HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Social Media in Europe an...

Tue Apr 26, 2022, 08:35 AM

Social Media in Europe and the U.S.A.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substack.com/p/april-25-2022?s=r

As always, the professor's letters are rich with information. This is what stood out to me.

"This week, the European Union set out to bring some kind of order to social media, reaching a deal that would require Facebook, YouTube, and other internet services to combat misinformation, disclose their algorithms, and stop targeting users with divisive advertising. And yet, the U.S. today appeared to move in the opposite direction. Twitter announced it had reached an agreement with billionaire Elon Musk to sell Twitter to him. If he gets over all the next hurdles to the deal, that widespread information hub will become a company owned by a single man. Reporter Matthew Gertz from Media Matters wrote that last Friday, 18 House Republicans led by Jim Jordan wrote to the Twitter board that had previously opposed the sale to Musk, browbeating them to consider the sale, which they interpret as a win for right-wing voices that have been banned from current Twitter for spreading lies."

My take regarding Musk: I put him in the same boat as Zuckerberg. If you use their platforms, don't allow them to use you. For example, I use FB for specific groups that I can't find anywhere else, primarily for a couple of medical conditions I have. I also use a pseudonym.

0 replies, 403 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Reply to this thread