HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Interesting analysis of t...

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 12:36 AM

Interesting analysis of the DeStupid Disney thingy (found on Facebook)

WFTV reporter Nick Papantonis posted the info below on his Twitter account. Papantonis was the recipient of a Regional Edward R. Murrow Award for investigative reporting in 2020.

"There’s a lot of misinformation and confusion about what the end of Disney’s Reedy Creek district means for the company and for taxpayers. Here’s what I know, after talking to lobbyists, lawyers and tax officials:

For those of you who haven’t heard, Reedy Creek is the special tax district of Walt Disney World. It’s essentially its own city. Disney pays taxes to Reedy Creek, which operates a fire department, planning department, sewer treatment plant and public works department. Disney controls Reedy Creek, which means if they want to build a new hotel or highway, they just have to ask themselves for permission.

The biggest loss for Disney is the end of that control. It’s a lot easier to ask yourself for permission than to go to the county. While they already follow all laws and building codes and they’ll still get everything they want, it’s going to slow the process down. Potholes might develop on roads that they no longer pave themselves. They can’t just call a meeting or alter their comprehensive plan on a random Friday. They also can’t quickly finance new public projects like a fire station.

The bigger issue for everyone else is the tax revenue. Disney already pays the same local property taxes as every other landowner. Reedy Creek added its own tax on top of that to pay for its projects. That tax – $163 million per year – is illegal outside of the district. When Reedy Creek goes away, that tax goes away, and Orange and Osceola Counties can’t do anything to get it back.

However, the counties will now be responsible for all of the services Reedy Creek provides and all of the debt it has accumulated. They can’t raise sales taxes or impact fees. So, the counties will have to raise property taxes to make up the difference. They must tax every property equally – not just Disney – and therefore it’s expected that property taxes in Orange County will rise as much as 25% next June. Osceola, much smaller and less wealthy, is still working on its figures.

Lawyers largely agree that the state followed all the laws while doing this. They agree Disney may sue, but probably doesn’t have much ground to stand on. Some believe a vote of residents or delegates from the district is required to make this legal. That doesn’t appear to be the case here because a vote was never held to implement the district 55 years ago.

Essentially, Disney will lose some control of its property, and get a $163 million per year tax break and ~$1 billion of debt passed onto taxpayers. Some things will be negotiated – Disney still controls Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, two actual towns within RCID. Lawmakers might backtrack from this plan during the next session now that they’re realizing what they’ve done. However, aside from maybe taking away the company’s ability to build a nuclear plant, we have yet to hear how this benefits Florida and especially the local residents in any way.

The residents, by the way, had no say in this vote, no say in their property taxes going through the roof, and no desire to have their communities staring at financial ruin thanks to 72 hours of orchestrated revenge."

26 replies, 1402 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply Interesting analysis of the DeStupid Disney thingy (found on Facebook) (Original post)
question everything Apr 24 OP
skylucy Apr 24 #1
Baitball Blogger Apr 24 #2
Lunabell Apr 24 #5
obamanut2012 Apr 24 #12
Baitball Blogger Apr 24 #17
question everything Apr 24 #19
Baitball Blogger Apr 24 #21
TreasonousBastard Apr 24 #3
Lunabell Apr 24 #6
Layzeebeaver Apr 24 #10
obamanut2012 Apr 24 #13
Captain Zero Apr 24 #15
Diablo del sol Apr 24 #22
Metaphorical Apr 24 #4
ShazzieB Apr 24 #9
Phoenix61 Apr 24 #7
Diablo del sol Apr 24 #23
BadgerKid Apr 24 #8
Beartracks Apr 24 #11
lostnfound Apr 24 #14
maxrandb Apr 24 #16
question everything Apr 24 #20
maxrandb Apr 24 #24
Tickle Apr 24 #18
maxrandb Apr 24 #25
Tickle Apr 24 #26

Response to question everything (Original post)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 12:40 AM

1. K & R !

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 12:48 AM

2. The only thing I disagree with is the comment that Disney doesn't have much ground to stand on.

It is going to take some serious reading of the paperwork before that can be determined. I'll wait for the Disney lawyers to let us know they give up.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 01:57 AM

5. Yes, I've read differently.

That Disney has a great case. And also, you gotta figure that desatan will lose a lot of corporate backing for his shenanigans. I'm no corporatist, but I hope Disney wins against Florida and gets back every perk that was taken ftom them and more.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #2)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 05:45 AM

12. Yup, and Florida attorneys also say Disney has a great case

DeSantis actually didn't follow laws, he broke state and Federal laws to do this.

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #12)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 09:51 AM

17. I've seen these kind of abusive political overreaches for as long as I've lived here.

My city continually ignored due process in land development, until it was something they could use against someone. This kind of abuse should have been expected In Florida where we have lawyers who think it's okay to be public and private attorneys at the same time, and if they don't personally have a conflict of interest, someone in the law firm can provide one for them.

Since it's a good ole boy state where lawyers are not good at policing each other the people are continually being legally underrepresented. Our old City Attorney wouldn't even support charges against another lawyer who did harm to our city because, well, he might have to work with him. I have to dig up the city meeting records to find the exact wording, but it is along those lines.

Florida lawyers are so accustom at not being held accountable for the bad advice they give in public office that it's no surprise that someone like De Santis would rise to the top and think he could do anything.

Reply to this post

Response to Baitball Blogger (Reply #17)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 10:37 AM

19. For years Florida was described as "cheaters heaven" where individuals and

business could get away with bad debts. I wonder whether this is still the case.

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #19)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 10:45 AM

21. Oh yeah.

Especially if they have friends in the business network and are willing to provide support to the politically connected people who need bodies to frighten and harass other people. Or, just to commit fraud to silence us in city hall meetings. That’s what they did to me and my family. It’s a network that ensures that our communities are kept in fear and uncertainty. Deep in the rabbit hole.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 12:50 AM

3. And this is going to get DeSantis to the White House? How?

Reply to this post

Response to TreasonousBastard (Reply #3)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 01:58 AM

6. Not without corporate money.

I think corporations will think twice about backing him after this.

Reply to this post

Response to Lunabell (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 03:28 AM

10. His Disney donations will plummet.

If he ever had some 🥴

Reply to this post

Response to Layzeebeaver (Reply #10)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 05:46 AM

13. He had many Disney donations

Including a big donation not too long ago

Reply to this post

Response to obamanut2012 (Reply #13)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 06:44 AM

15. So DeSatan has only proven he doesn't stay BOUGHT

nice.
He's unreliable.

Reply to this post

Response to Captain Zero (Reply #15)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 10:50 AM

22. Disney is getting a HUGE tax break

Disney is now in a win/win situation. At worst they get a haircut on some of the debt they, a private corporation ran up.

They have people defending them who otherwise would have despised them.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 12:56 AM

4. How far can DeSantos go before someone launches a recall

Disney underpins the Florida economy. Were Disney to leave, it would devastate the state. While I agree that, in general, it's bad to let any given business become that central to the economy of a state, I'd also argue that, in this case, Disney has been a responsible steward, which makes DeSantos' moves just all the more unfathomable. There's arrogance, then there's DeSantos.

Reply to this post

Response to Metaphorical (Reply #4)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 03:22 AM

9. Florida doesn't have recalls.

Only 19 states have those, and Florida's not one of them.

https://ballotpedia.org/Laws_governing_recall

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 03:08 AM

7. The reality is this is a win for Disney. They've paid property

taxes to the county for decades and gotten jack squat return. Now the county will have to provide the services they’ve been getting paid to provide.

Reply to this post

Response to Phoenix61 (Reply #7)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 10:56 AM

23. Exactly!!!!

And as a part of the negotiations the County will take on Disney debt. Taxes will go up on home owners for debt run up by Disney.

Disney would rather have Repukes in power, would rather transfer it's debt, can come across as supporting employees and their rights. To get this they just need to sit back and deal with ignorant repuke bashing for a few weeks.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 03:19 AM

8. So...limit Disney's self-governance but cut corp. tax and socialize the debt?

The GOP is batting .667 on this one.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 03:43 AM

11. Desantis is a dipshit.

But then so is Trump, and that's turned out to be dangerous for democracy.

=========

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 06:23 AM

14. It's always about money. What does Disney lose vs what do they ga

What they say in public may not be what they said to desantis when they donated.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 08:49 AM

16. The residents "did" have a say in this

How many of them voted for DeDipshit?

Reply to this post

Response to maxrandb (Reply #16)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 10:39 AM

20. Unfortunately, his Democratic opponent was a weak one in an otherwise R leaning state

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #20)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 11:09 AM

24. It is frustrating

If Americans really gave a shit about Democracy and decency, Retrumplicans would lose to a ham sandwich.

It as almost like saying; "well, Putin had a week opponent in a land that leans fascist."

Democrats and sane people need to do a better job of voting against evil.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 10:33 AM

18. No ones properly taxes have

been increased because of this. It doesn’t even go into effect until 6/23. I predict it will not happen as Disney stocks are on the downside since this “war” started.

Should Florida really end this relationship with Disney no one really knows the outcome because it will be a first

Reply to this post

Response to Tickle (Reply #18)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 11:12 AM

25. Watching corporations fight with Retrumplicans

Is like watching Hitler fight Stalin.

I don't really care who wins, I just root for a lot of injuries.

Reply to this post

Response to maxrandb (Reply #25)

Sun Apr 24, 2022, 11:15 AM

26. lol nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread