HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » They worked for fifty yea...

Thu May 12, 2022, 07:21 PM

They worked for fifty years. Are we willing to do so, as well?

What the right figured out very quickly is that one issue can serve as a Trojan horse for a host of others. Before abortion, it was civil rights. That issue didn't resonate, because the times were moving in a direction which made Black civil rights something to support. In abortion, they found the issue which would get voters out, and lead to spill-over effects in other areas.

Now the right has gifted us with an opportunity to turn the tables. Just as abortion was a wedge issue for it, it now has the capacity to be one for our side. And Roe is more than just abortion. Roe is about bodily autonomy. Roe is about privacy rights in general. This is an issue which can motivate our voters. But, like the right, we have to all be singing from the same hymn book. No more purity contests. No more noble failures. Politics ain't whiffle ball. It's mean and dirty and bloody, and we had better get that through to our heads. If you can't compromise, if you can't make deals, if you can't get stuck in, you're not needed.

Read the rest here: https://establishmentbar.blogspot.com/2022/05/they-worked-for-fifty-years-are-we.html

2 replies, 564 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply They worked for fifty years. Are we willing to do so, as well? (Original post)
New Breed Leader May 12 OP
BlueGreenLady May 12 #1
elleng May 12 #2

Response to New Breed Leader (Original post)

Thu May 12, 2022, 07:31 PM

1. The enemy of my enemy is my friend

should be every Democrat's motto at this point.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to New Breed Leader (Original post)

Thu May 12, 2022, 08:08 PM

2. 'we have to all be singing from the same hymn book.

No more purity contests. No more noble failures. Politics ain't whiffle ball. It's mean and dirty and bloody, and we had better get that through to our heads.'

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread