HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Price Kids Pay: IL Sc...

Mon May 2, 2022, 08:08 AM

The Price Kids Pay: IL Schools and Police Punish Students With Costly Tickets for Minor Misbehavior

https://www.propublica.org/article/illinois-school-police-tickets-fines

The nearly 30 students summoned to the Tazewell County Courthouse that January morning were not facing criminal charges; they’d received tickets for violating a municipal ordinance while at school. Each was presented with a choice: agree to pay a fine or challenge the ticket at a later hearing. Failing to pay, they were told, could bring adult consequences, from losing their driving privileges to harming their future credit scores.

Across Illinois, police are ticketing thousands of students a year for in-school adolescent behavior once handled only by the principal’s office — for littering, for making loud noises, for using offensive words or gestures, for breaking a soap dish in the bathroom.

Ticketing students violates the intent of an Illinois law that prohibits schools from fining students as a form of discipline. Instead of issuing fines directly, school officials refer students to police, who then ticket them for municipal ordinance violations, an investigation by the Chicago Tribune and ProPublica has found.

Another state law prohibits schools from notifying police when students are truant so officers can ticket them. But the investigation found dozens of school districts routinely fail to follow this law.

“Basically schools are using this as a way to have municipalities do their dirty work,” said Jackie Ross, an attorney at Loyola University Chicago’s ChildLaw Clinic who specializes in school discipline. “It’s the next iteration of the school-to-prison pipeline. Schools might be patting themselves on the back and saying it’s just the school-to-municipality pipeline, but it’s the same philosophy.”

At the assembly-line hearings where many of these cases are handled, students have no right to legal representation and little chance to defend themselves against charges that can have long-term consequences. Ticket fines can be hundreds of dollars, presenting an impossible burden for some families, and administrative or court fees of up to $150 are often tacked on.

A note at the top of the article:

Update, April 29, 2022: Hours after the publication of this investigation on April 28, Illinois State Board of Education Superintendent Carmen Ayala urged school administrators across the state to stop working with police to ticket students, saying fines associated with the tickets hurt families and there’s no evidence they change students’ behavior.

10 replies, 643 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Price Kids Pay: IL Schools and Police Punish Students With Costly Tickets for Minor Misbehavior (Original post)
WhiskeyGrinder May 2 OP
chia May 2 #1
OldBaldy1701E May 2 #2
ck4829 May 2 #3
sop May 2 #4
mopinko May 2 #5
WhiskeyGrinder May 2 #6
Sympthsical May 2 #7
LiberatedUSA May 2 #9
Sympthsical May 2 #10
Iggo May 2 #8

Response to WhiskeyGrinder (Original post)

Mon May 2, 2022, 08:12 AM

1. This is insanity.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon May 2, 2022, 08:15 AM

2. So she 'urged' them to stop? That will fix it! (n/t)

Reply to this post

Mon May 2, 2022, 08:17 AM

3. Late stage capitalism has reached another absurd level

Reply to this post

Mon May 2, 2022, 08:30 AM

4. Taxpayers in the school district should pay these fines, not individual students or their parents.

Just like taxpayers have to pay huge jury verdicts every time a cop murders someone.

Reply to this post

Mon May 2, 2022, 10:02 AM

5. this is insane. just insane.

ffs, at least do this shit in juvie court, w the same rules and resources.
and ffs, give community service and counseling options.

and people wonder why some of us think we should defund the police.

Reply to this post

Response to mopinko (Reply #5)

Mon May 2, 2022, 10:11 AM

6. Juvenile court for swearing, making loud noises, breaking a soap dish?

Come the fuck on.

Reply to this post

Mon May 2, 2022, 10:14 AM

7. Detention doesn't pay for itself, you know

Gotta make these things profitable.

(Also, TF is going on in Illinois? I grew up in that school system. It's Democratic. Let's just criminalize children for funsies?)

Reply to this post

Response to Sympthsical (Reply #7)

Mon May 2, 2022, 02:06 PM

9. I guess the cops aren't getting enough from questionable traffic tickets.

And the school could use some more cash. Both can always rely on kids doing what kids do.

When I was in 2nd Grade something 35 years ago, I remember watching The Purple People Eater in the auditorium. This girl was sitting behind me and constantly bugging me purposefully. I turned around and punched her in the nose.

I got some swats in the hallway later on for it.

Done and dealt with. Over and out. Never was a repeat.

If that happened now-a-days, a kid acting out with their undeveloped child brain can expect a handcuffing (maybe even a tasering), trip to jail and all sorts of adult shit for something that should be settled in house; but won’t because the school system is wack-a-doodle compared to back then.

Reply to this post

Response to LiberatedUSA (Reply #9)

Mon May 2, 2022, 02:37 PM

10. One thing that really chapped my ass in Illinois high school

You could get a permit to park your (or more likely a parent's) car in the school lot or along the roads borderiing the baseball and soccer fields. However, the school actively invited/encouraged local police to comb through them all looking for expired tags, etc. They also threatened that if the police saw anything illegal or in violation of school standards in the car, they could/would act on it.

They were basically looking for alcohol or drugs, because the late 90s still weren't quite that "Bring your firearms to school" kind of culture. However, even cigarettes would warrant questioning, since most of us were under 18.

The whole adversarial vibe, "We're surveilling everything you do always," always rubbed me the wrong way. There was a time or two where a school official would threaten a car search by law enforcement if they ever thought they had cause. What that cause was? It was left vaguely. I can't remember if they ever made good on that.

But this was a very dumb, low crime suburb. The idea even then that school officials thought they could just go full asshole like that was certainly something. And that district was pretty insufferable for the times. I can only imagine how it goes now, given stories like the OP.

Reply to this post

Mon May 2, 2022, 10:33 AM

8. Tax the rich. (n/t)

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread