HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Tom Barrack... Who is he,...

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 11:07 AM

Tom Barrack... Who is he, what is his trial about and how does it connect to Kushner and TFG.

There is a lot here... Not just in this post but at the links... And really, I can't stress enough that you should take it all in... I think this scumbag has been overlooked by people and I find it nice to know that DOJ has more than one thing they have been going after TFG and his allies for... Things are in fact going on that get almost no coverage by any major media until the parts start falling together. I've seen lots of people not happy about the Kushner revelations and why is DOJ not on it... Well, they are and have been for some time so... Lets see how we got here.

Tom Barrack a billionaire ally of TFG. He is the founder and executive chairman of Colony Capital (he stepped down last year)... See what they are up to, now that they are DigitalBridge and note this part here:

In June 2018, The New York Times reported that Colony North Star had raised more than $7 billion in investments since Donald Trump won the 2016 presidential election.[21] 24 percent of the money came from the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DigitalBridge

Yes, he has made a lot of money for himself since TFG became president.

And he helped TFG become president, from the Political Activity section:

Barrack endorsed Donald Trump during the 2016 United States presidential election.[40] He was a major fundraiser for Trump's campaign through the "Rebuilding America Now" Super PAC, which raised $23 million.[19][41][42]

Barrack recommended that Trump hire Paul Manafort as his campaign manager. Barrack first met Manafort in the 1970s when they were both working for Saudis and living in Beirut.[21] In 2007, Barrack had loaned Manafort $1.5 million to refinance a home in the Hamptons.[19]

--snip--

Barrack was interviewed during the Special Counsel investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, in particular regarding Paul Manafort, Rick Gates, Konstantin Kilimnik, Cambridge Analytica, the Trump campaign, the Trump transition team, and the financing of the Trump inauguration.[45][46]

In May 2019, it was reported that the Eastern District of New York had "raised questions" about inaugural committee donations, including committee chairman Barrack's ties to the Middle East.[47]

Throughout the election campaign, transition period and inauguration process, Barrack is said to have had been in touch with people having ties in the ruling family of the United Arab Emirates, including Rashid al-Malik, a friend and business associate of Barrack and Yousef al-Otaiba UAE's ambassador to the US. According to a New York Times report published in July 2019, Barrack also exchanged emails with Malik, sharing with him a draft of Trump's energy policy speech to seek approval on the 'pro-gulf region language'. Malik, as per the emails, "circulated the draft among Emirati and Saudi officials" to seek further approval, followed by Mr. Barrack incorporating the language suggested by Malik in the draft sent to Paul Manafort, Trump's campaign chairman at the time.[48]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Barrack

Some more things to know about Tom Barrack:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/money-and-power/g13034515/thomas-barrack-jr-facts/

So... What is Tom Barrack charged with? We have being an agent working at the direction of a foreign power, obstructing justice, and making false statements to law enforcement.

Why does this matter? Well... First off, it's a close ally of TFG being nailed to the wall and that is always nice to see. more importantly, what country is he working at the direction of? Why, it's the UAE, from the middle of the article:

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn investigating Tom Barrack, a prominent ally to former President Donald Trump, for allegedly violating foreign lobbying laws had enough evidence to bring charges last year, but held off doing so until the arrival of the new presidential administration, according to people briefed on the matter.

Prosecutors wanted to move forward on the case and believed they could obtain an indictment, one source familiar with the matter said. The source said the investigation was mostly done well before the time period when prosecutors are discouraged from advancing politically sensitive matters ahead of an election.

But two sources tell CNN the US attorney in Brooklyn at the time, Richard Donoghue, expressed misgivings about the case. It’s unclear if he delayed the case outright or if prosecutors chose not to move forward at the time knowing the US attorney would not support it.

Then-Attorney General William Barr was also known inside the department to have reservations, in general, about foreign lobbying cases, which the Justice Department has struggled to prosecute in the past.

A spokesman for the Brooklyn US attorney’s office declined to comment.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2021/07/24/the-significance-of-tom-barracks-obstruction-and-false-statements-charges/

But Joe... Why do we care about this... When will you get to the damn point?

OK, sorry for the length here but it's important to see how we got to where we are... All of the background is needed to get a conviction in court... And now Tom Barrack is giving up the connection from what he was doing straight to Kushner and TFG. So lets see what old Tom is saying now that he is figuring out he is nailed. This is selected portions because I can't put it all here but go read the article, it is all layed out and cited... But here is some of it starting from near the end:

Remember: Barrack is alleged to have been pursuing policies pushed by Mohammed bin Zayed. But among the things he is accused of doing for the Emirates was to “force” the White House to elevate Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman (then just the Deputy Crown Prince) during a visit to DC in March 2017. At the time the FBI interviewed Barrack in June 2019, Trump was under significant pressure for his possible complicity in the Jamal Khashoggi assassination.

And now — at a time when EDNY is talking about indicting Barrack’s not-yet indicted co-conspirators — we learn that MbS invested $2 billion dollars in Jared Kushner’s brand new firm even in spite of all the reasons not to.

Six months after leaving the White House, Jared Kushner secured a $2 billion investment from a fund led by the Saudi crown prince, a close ally during the Trump administration, despite objections from the fund’s advisers about the merits of the deal.

--snip--

But days later the full board of the $620 billion Public Investment Fund — led by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s de facto ruler and a beneficiary of Mr. Kushner’s support when he worked as a White House adviser — overruled the panel.

--snip--

But the apparent claim that Trump knew about this — and the possibility that Barr did too, at least after the fact — would change the kind of crime that happened in 2017, after Trump became President. And, possibly, the culprit.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/04/13/tom-barrack-claims-trump-knew-barrack-was-catering-us-foreign-policy-to-the-emirates/

I can't stress enough reading and digesting the entire article... It shows how the DOJ has built this case to go after Kushner & TFG, for crimes not related to 1/6, and in a manner that is provable in court.

Sorry this is so big, I know it's an ask for it all to be taken in but... I think we should know. Sheesh... I'm going off to smoke, then make lunch and then be a space pirate in the latest No Man's Sky update... I'll check back later to see what everyone thinks about all this.

8 replies, 983 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Tom Barrack... Who is he, what is his trial about and how does it connect to Kushner and TFG. (Original post)
Ohio Joe Apr 2022 OP
OAITW r.2.0 Apr 2022 #1
padfun Apr 2022 #2
Ohio Joe Apr 2022 #3
padfun Apr 2022 #8
Ohio Joe Apr 2022 #4
MagickMuffin Apr 2022 #5
PCIntern Apr 2022 #6
Ohio Joe Apr 2022 #7

Response to Ohio Joe (Original post)

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 11:27 AM

1. We have always been more focused on the Trump- Putin relationship

I think partially because they were so open about it. Trump didn't spend on a lot of time with MBS. But I am now realizing it's probably because Jared was VP of the SA portfolio.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 11:55 AM

2. I have just one question.

I read all of this but the question I came out with is: Is No Mans Sky worth it to play?

I bought it on Steam years ago and just never got around to playing it. (I buy lots of games I don't play. It helps the programmer and gaming community.)

Reply to this post

Response to padfun (Reply #2)

Fri Apr 15, 2022, 03:40 PM

3. oh yes...

I did a write up on it last May in the Gaming Group and kept it updated for a while but you can see all of that here:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/12115404

And they have steadily continued to update it with plans for plenty more to come.

Reply to this post

Response to Ohio Joe (Reply #3)

Fri Apr 29, 2022, 06:35 PM

8. Wow, I'm impressed!

The developers really did a great job remaking this game. So now I've got a "new" game to play.

I was playing Timberborn and it is a good game. It is still in early access.

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 10:50 AM

4. Kick...

Just to give it one more try at exposure… I really thought people would be interested

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 11:10 AM

5. A lot to take in: BIG K & R

Bookmarked for sure

Thx Ohio Joe!

Reply to this post

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 11:13 AM

6. From Wikipedia(Holy shit)

Barrack's first job was at the law firm of Herbert W. Kalmbach, President Richard Nixon's personal lawyer. In 1972, the firm sent him to Saudi Arabia, where he soon became the squash partner of a Saudi prince. He then worked in the kingdom for the Fluor Corporation, and worked for Saudi princes. Shortly after, he helped open diplomatic relations between Saudi Arabia and Haiti, then ruled by Jean-Claude Duvalier, at the request of investor Lonnie Dunn.

Reply to this post

Response to PCIntern (Reply #6)

Sun Apr 17, 2022, 09:23 PM

7. Yeah... A lot of shady shit...

I won’t shed any tears when Barrack dies in prison.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread