HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Potential threat of Elon ...

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 07:43 PM

Potential threat of Elon Musk's Twitter is bigger than misinformation: He can exploit your data, too

During the Gilded Age of the late 19th century, and the early decades of the 20th century, U.S. captains of industry such as William Randolph Hearst and Jay Gould used their massive wealth to dominate facets of the economy, including the news media. They were, in many ways, prototype oligarchs – by the dictionary definition, "very rich business leaders with a great deal of political influence."

Some have argued that the U.S. is in the midst of a Second Gilded Age defined – like the first – by vast wealth inequality, hyper-partisanship, xenophobia and a new crop of oligarchs using their vast wealth to purchase media and political influence.

Which brings us to the announcement on April 25, 2022, that Tesla billionaire Elon Musk is, barring any last-minute hitches, purchasing the social media platform Twitter. It will put the wealthiest man on the planet in control of one of the most influential means of communications in the world today.

As a media scholar, I suspect Musk's desire in buying Twitter goes beyond a desire to control and shape public discourse. Today's equivalent of the Gilded Age oligarchs – the handful of super-rich Americans gobbling up increasing chunks of the media landscape – will have that, but they will also have access to a trove of personal data of users and news consumers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/potential-threat-of-elon-musks-twitter-is-bigger-than-misinformation-he-can-exploit-your-data-too/ar-AAWFjzt

7 replies, 494 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Potential threat of Elon Musk's Twitter is bigger than misinformation: He can exploit your data, too (Original post)
Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin Apr 27 OP
secondwind Apr 27 #1
Haggis 4 Breakfast Apr 27 #2
DBoon Apr 27 #4
Scrivener7 Apr 27 #3
Haggis 4 Breakfast Apr 27 #5
Scrivener7 Apr 27 #6
TheBlackAdder Apr 27 #7

Response to Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (Original post)

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 07:46 PM

1. That's it.

I am closing my Twitter account. Don’t think I will miss it much.

It might even be good for me.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 08:06 PM

2. Call me crazy,

But I think this whole idea of him buying twitter started with that teenage boy who kept tracking Musk's plane by the tail numbers on the fuselage. Musk tried a ham-fisted approach to get the young man to stop, offering him $5000. He's a billionaire, and he thought that $5000 should take away the boy's rights to engage in a perfectly legal hobby. If he'd been smart, he would have encouraged the young man to study aerial reconnaissance, perhaps giving him a small tuitional grant, then hired him.

I wonder how long before Musk allows trumpie back on twitter. Or what other nefarious behaviors he will play out in this. I don't think anything good will come from this.

Reply to this post

Response to Haggis 4 Breakfast (Reply #2)

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 08:27 PM

4. Musk *IS* that petty he would do just that

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 08:15 PM

3. For all those who say, "There's no other way for me to keep in touch with the grandkids!":

...companies constantly surveil users on and off their platforms for the purpose of collecting and analyzing data – which include audio, video, typed words, GPS or even DNA – to open a window into a user's thoughts and cognitive processes.

In order to keep the data pouring in, big tech companies rely on techniques from the gambling industry to keep people addicted to their screen.

Reply to this post

Response to Scrivener7 (Reply #3)

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 08:35 PM

5. How did these people keep in touch with their grandkids

BEFORE twitter ??????????????

Reply to this post

Response to Haggis 4 Breakfast (Reply #5)

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 08:39 PM

6. I guess all the grandkids are illiterate and can't read a text or email. And none of them

have arms so they can't answer a phone call.

It's a sad situation.

Reply to this post

Wed Apr 27, 2022, 08:48 PM

7. It's like those cheap Family DNA tests, once those terms of service change, customers will be fucked

That information is not bound by HIPAA.

It can be sold to life and health insurance companies. Sold to employee background check companies. etc.

===

And this screws with every related family member's insurance and job prospect.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread