AM May 13, 2022

https://www.salon.com/2022/05/13/has-only-himself-to-for-kathy-barnette-pennsylvanias-terrifying-new-maga-darling/

Donald Trump is not happy about the shape of the Republican Senate primary in Pennsylvania. His fame and celebrity thirst led him to endorse TV star Dr. Mehmet Oz, an accomplished surgeon who gave it all up for the easy cash of peddling snake oil. But now it looks like Oz may lose his primary, dealing an embarrassing blow to Trump's fragile ego. Worse, Oz may not even lose to the generic Republican candidate, David McCormick, a walking MAGA-hat whose bland white guy looks can pass as "normal" to low-info swing voters. (I like to call this "pulling a Glenn Youngkin." No, the surging candidate is Kathy Barnette, a hard-right commentator and crank in the style of Christine O'Donnell or Todd Akin in other words, weird enough to pull in national attention, but with extreme views that could sink her in a general election race.

"Kathy Barnette will never be able to win the General Election against the Radical Left Democrats," Trump ranted in a statement released Thursday. He complained that she "has many things in her past which have not been properly explained or vetted," and argued that "Oz is the only one who will be able to easily defeat the Crazed, Lunatic Democrat in Pennsylvania."

Politico describes Barnette's poll surge as "somewhat puzzling." It's not, however, if one has been carefully following how much the backlash to the #MeToo movement and rising anger at feminism has been fueling Trumpism. Trump won in 2016 thanks to a widespread sexist tantrum over a woman, Hillary Clinton, winning the Democratic nomination for president. Trump reinforced the misogyny message throughout his campaign, starting with mocking a female journalist for menstruating and ending with an absurdly insincere apology for the "Access Hollywood" tape in which he can be heard boasting about sexual assault.

Barnette's entry into the Misogyny Olympics is outrageous even by MAGA's low standards. She's been circulating a video and a story about how her mother was raped at 11 years old in 1971. While the subsequent birth of Barnette is treated like a beautiful sacrifice on her mother's part, it is worth noting that she didn't exactly have many choices as a Black child in Alabama before Roe v. Wade.

*snip*

14 replies, 747 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply Kathy Barnette's surge: MAGA candidates are outgrowing Trump (PA) (Original post)
Nevilledog Friday OP
ColinC Friday #1
gab13by13 Friday #2
Lovie777 Friday #3
Demovictory9 Friday #4
Grins Friday #5
ColinC Friday #9
Deminpenn Friday #6
LymphocyteLover Friday #7
fightforfreedom Friday #8
Carlitos Brigante Friday #10
Nevilledog Saturday #13
WarGamer Friday #11
PA Democrat Friday #12
Initech Saturday #14

Response to Nevilledog (Original post)

Fri May 13, 2022, 02:46 PM

1. Dems should help repugs avoid extreme candidates they don't want nominated

Regardless of the perceived feasibility of those candidates chances in the primary. That is, if 2016 is any indication of what could happen.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri May 13, 2022, 03:21 PM

2. I hope she wins,

Fetterman will destroy her. I don't believe there is a chance in hell she wins the primary. Millions of dollars are pouring into McCormack's campaign. The Magats will probably rig the primary so he wins. What happened with Magat absentee ballots that ended up in the wrong place? It is more than just ballot harvesting, I bet my house they are flipping votes for Mccormack, or tossing out Barnette, Oz votes.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 05:24 PM

3. Geez whiz . ..

The insanity is strong with this group.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 05:27 PM

4. Hope she wins

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 05:57 PM

5. This is so cool!

She is a real flaming nutcase.

Oh, to be the D candidate running against this box-o-rocks!

Reply to this post

Response to Grins (Reply #5)

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:27 PM

9. Unless she wins.

Then it's very not cool, and the GOP just sent itself hurling into complete fascism.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:11 PM

6. She's nuts, but she's a true believer

and that comes across to the people who are voters.

Fwiw, her kooky counterpart, Doug Mastriano, is leading the R primary for gov.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:18 PM

7. I still don't get these people-- they are seriously delusional (?) but can function in normal life

and can run a political campaign?

Like MTG-- she's says nutty and dumb things, but there's still some basic coherence to her statements and she can speak in full sentences. She conducted herself and defended herself successfully under cross-examination in that little trial. She's not a flaming loonball who spouts off nonsense randomly every second.

I just don't get it.

Or is it an act and deep down they know it's just a game?

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:22 PM

8. Trump voters are nuts.

Extremism always burns it self out. If she wins, she will lose in the general election. Good news for the Democrats. It is now MAGA against Ultra MAGA. May the craziest asshole win.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:43 PM

10. I keep reading more about this lunatic. But can she really win? It seems

every election we get these "possible long-shot upset" stories. Based on a couple of polls. In the end, the fucking rubes will do what they're told.

Reply to this post

Response to Carlitos Brigante (Reply #10)

Sat May 14, 2022, 12:36 AM

13. She's a real peach

Tweet text:

Heartland Signal
@HeartlandSignal
Dasha Burns (NBC) confronts Kathy Barnette, a late-surging GOP PA Senate candidate, with old tweets.

BURNS: This tweet says "pedophilia is a cornerstone of Islam."

BARNETTE: Yea. Nope. Don't think that's me. I would never have said that.

The tweet (from Apr. 2015) is still up.

Watch on Twitter
12:16 PM May 13, 2022

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:45 PM

11. First she called President Obama a "Muslim"... then advocated for a statue of him and his family.

Certifiably crazy.

Reply to this post

Fri May 13, 2022, 06:54 PM

12. A Republican super PAC is already running ads against her linking her to......

oh the horror!!!! ..........Barack Obama.

Seriously, I guess she proposed having a statue of Obama and his family installed in Washington D.C. as proof of how far black people have come since the days of slavery.

I watched the local news for about 30 minutes today and almost every commercial was an attack ad by Republicans against other Republicans.

Reply to this post

Sat May 14, 2022, 01:23 AM

14. How are they going to win elections when their campaigns are circular firing squads?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread