HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Some speculate that omicr...

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:12 PM

Some speculate that omicron will spread fast and burn out, marking the pandemic's finale

Some speculate that omicron will spread fast and burn out, marking the pandemic's finale
The traits of omicron, and its peculiar pattern of spread in other countries, suggests that this may be the end

By MATTHEW ROZSA
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 23, 2021 3:21PM

The incredibly rapid spread of the omicron variant has sparked fears of another long, brutal COVID wave in the United States. Yet in contrast to recent reports predicting an exacerbated pandemic, some scientists theorize that omicron's peculiar pattern of spread may actually be a sign that the pandemic is about to quickly wind down.

In less than three weeks, the omicron variant has swept through the United States. At the start of December, it accounted for fewer than 1 percent of new COVID-19 infections; by Dec. 20, it had managed to comprise more than seven out of ten new cases; by Dec. 22, it had been confirmed in all 50 states. The consensus view among experts has been that the American people should prepare for a very rough time. On Tuesday, President Biden delivered a historic address to announce new measures for helping Americans prepare for omicron's spread, most notably urging everyone to get vaccinated (including booster shots) and promising to give out free at-home coronavirus tests.

Now, some scientists believe the situation facing Americans with the omicron variant could be less dire than the early red flags indicated. Beyond that, omicron may even mark the beginning of the end ó when the pandemic moves from a pandemic to an endemic phase.

Part of the reason has to do with the situation in South Africa, one of the first countries to have been overwhelmed by the omicron variant. There, in the country where doctors first discovered the mutant virus, there has been a sudden drop in infections. Gauteng, the province that researchers believe was the epicenter of the outbreak, has passed its peak of infections, while most other provinces appear to be approaching a similar point. The overall number of new COVID-19 cases in the country has declined by more than 20 percent as of Dec. 18, according to a recent report by the National Institute for Communicable Diseases. ...............(more)

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/23/some-speculate-that-omicron-will-spread-fast-and-out-marking-the-pandemics-finale/

13 replies, 1249 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to marmar (Original post)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:27 PM

1. The authors of this projection are setting us up for a fall.

that is, if the projection proves incorrect, it will bite harder than 2021.

I hope people donít spread this story.

Keep masking or stay home.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Tetrachloride (Reply #1)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:35 PM

3. no chance

too many people are traveling and gathering for Christmas - they just do not care

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:27 PM

2. Let's hope so ....

although Delta is still killing.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:36 PM

4. I just posted an OP about the huge number of asymptomatic people testing positive.

One in twenty patients in one San Francisco hospital who are asymptomatic for covid are suddenly testing positive. If that is even close to true in the general population, it would explain how it could flare up and suddenly die back.

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216180812

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:36 PM

5. I just hope this is the end of this nightmare!

Go away COVID, we don't want you!

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 06:38 PM

6. That's what I'm hoping. 🙏 nt

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 07:01 PM

7. Some people are saying...

We know how thatís worked out for the past five years.

Iíd like to be positive, butwhy speculate publicly on this? Itís a message to everyone that business as usual is just fine. Why mask and why vaccinate if this is the final stage?

Scientists or not, this kind of speculation Is idiotic.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 07:07 PM

8. I will wait for Dr. Fauci and other expert opinions

Reply to this post

Response to PortTack (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:27 PM

9. +100 I like the way you think! And I'll keep masking, distancing, sanitizing and getting

every booster I can! I think we oughta raffle Manchin's yacht and Maserati off to us
survivors!

Reply to this post

Response to abqtommy (Reply #9)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 09:37 PM

13. ☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Reply to this post

Response to PortTack (Reply #8)

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:39 PM

11. I hope the article proves correct but I'm with you

I'll wait for the experts.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 08:37 PM

10. While it may be getting more moderate, I expect the virus to be endemic for years to come.

Reply to this post

Fri Dec 24, 2021, 09:07 PM

12. It could happen if the people with lots of social connections become immune

The spread is largely driven by a small number of people who have lots of close contacts socially. Once they become immune, it is a lot harder for the disease to spread among the remaining population of people who are more disconnected.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread