HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Twitter thread:1 in 20 pa...

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 07:26 PM

Twitter thread:1 in 20 patients in a SF hospital for reasons other than covid are testing positive.

@Bob_Wachter on twitter has a long thread about the jump in asymptomatic covid patients in one hospital in San Francisco--people who were admitted for reasons other than covid, have no symptoms, but test positive for covid upon admission. It has jumped from one in five hundred pre-delta to one in twenty. He says that in San Francisco, at least, if you are in a room with twenty-five people the odds are high that someone has an asymptomatic infection.

That is scary. But in other ways, he points out, it is good news: this, combines with the fact that hospitalizations have not increased, is the strongest indication yet that omicron is less likely to cause severe illness than other variants.

Of course, as he points out, San Francisco has a higher rate of vaccination than many other parts of the country.

To me (Bob Wachter hasn't tweeted this), this explains why the surge in South Africa seems to have already peaked.

You can read the whole thread, unrolled, here: https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1474514977650196480.html

Edited to add: the comments coming in now on his thread from other epidemiologists are informative, too, and in some cases have a different slant.

5 replies, 785 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Twitter thread:1 in 20 patients in a SF hospital for reasons other than covid are testing positive. (Original post)
femmedem Dec 2021 OP
beaglelover Dec 2021 #1
femmedem Dec 2021 #2
beaglelover Dec 2021 #3
femmedem Dec 2021 #4
Meowmee Dec 2021 #5

Response to femmedem (Original post)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 07:49 PM

1. This is quite amazing news!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to beaglelover (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:02 PM

2. Yes, I was gobsmacked!

Even though the odds of catching it regardless of how careful I am are even higher than I thought, I'm now much less anxious about it. The good news outweighs the bad!

Reply to this post

Response to femmedem (Reply #2)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:06 PM

3. I agree. I think we're all going to catch it now

I agree. I think we’re all going to catch it now No matter how many masks we wear. Hopefully if you are fully vaccinated and have the booster it will be a very mild case and then you’ll have super immunity.

Reply to this post

Response to beaglelover (Reply #3)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:19 PM

4. Yes! I had a mild sore throat for a few days and tested negative yesterday.

Now I half-wish it had been positive!

Reply to this post

Response to femmedem (Original post)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:31 PM

5. Time wil tell

I am not making decisions based on this tweet/ article. It also depends on why they went to er/ hospital. Many people early on went in with clots/ heart issues. And other emergencies but it was really due to covid. Everyone needs to keep sd/ masking, get a third shot etc. If it ends up at the million cases per day predicted by some, there are going to be more serious cases and deaths anyway and hospitals etc will be overwhelmed. The rapid spread will also grow more mutations. Even a mild case of covid can have serious longterm effects.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread