HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » CNN: Russia has surrounde...

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 06:23 PM

CNN: Russia has surrounded Ukraine on three sides. (The latest troop movements).

(CNN)Russia has amassed more than 100,000 troops near Ukraine's border in recent weeks, according to US estimates, raising fears from Western and Ukrainian intelligence officials that an invasion could be imminent.

As frantic diplomatic efforts are made to avert war, analysts are warning that Russia's military poses an immediate threat to Ukraine.
But if an invasion were to occur, it is not clear where it would begin. Russia has created pressure points on three sides of Ukraine -- in Crimea to the south, on the Russian side of the two countries' border, and in Belarus to the north.

Here are the three fronts Ukraine and the West are watching, and the recent Russian movements detected in each.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/12/europe/russia-ukraine-invasion-paths-map-cmd-intl/index.html

18 replies, 1083 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply CNN: Russia has surrounded Ukraine on three sides. (The latest troop movements). (Original post)
Tomconroy Feb 2022 OP
brer cat Feb 2022 #1
Texaswitchy Feb 2022 #2
Irish_Dem Feb 2022 #3
Chainfire Feb 2022 #5
Irish_Dem Feb 2022 #8
Chainfire Feb 2022 #6
Irish_Dem Feb 2022 #9
Tommy Carcetti Feb 2022 #11
Chainfire Feb 2022 #13
Chainfire Feb 2022 #14
Irish_Dem Feb 2022 #15
Igel Feb 2022 #4
bdamomma Feb 2022 #7
Irish_Dem Feb 2022 #10
EndlessWire Feb 2022 #12
roamer65 Feb 2022 #16
Wicked Blue Feb 2022 #17
moondust Feb 2022 #18

Response to Tomconroy (Original post)

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 06:27 PM

1. I feel terrible for the people of Ukraine.

It will be a bloody mess if Russia invades.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 06:35 PM

2. My cousin in the Czech Republic is on the edge.

Her grandsons are in the military.

Called up.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 06:48 PM

3. If Ukraine is encircled, will they fight or surrender?

Reply to this post

Response to Irish_Dem (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:17 PM

5. They probably have to fight, even if it is suicdial.

Reply to this post

Response to Chainfire (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:32 PM

8. With one side open, they could flee.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:18 PM

6. The bigger question is, will anyone come to their aide? Russia thinks not.

It will be the invasion of Poland all over. I am waiting for the Ukrainians to "attack" the Russians. Wait for it.

Reply to this post

Response to Chainfire (Reply #6)

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:40 PM

9. Right, Hitler falsely accused Poland before he invaded them.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:51 PM

11. They're going to fight really hard.

They are not up for any nonsense.

Even in cities like Kharkiv or Odessa where Putin mistakenly thinks he might have some sympathy.

And he’s not even going to bother with the western part of the country.

Reply to this post

Response to Tommy Carcetti (Reply #11)

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 08:11 PM

13. with a little luck, Putin won't be able to pick and choose where he fights.

I suspect that the Ukrainians have a collective memory of what it was to live under the Russians, before, during and after WWII. If the Ukrainians bloody his nose enough, the Russian people may turn on Putin themselves. If they cause the Russians to have to spend too much money, the Oligarchs may deal with him.

Ukraine is just the first step for Putin. He already has had his Rhineland, bloodless coup, victory in the Crimea, now he wants to show the world his muscle. He has weakened the Democracies like a master and he feels free to move when the time is right. If the Democracies of the world want Peace in out time, we may just have to fight for it. Putin won't stop as long as he can draw a breath.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 08:15 PM

14. with a little luck, Putin won't be able to pick and choose where he fights.

I suspect that the Ukrainians have a collective memory of what it was to live under the Russians, before, during and after WWII. If the Ukrainians bloody his nose enough, the Russian people may turn on Putin themselves. If they cause the Russians to have to spend too much money, the Oligarchs may deal with him.

Ukraine is just the first step for Putin. He already has had his Rhineland, bloodless coup, victory in the Crimea, now he wants to show the world his muscle. He has weakened the Democracies like a master and he feels free to move when the time is right. If the Democracies of the world want Peace in out time, we may just have to fight for it. Putin won't stop as long as he can draw a breath.

Chesty Puller, the God of all Marines once said, “We’re surrounded. That simplifies the problem.”
“They are in front of us, behind us, and we are flanked on both sides by an enemy that outnumbers us 29:1. They can’t get away now.”

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 08:17 PM

15. Russian massive air strikes and missiles would cause many civilian deaths

and destroy the infrastructure very quickly.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 06:51 PM

4. There's more.

Trans-Dnistria, on Ukraine's SW flank:
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2022/02/01/russia-stages-drills-in-moldovas-breakaway-transnistria-a76222

Additional amphibious ships for landing troops on shore lines:
https://news.usni.org/2022/02/08/six-ship-russian-navy-amphibious-group-attack-sub-approach-black-sea-as-warships-mass-in-the-mediterranean

These two aren't large, but would constitution a serious distraction.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:25 PM

7. surrounded on all 3 sides

but Putin is saying he will not invade, what a fcuking a$$. Putin the little dick...tator

Reply to this post

Response to bdamomma (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:40 PM

10. Not a good situation.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 07:54 PM

12. Diplomatic impasse

All talks between diplomats have failed. I didn't read anywhere that Russia had changed its criteria. They would like to see NATO destroyed or crippled. And, now you have all these neighboring countries begging for additional troops. It seems to me that Putin caused this; nobody is interested in invading Russia. He made the whole thing up to threaten his neighbors.

Today you have most, if not all, major countries telling their citizens to vacate Ukraine as rapidly as possible. Embassies have drawn down their staffs, or closed. Russia itself has recalled its embassy. (If they are not planning for war, what does this mean? I do not think it is a Lazrov joke, done just for appearances sake.) One major airline, from Germany I think, has stopped flights to the country. First lifeline gone.

I wonder if Russia has considered that perhaps Ukraine might recover Crimea. If a major naval battle occurs there, we will shoot back at whoever is shooting at us. And, we'll be at war with Russia.

I wonder if other countries' citizens might cry for help, if they haven't listened, and draw us in. As it is, I think that Russia has done enough psychological warfare, drawing out promises that NATO will not fight for Ukraine, and now Putin thinks that he will just fight Ukraine, and will win. I just can't see that happening. And, if he takes Ukraine, he will still have NATO countries on his border, which tells me Putin is a stinking liar. And those NATO countries will have big problems from then on.

Russia is stirring up trouble everywhere on the planet. He's down there in Argentina and Brazil, doing G-d knows what, to keep South America on his side. And, he's screwing with Venezuela. So, he seems to be lining up his ducks in a row.

There won't be any proper border respect if he starts a war with Ukraine. How far away is Moscow? Not so far, and who knows what Moscovites will do? Get rid of Putin for them. Give them freedom. And, NATO didn't start this standoff.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 10:13 PM

16. It's going to get ugly.

Old ethnic rivalries are going to ensure it.

Yugoslavia style.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 10:22 PM

17. Here's CNN's map

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 12, 2022, 11:06 PM

18. Legitimate military exercises.

Everybody does it: conduct "legitimate military exercises" by surrounding a coveted neighboring country on three sides. U.S. does it to Canada and Mexico all the time. Mexico and Canada do it to the U.S. France does it to Spain. Germany does it to Poland.

Amirite, Foxies? Pooty Caucus? Anybody?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread